Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is It Just Me?

40 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Since the changing of this board format I seem to feel disconnected from everyone. Is it just my inability to accept change easily, or are the numbers of posts down? I really liked the old format much better than this one, I now feel that it is a less intimate place to visit and check in on old friends each day. Is it just me, or do others feel the same way? Plumber

Posted · Report post

I think the number of posts is down due to some members moving on, or getting buried in trying to survive the economy and having less time for the more fun things in life. I never thought of it being due to the change in software. What elements do you feel are that different that they would be likely to drive people away? I'm not involved in the software selection so I'm not asking that defensively at all, just curious.

The fact that "View New Content" doesn't ever work the same way twice in a row for me would be a factor I personally would list. VERY often it shows nothing new, but if I check all posts for the day there's a lot there. People aren't going to respond to posts they're not seeing.

Posted · Report post

The fact that "View New Content" doesn't ever work the same way twice in a row for me would be a factor I personally would list. VERY often it shows nothing new, but if I check all posts for the day there's a lot there. People aren't going to respond to posts they're not seeing.

Really! Now I wonder how much I've been missing - have to check tonigh when I have time. If there really is a lot that's missing in "view new contents", that could explain it for sure, because I have been relying on it.

Posted · Report post

Iv'e noticed the View New Content issue too.

Posted · Report post

Since the changing of this board format I seem to feel disconnected from everyone. Is it just my inability to accept change easily, or are the numbers of posts down? I really liked the old format much better than this one, I now feel that it is a less intimate place to visit and check in on old friends each day. Is it just me, or do others feel the same way? Plumber

It may be because the board is now on a 24 hour, "read or lose," cycle.

I cannot always devote sufficient time to an interesting topic at the moment I find one. Since the new BB, if I do not return within 24 hrs of the last post, the topic is gone forever. Even if I remember the subject or identifying words, a search can yield hundreds of returns. I can't poke through all of them. The topic in question will remain buried among them.

When returning from weeks of vacation, that inability to catch up removes a sense of continuity and some may feel disconnected from the flow of conversation.

I don't think the substance of PTU is transferable to the ephemeral culture of Twitter or a 24 hour cycle. PTU posts are considered, reflective, and use complete sentences. They often involve digging through photos and scanning, which aren't done on the run from PDAs. While PTU did also evolve into a social network, it did so organically and incidentally. It is not at the same level as the social networks designed expressly for and populated by teenagers and their abbreviated and transient concerns.

Nor is it likely that someone from this world of Twitter and social networking will contribute the type of information I think people expect from PTU. "OMG LOL here's a PDF of the secret entrance to the Underground Home from my BFF," is not a post you are likely to see from the iGeneration despite the fact that it is optimized for a 3.5" PDA screen and conforms to Tweet constraints.

I've been reading PTU for only a few years. Board veterans may find their browsing patterns not enhanced by recent features.

On the other hand maybe it is a coincidence. Does anyone remember what passed for headline news in these notorious "slow-news" dog days of late summer before 9/11? I do! I distinctly remember saying, "Boy, something big is gonna have to come along and sweep this stuff away. It's like we're consuming ourselves."

Shark attacks and reparations for slavery were the two big news items in the weeks before that Monday* morning, when all the movers and shakers were on vacation and editors were desperate to fill the "news hole."

Maybe everyone's in the Hamptons.

*Tuesday. Sorry.

Posted · Report post

Does anyone remember what passed for headline news in these notorious "slow-news" dog days of late summer before 9/11? I do! I distinctly remember saying, "Boy, something big is gonna have to come along and sweep this stuff away. It's like we're consuming ourselves."

Shark attacks and reparations for slavery were the two big news items in the weeks before that Monday morning, when all the movers and shakers were on vacation and editors were desperate to fill the "news hole."

And dont forget the Gary Condit/Chandra Levy scandal, and the Danny Almonte Little League World Series eligibility issue both were big stories just prior to 9/11 (which, not to nitpick, was actually a Tuesday morning)...

I think your points are well taken about not being able to find new posts very easily, and then having them disappear into the various subfolders before you have a chance to comment on them. However, I was playing around with the Active Content view earlier today, and think I have found a way to find recent posts from the past day, week, 2 weeks, month, etc. (Note: I say "think I have found..." as I dont have any way to verify that all the posts made during these time frames are actually in the search results, but it seems like they are).

