15 replies to this topic

#1 gary h

gary h

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:51 AM

Hi, just found these, taken in late summer, early fall of 1966. OR 1967. On reflection, even though the pictures say 1966 on the back, I don't think the park was in the shape it was until the official re-opening in Summer, 1967. THis trip, though, was definitely in the late summer, early fall, though, of one of those two years.
Attached File  Flushing Meadow Park - 1966 - 1.jpg   284KB   296 downloads
Attached File  Flushing Meadow Park - 1966 - 2.jpg   226.02KB   308 downloads
Attached File  Flushing Meadow Park - 1966 - 3.jpg   259.43KB   258 downloads
Attached File  Flushing Meadow Park - 1966 - 4.jpg   291.59KB   283 downloads
Attached File  Flushing Meadow Park - 1966 - 5.jpg   275.97KB   265 downloads

#2 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,794 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:11 AM

Wow, they even had the fountains on. That must have been an eerie visit so soon after the Fair. I think I didn't go back on site until 1971 or so, and by that time it was on the way down hill. Thanks for posting them.

#3 Joey Chernov

Joey Chernov

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:20 AM

Great shots, how much nicer the park looks with the smaller trees, it makes the sit seem larger and more open.

#4 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:40 AM

Cool pix, Gary. Thanks for sharing them!

#5 Al Schmelz

Al Schmelz

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:40 AM

Great shots. Thank you!

#6 Glen Schultzberg

Glen Schultzberg

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:33 AM

Thank you very much indeed for sharing these photos Gary! What a great little keepsake from a post-fair visit to the park.

#7 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,794 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 05:04 PM

Gary, I'm guessing that your pictures may be from 1967 as you surmised. I had just finished a small set of photos from 1966 and the park was still in pretty ragged shape as of June that year. My guess is that the place was still off limits to the public until the Fair Corp. turned it over to the city, or at least until they had completed the demolition work.

Here are some pictures from June 1966, sad as they may be.

Posted Image
The New York State Pavilion from the Avenue of the United Nations, with the former General Motors site now a barren plot on the right.

Posted Image

Pavilion of American Interiors

Posted Image

Better Living Center

Posted Image

Towards the United States Pavilion from the former Bell System site. It's interesting to see that the Protestant & Orthodox Pavilion was still standing for some reason at this late date.

Posted Image

Just some of the luminaires waiting to be sold off. Any of you lucky owners spot your designs in this batch?

#8 bagels

bagels

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:30 PM

Gary, I'm guessing that your pictures may be from 1967 as you surmised. I had just finished a small set of photos from 1966 and the park was still in pretty ragged shape as of June that year. My guess is that the place was still off limits to the public until the Fair Corp. turned it over to the city, or at least until they had completed the demolition work.

Posted Image
The New York State Pavilion from the Avenue of the United Nations, with the former General Motors site now a barren plot on the right.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Better Living Center

Posted Image

Towards the United States Pavilion from the former Bell System site. It's interesting to see that the Protestant & Orthodox Pavilion was still standing for some reason at this late date.

Posted Image

Just some of the luminaires waiting to be sold off. Any of you lucky owners spot your designs in this batch?

#9 bagels

bagels

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:34 PM

WOW THOSE ARE SOME COOL PICS,I REMEMBER BEING IN THE PARK SUMMER OF 68' W MY DAY CAMP AND THE WHITE GARBAGE CANS W/WF LOGOS AND A GIFT STAND SELLING WF TOYS WAS STILL BY THE LAKE!!I REMEMBER VERY CLEARLY BECAUSE I WANTED THE WF BINOCULARS AND HAD NO MONEY !

#10 Doug Seed

Doug Seed

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:35 PM

Gary, those are crazy!
Can a local PTUer go out there and duplicate those shots, please?

#11 Joey Chernov

Joey Chernov

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:37 AM

Amazing yet very sad pictures. I like the one where the escalator is on the ground flat after removal. That says alot.

#12 David B.

David B.

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:55 AM

Posted Image

Boy do I remember this shot...but from another angle.

I remember being glued to the side glass of my Dad's 1949 Dodge as we drove in to Ozone Park to visit my Grand Father and being able to see these Fair lights all stacked up against each other and hoping that they would reconsider and put the whole fair back together.

The highway would have been to the right in Bill's picture and you looked down slightly at the luminaires all stacked in rows :(

David B.

#13 JOHNNY AT THE FAIR

JOHNNY AT THE FAIR

Really Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:03 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Better Living Center

Posted Image

Posted Image

There seems to be a wood framed structure in the TOT. Bill, can you get in close and see what it is.

#14 Irv Gleaner

Irv Gleaner

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:34 AM

I actually prefer the new lamp posts.

I always thought the original luminaires were kind of gaudy and cheesy.

#15 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,794 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:10 AM

Johnny, that's actually the display panels on the mezzanine level, which were apparently still in place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users