39 replies to this topic

#16 expoboy

expoboy

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:46 PM

I agree with Mary Ellen. It is no longer easy to see the latest posts.

#17 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:50 PM

The "View New Content" button is broken. No doubt about that, and I've let Marc know. I'll remind him again.

In the meantime, are you using the "Active Content" button?

http://www.worldsfai...earch&do=active

You can adjust the time period if you've been away for more than 24 hours - look at the bottom right of the results page.

That help you at all?

What other format issues are you having?

#18 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:58 PM

Looks like the "View New Content" issue is a known bug:

http://community.inv...nt-not-working/

which makes it even more annoying that the developers of this software haven't fixed it. That thread was started 3 months ago and it hasn't been fixed.

At least there's a work around.

What's next?

#19 Marc Williams

Marc Williams

Really Loves World's Fairs

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:20 AM

Things that have been done:

Turned off features people aren't using.

Reported to the IP.Board developers that I risk losing members if they continue to ignore this bug in "View New Content." (though, really?)

Done side-by-side comparisons of this version and the previous version of IP.Board and the layout is pretty much the same for reading topics.

---

And to MB, we are not here to curse the darkness; we are here to light a candle. What have you done to make the community a place you want to be?

#20 cinerama3

cinerama3

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:54 AM

Well said, Marc. I know I'm not going anywhere.
Things were livelier in the beginning because we didn't know anything, and everything was new information.
Now we know a lot more, and new information is becoming more scarce.
I think it's a completely natural situation for a board like this.
$0.02

#21 magikbilly

magikbilly

Radioactive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:18 AM

<<And to MB, we are not here to curse the darkness; we are here to light a candle. What have you done to make the community a place you want to be?>>

Hi Marc,

Good to hear from you as well. Greetings are free by the way :)

Well, at least you are aware it is dark in here.
To answer the question you asked. Hmm...I seem to recall something about reformatting/reorganizing the 1939/40 section basing it on the guidebook, Zones and so on, and providing a template for the organization of the rest of the site so it would make sense and people would know where to post information. Capturing The Rainbow, After the Gates Closed...all those forums and sub forums when the place had more life. As I recall there was not even a Theme Center forum. Who writes who for opinions about the Community Guidelines, or how to deal with these arguing members or that problem about a explosive thread, walk, post or topic? Who writes to alert who to a potential problem or thread? I'm sure you know what I am talking about.

Now, I'll ask you a question. Why then do I hear these complaints, about the site having "died", from so very many people off board? Several people I hear from, not minor members either, don't even check the site for weeks or months on end anymore because of a change in the atmosphere of the site, let alone whatever changes people are having with the tech side of things - and that is a shame. :(

Best wishes always,
Eric

#22 Doug Seed

Doug Seed

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:31 AM

Below is the URL I'm currently using as my home page.
I think it's the one Bill suggested, and it lets you change the day/week/month, etc. in the bottom right hand corner.
I assume it's giving the list of topic that I'm requesting! Never thought to test it to see if it isn't.

http://www.worldsfai...arch_filter_app[]=1

Same URL, just clickable:
=1"]PTU Topics Link

#23 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:50 AM

Some of the people who are not here may not be here as they were suspended or had posts deleted for attacking other members. If they can't play nice they can't stay in the sandbox. I think there has been a lot of latitude in dealing with some of these situations, but sometimes a line gets crossed and things have to be done.

MB, have you asked all of these vanished folks what their reasons are for going in a different direction? I don't set the posting categories myself so there is absolutely zero "pride of ownership" issue here, but it's hard to believe that someone would leave as they were being asked to post in the five 1939/40 sections there are and couldn't unless there was a "Distribution Zone" section, for example. Maybe that is indeed the case, but if they don't speak up Marc isn't going to be able to do anything about it. Also, just so I can understand, how many is "so very many people"?

The board software drives me crazy at times (the broken "View New Content", the capitalization of topic titles, etc.) but the price for admission ain't too bad so I put up with it. With those annoyances aside, can you give an example of the "change in atmosphere" you refer to?

To me, the fact that we have been studying some of these fairs for years longer than it took to build and operate them is probably a big reason that things have slowed down. Things will thus get quiet between new discoveries, and people do drift away when nothing is going on. I don't know how to combat that, but would love to see suggestions.

Bill

#24 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:20 AM

In case anyone wants to look at the board "way back when":

http://web.archive.o...derstanding.com

#25 Marc Williams

Marc Williams

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:26 AM

...The board software drives me crazy at times (the broken "View New Content", the capitalization of topic titles, etc...

Bill

The capitalization may be fixed. I turned off "stop shouting [all caps] in post titles" and that may change how titles appear in the future.

#26 Marc Williams

Marc Williams

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:10 PM

To paraphrase: Why do I hear complaints about the site having "died" from so many people off-board? Several people I hear from don't even check the site for weeks or months on-end anymore.

-----

That is a bit melodramatic. There is no doubt the community has changed and more people than you know have come and gone. That is the nature of any community.

If someone wanted to step up and lead a topic area and put in the time that requires I'd be all for it.

I'll continue later.

#27 Craig Bavaro

Craig Bavaro

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:15 PM

First, Thank You Bill for a look back at how the board looked all the way back in 2001! It brought back such fond memories of the first time I discovered a forum to share my obsession with the fair with other like minded enthusiasts.

Second, if anyone doesn't like the way this sandbox is managed then they are free to go build their own. Then they will find out how much time and effort goes into maintaining something like this all for our enjoyment.

Finally, just because people don't post doesn't mean they are not involved. In these uncertain economic times there are some higher priorities that don't allow some of us the luxury of participating at the level we wish we could.

To paraphrase what someone famous once said "critics build nothing".

#28 RAY DASHNER

RAY DASHNER

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:20 PM

There's some truth in the report that many have lost interest over the past eight years, because they feel every important topic has been discussed to the level of every minute detail. I often wondered why a thread could sustain itself with dozens of comments when the subject is about the color of the tablecloths at the Mastro Pizza joint.

For those of us that were actually at The Fair, the images that we retained are worthy of bringing back for the memories that can be passed on to others. However, for those that were there at the age of five, these memories are very limited and as expected, many will disappear to pursue other interests.

My recordings of The NYWF have been offered on eBay since April, 2001. The flood of interest at that time was very encouraging. These auctions were initially posted for a seven day period. Judging by the demand, I changed swiftly to a one day auction to accomodate more bidders. Over the years, these recordings have been exposed nearly every day to collectors on eBay. Over time, the sales declined from 15 a week to 5 per month. This trend will continue as the general interest in The Fair subsides and people find other activities to pursue. Understandably there is not an insatiable demand for pet rocks, hula hoops or NYWF audio tapes.

i personally visit this site several times each day and will continue to post whenever I think I have something to say that people might read, like right now!

Ray Dashner

#29 Bradd Schiffman

Bradd Schiffman

Hopeless Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:00 PM

I've been feeling a bit guilty for not checking in more often, glad to hear it's not just me. I think we are all a little burned out from the last 9 years of intense posting, kind of like the Fair builders must have felt at the end of October 1965...

#30 Larry L

Larry L

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:07 PM

"...why a thread could sustain itself with dozens of comments when the subject is about the color of the tablecloths at the Mastro Pizza joint"

What's the Mastro Pizza joint, and what color is the tablecloth over there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users