Sign in to follow this  
beekeeper

Pipe from First World's Fair US : Columbian Exposition of 1893

I think some may find interest in my pipe.

The pipe was purchased at the First U.S. World's Fair, Columbian Exposition, Chicago, IL, 1893. This is identified on the bottom of the neck with India Ink. In the form of an Indian Chief, his nose holds a Stanhope featuring six photos of Niagara Falls, NY. I'm looking for any additional information about this pipe.

You can visit my Web page with 10 photos for details.

-beekeeper

I think some may find interest in my pipe.

The pipe was purchased at the First U.S. World's Fair, Columbian Exposition, Chicago, IL, 1893. This is identified on the bottom of the neck with India Ink. In the form of an Indian Chief, his nose holds a Stanhope featuring six photos of Niagara Falls, NY. I'm looking for any additional information about this pipe.

You can visit my Web page with 10 photos for details.

-beekeeper

Hi beekeeper! Thanks for posting this interesting item.

Just to clarify, the Columbian Exposition wasn't the first world's fair in the United States. Two notable US fairs before 1893 were New York City's Exhibition of the Industry of All Nations in 1853 and Philadelphia's Centennial Exposition in 1876.

Thanks for the information. Any educated guesses at what type of wood this might be? It's very light. I've heard briar and mesquite but neither were certain. I realize it's difficult to identify based solely on the photos but perhaps someone will recognize it.