Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Plumber

Is It Just Me?

40 posts in this topic

To paraphrase: Why do I hear complaints about the site having "died" from so many people off-board? Several people I hear from don't even check the site for weeks or months on-end anymore.

-----

That is a bit melodramatic. There is no doubt the community has changed and more people than you know have come and gone. That is the nature of any community.

If someone wanted to step up and lead a topic area and put in the time that requires I'd be all for it.

I'll continue later.

First, Thank You Bill for a look back at how the board looked all the way back in 2001! It brought back such fond memories of the first time I discovered a forum to share my obsession with the fair with other like minded enthusiasts.

Second, if anyone doesn't like the way this sandbox is managed then they are free to go build their own. Then they will find out how much time and effort goes into maintaining something like this all for our enjoyment.

Finally, just because people don't post doesn't mean they are not involved. In these uncertain economic times there are some higher priorities that don't allow some of us the luxury of participating at the level we wish we could.

To paraphrase what someone famous once said "critics build nothing".

There's some truth in the report that many have lost interest over the past eight years, because they feel every important topic has been discussed to the level of every minute detail. I often wondered why a thread could sustain itself with dozens of comments when the subject is about the color of the tablecloths at the Mastro Pizza joint.

For those of us that were actually at The Fair, the images that we retained are worthy of bringing back for the memories that can be passed on to others. However, for those that were there at the age of five, these memories are very limited and as expected, many will disappear to pursue other interests.

My recordings of The NYWF have been offered on eBay since April, 2001. The flood of interest at that time was very encouraging. These auctions were initially posted for a seven day period. Judging by the demand, I changed swiftly to a one day auction to accomodate more bidders. Over the years, these recordings have been exposed nearly every day to collectors on eBay. Over time, the sales declined from 15 a week to 5 per month. This trend will continue as the general interest in The Fair subsides and people find other activities to pursue. Understandably there is not an insatiable demand for pet rocks, hula hoops or NYWF audio tapes.

i personally visit this site several times each day and will continue to post whenever I think I have something to say that people might read, like right now!

Ray Dashner

I've been feeling a bit guilty for not checking in more often, glad to hear it's not just me. I think we are all a little burned out from the last 9 years of intense posting, kind of like the Fair builders must have felt at the end of October 1965...

"...why a thread could sustain itself with dozens of comments when the subject is about the color of the tablecloths at the Mastro Pizza joint"

What's the Mastro Pizza joint, and what color is the tablecloth over there?

A good feature that some other forums have is View Your Posts, so that way you can see at a glance if anyone added anything new to a thread you were on or if anyone responded to you.

Larry, just click on your screen name. that'll take you to your member section. In the left column you'll see "Find Topics" and "Find Posts". Those will bring up all of the topics you have started and, I assume, every post that you've made. Play with it... you must be able to sort it and sift down to what you're looking for.

Hey, I just noticed that I'm in the 3K club! Over 3,000 posts!

Congratulations Doug! :)

Congrats to you too Mike!

You and Doug have quite a horse race going on. :)

Larry, just click on your screen name. that'll take you to your member section. In the left column you'll see "Find Topics" and "Find Posts". Those will bring up all of the topics you have started and, I assume, every post that you've made. Play with it... you must be able to sort it and sift down to what you're looking for.

Yeah, Doug, I figured that out for myself already, but it's kind of awkward and it doesn't tell you if anyone responded to the thread, or, as is most often the case, people were just so awestruck by my last brilliant words of transcendental wisdom that they felt it best to leave it as it is and not try to add any further commentary, and...and what am I babbling on about anyway?

LL

Hey, I just noticed that I'm in the 3K club! Over 3,000 posts!

Randy got 12,732. I've actually got more than the 420 shown because the posts I made on the old board never carried over. I think I might have 12,733 total. :)

LL

"...why a thread could sustain itself with dozens of comments when the subject is about the color of the tablecloths at the Mastro Pizza joint"

What's the Mastro Pizza joint, and what color is the tablecloth over there?

Larry, there are at least 140 posts on this board that refers to Mastro Pizza. Obviously it was the most famous pizza joint on the fairgrounds. It's history is legendary and if you want to read all about it, just type "MASTRO" in the search window.

I've actually got more than the 420 shown because the posts I made on the old board never carried over. I think I might have 12,733 total. :)

LL

There are lots of people with 'split counts' who had registered under different names over the years when they couldn't remember a password, or various things like that. There's a good chance your old posts are actually here, just under a different registry name.

In working my way back restoring links (I'm all the way back to April 2006 now) I even saw some postings where the username is gone completely (like it was from a ghost), but the post itself is still there.

Larry, there are at least 140 posts on this board that refers to Mastro Pizza. Obviously it was the most famous pizza joint on the fairgrounds. It's history is legendary and if you want to read all about it, just type "MASTRO" in the search window.

Oh, duh. Fairgrounds? What fairgrounds?

There are lots of people with 'split counts' who had registered under different names over the years when they couldn't remember a password, or various things like that. There's a good chance your old posts are actually here, just under a different registry name.

In working my way back restoring links (I'm all the way back to April 2006 now) I even saw some postings where the username is gone completely (like it was from a ghost), but the post itself is still there.

Cool!

I used a different sign on name back then, I think. Maybe it was my full name as opposed to just my initials.