waynebretl

Bell Pavilion in Boys Life July 1964

That was great, Wayne, thanks!

It's hard to communicate to folks today, just how far the 1964 World's Fair reached into American culture, advertising and marketing during the Fair years and leading up to the Fair.

People often ask "so, tell me about this fair of yours ... what was the big deal?"... and I really am at a loss for words to describe it.

I usually say something they can relate to which is "Imagine building all of Disney World... keeping it open for six-months in each of two years... then tearing the entire thing down and making it a flat, grassland park.

That usually raises an eyebrow, but there's still no way to describe how it was in every magazine - from Good Housekeeping to Popular Science to National Geographic to Boy's Life to Elevators Monthly!

Is there any event with that kind of impact, today? Maybe the Olympics?

I looked at www.nywf64.com and I found information on the exhibit hall, the ride and the construction of the wing. Also I found some photos of the microwave tower along side the main building, but nothing in detail. I was hoping somebody had some good photos of the tower base showing the equipment inside. Even the Bell System brochure does not really talk about it.

Thanks for the link/post!

Wow, I haven't heard the term "Western Electric Installer" since I was one as a summer job in the 60's (unfortunately not at the Fair).

That Boy's Life was one of the wordiest panels I've ever seen. The text balloons took over the artwork.

After reading all that optimistic verbiage about the future of communication, Bell Labs would be happy to know that just today I used the Target Store App for iPad incorporating Nuance voice recognition software.

It's rumored to appear in iOS5, but until then I decided to sample it and make a grocery shopping list. That technology has been kinda hit or miss in the past but this one understood my spoken words, "olive oil" ; "coffee" ; "stewed tomatoes" ; "frozen corn" well enough.

I may not get to Publix in my jet pack, but I can speak a grocery list into a tablet. That's progressland.

Randy,

that photo looks like the back of my HDTV.

that photo looks like the back of my HDTV.

There's no one on a ladder behind mine, but otherwise, yeah. :D

That was great, Wayne, thanks!

It's hard to communicate to folks today, just how far the 1964 World's Fair reached into American culture, advertising and marketing during the Fair years and leading up to the Fair.

People often ask "so, tell me about this fair of yours ... what was the big deal?"... and I really am at a loss for words to describe it.

I usually say something they can relate to which is "Imagine building all of Disney World... keeping it open for six-months in each of two years... then tearing the entire thing down and making it a flat, grassland park.

That usually raises an eyebrow, but there's still no way to describe how it was in every magazine - from Good Housekeeping to Popular Science to National Geographic to Boy's Life to Elevators Monthly!

Is there any event with that kind of impact, today? Maybe the Olympics?

I answered many a question like this today at a Antique Fair. They couldn't believe a kid (Well, to them.) thought that way.

Got some great stuff, though. :D I'll have to post pics.