Sign in to follow this  
JOHNNY AT THE FAIR

Trey And Csi Come To The Fair

The great Trey Callaway and his CSI crew did a shoot in FMCP last tuesday that will be aired in Oct. For any worlds fair buffs like all of us this is a dream come true.I was fortunate enough to be there and meet Trey, who treated me like i was one of the crew. We looked on the monitor togethter as one great shot of the NYSP was being filmed with a 100' boom that came over the pavillion and down to actor Gary Sinise. Then it was the night shoot around the Uniisphere. The parks Dept.even turned on the fountain around the Uni for this shoot. Once again let me thank Trey for letting me be part of that unforgetable day, and with his great writing, bringing millions of people back to the fair. So much to talk about but heres some pictures of that day.......Johnny PS, Trey even wore a Trylon and Perisphere shirt.

post-3769-125407093577_thumb.jpg

post-3769-125407100266_thumb.jpg

post-3769-125407104141_thumb.jpg

post-3769-125407138658_thumb.jpg

post-3769-125407146587_thumb.jpg

post-3769-125407151806_thumb.jpg

post-3769-125407160217_thumb.jpg

post-3769-125407163502_thumb.jpg

post-3769-125407169658_thumb.jpg

post-3769-125407175225_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the report and photos. It will be great to see this on the air. I only missed this by days, drat. I had just flown back to CA from NY when I got Trey's invite. Sigh.

Thanks for the report - great pix!

Trust me when I tell you the pleasure was all mine, Johnny. I was very happy to have you there as a qualified PTU Representative! :)

The footage we shot in FMCP came back looking incredible-- and I can't wait for all of you to see how the park winds up playing a prominent role in this season's multi-episode mystery arc. That story launches at 10/9c on Wednesday, October 7th-- with the Flushing Meadows scenes finally being unveiled in subsequent episodes November 18th and 25th on CBS.

Bottom line, as I told Gary that day-- shooting in FMCP was a tremendous "full circle" experience for me. To have cameras, crews, and our incredible cast assembled to help me tell a story on the same site where I once got engaged beneath the Unisphere-- well, let's just say I wound up awfully bruised from pinching myself! :D

i have no words to explain how exciting this is. Great work Trey, you always said you'd work FMCP into the show. AND, our Johnny on the Spot (I feel like updating wikipedia or something) well done!

Terrific photos Johnny - thanks!

And a big thanks to you too Trey for giving FMCP and the New York State Pavilion some much needed exposure. I have no doubt that your letter to Virginia Bartos earlier this month played a huge role in getting the NYSP designated as State Landmark. Hopefully, by following it up a few weeks later with a TV-shoot in the park, the "powers-that-be-in-NYC" will finally start to see that they have really have something there in the park, and they'll work a little more diligently to develop plans for its restoration and preservation!

Best Regards,

Kevin

Thank you so much for the information and the photos Johnny! I really wished I could have been there, and now in a way (through your reporting) I almost feel as though I were!

This episode HAS to be the most eagerly anticipated event that PTU has seen in a long time. True, the whole premise behind the show is that the area is a crime scene. That might not sound like "good press" for the park, but needless to say being featured in a pivotal role on one of the most ppopular TV franchises of the day can't be anything but good! And the timing is perfect too, what with the recent landmark status of the NYSP. Makes a perfect bookend to the old McCloud episode filmed at the NYSP way back in the early 70s! I cannot wait to see these episodes!

It must have been a bit of a strange experience for Trey. I mean, he was getting a chance to legally go into the NYSP, but he probably couldn't spend much time exploring and leisurely thinking about the fair--after all, he was there as part of a big operation and wanted to make sure that everything was done right and that they did his story justice. What a great lasting tribute to a beloved place/event though--a place with so much personal meaning. I've said it many times, but congratulations Trey...and thank you too!

Yes, Glen, a perfect bookend to the McCloud episode....great way to describe it!

I'm sure that Trey has some cool stuff up his sleeve in there for us. I wonder if it includes any "subterranean" features of the World's Fair?

Great shots, Johnny! Jeezz, I feel like I was almost there myself!

Leave it to you to stumble into a CSI shoot at the park!

Yes Doug, Trey does indeed have some neat tricks up his sleeve. I'll leave it to him to spill details as he deems appropiate. He may just want to have us all tune in to the episodes and be blown away!

Here's the article, just in case the link breaks....

NY Daily News

World's Fair towers play starring role in 'CSI: NY'

BY NICHOLAS HIRSHON

Tuesday, September 29th 2009, 4:00 AM

Tack on yet another plot twist at the New York State Pavilion.

The 1964 World's Fair relic - neglected for decades but recently named a state landmark - will make a cameo this fall on the CBS series "CSI: NY" after the show filmed there last Tuesday.

It marked the first time crews shot the pavilion's interior since Diana Ross dropped through the cable suspension roof and into the land of Oz on the pavilion floor for the 1978 film "The Wiz."

"It's exactly the kind of local icon we like to routinely feature on the show," said "CSI: NY" Executive Producer Pam Veasey. "The structure is truly one of those 'only in New York City' kind of places."

Greg Godfrey of the Flushing Meadows-Corona Park World's Fair Association heralded the filming as part of the crumbling site's long-awaited rejuvenation.

"It just adds to the current and past cultural legacy of the structure," Godfrey said. "It shows what a recognizable icon it is, what potential it has."

The episode with the pavilion, "Manhattanhenge," airs Nov. 25.

Crews also shot near 1964 World's Fair remnants like the Unisphere and a bronze sculpture called the Rocket Thrower. Those scenes will air in the preceding episode on Nov. 18.

At the three-tower pavilion, investigator Mac Taylor (Gary Sinise) discovers a key piece of evidence that may connect a serial killer's whereabouts to the park, ending a multi-episode storyline.

A normally padlocked gate on the eastern side of the edifice was opened for the shoot so a character could walk out of the rotunda, said Parks Department spokeswoman Trish Bertuccio.

The 1997 movie "Men in Black" featured the pavilion's observation deck as an alien spacecraft, but actors never entered the concrete-and-steel structure.

Before "The Wiz," the 1970s police drama "McCloud" aired an episode in which a marshal (Dennis Weaver) coordinates a swap with criminals - drugs for a kidnapped woman - while rushing between the pavilion's first and second towers and rappeling to the ground.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens/2009/09/29/2009-09-29_worlds_fair_towers_play_starring_role_in_csi_ny.html#ixzz0SWELvC9L

Thanks for all the great photos Johnny! Sounds like you had a great day! :D

And a HUGE thanks to Trey for helping our beloved Unisphere and NYS Pavilion get some time in the spotlight! :D

I can't wait for the episodes!