All you need to do is scroll down to the bottom of the main Worlds Fair Community page and you will see a menu title that says Todays active content click on it, and you should see all the active topics from the past 24 hours:

post-387-125253823667_thumb.jpg

Then, if you look in the bottom right-hand corner of the Todays active content page, you will see a little drop-down menu and a Go button that will allow you to change the date range for active topics:

post-387-125253824625_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps…

Kevin

Posted · Report post

WOW! Thanks for both corrections! That wasn't nitpicking at all!

I wonder why I didn't see that menu! Probably the same reason I forgot to fact check the day of 9/11. (Don't tell anyone but I am gonna go back and correct it)

Posted · Report post

My joy was premature.

Yes, you can modify the period of searching for active topics from 24 hours, to one week, two weeks, a month, etc, but when you get the results, you cannot view more than the first page. I tried several methods of doing so, clicking on the arrow, clicking on the page number itself, clicking on "last page", and entering the page number. No joy. The result was a formatted "active topic" page with no topics returned.

When I tried selecting different periods of time, the most ancient topic returned on the first page happened to be one week ago. I don't know if this was coincidence or not. In any event, all I get is one page.

Another unheralded change is that the "quick reply" has disappeared.

Posted · Report post

That's odd... the extended date ranges were working perfectly for me the other day, but now I am getting the same results as well - only active topics from the past 24 hours are showing up...

Posted · Report post

Just now noticed this phrase - "Currently hiding posts below points. Change threshold?" - in the blue bar at the bottom of each topic.

Have no idea what it does.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, 'points' refer to the numbers generated by the red and green buttons on the lower right of each post. If you click 'change threshold' you can set the point value of posts that will display for you. The idea being, in 'How To...' type BBs for example, the How To Fix Leaky Faucet post that is the most useful or clearly described will get the most green, positive clicks and therefore the most points. And you shouldn't waste your time viewing anything less.

This assumes that...

There are too many competing posts about a given topic.

The most popular is the most useful. Which is not the case.

The people voting are trustworthy. Which is also not the case.

It's part of the whole David Letterman Top Ten, rating women, Siskel and Ebert Thumbs Up or Down, "Four Stars", rating everything we see, phenomenon displayed on every magazine at the checkout. I think it is most useful in filling our psychological need to pass judgment and exert power. Nietzsche would curse the internet: "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."

In any event, I don't think the point system travels well onto PTU.

Posted · Report post

When I click to view page 2 of Active Content in One Week, I trigger one of these commands:

<li><a href="http://www.worldsfaircommunity.org/index.php?app=core&amp;module=search&amp;do=active&amp;search_filter_app[]=1&amp;st=25" title="2">2</a></li>

<li class='next'><a href="http://www.worldsfaircommunity.org/index.php?app=core&amp;module=search&amp;do=active&amp;search_filter_app[]=1&amp;st=25" title="Next page" rel='next'>&rarr;</a></li>

Either brings up Page 1 of 1 of Active Content in 24 hours, and shows it empty.

This code seems to be fouled up and pointing to the wrong page, or else the page was given the wrong URL.

Can you just change the 25 topics per page limit when the "24 hours" option is used to 100 topics or so and override the time period constraint?

Posted · Report post

Doesn't work for me either.

Posted · Report post

"...Is it just me,..."

Nope, not at all.

The place seems to have lost its pulse and I am not alone in that opinion at all. :( I have just returned from a multi-month break for these very reasons, and others to do with the way the room was going re walks and shows and whatnot, and I find I was able to catch up on what I missed in under 5 minutes. :huh: How do we jumpstart this place again? Where did the discussions go? :unsure:

MB

Posted · Report post

I think the format has done us in. I find it difficult myself.

Posted · Report post

I agree with Mary Ellen. It is no longer easy to see the latest posts.

Posted · Report post

The "View New Content" button is broken. No doubt about that, and I've let Marc know. I'll remind him again.

In the meantime, are you using the "Active Content" button?

http://www.worldsfaircommunity.org/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=active

You can adjust the time period if you've been away for more than 24 hours - look at the bottom right of the results page.

That help you at all?

What other format issues are you having?

Posted · Report post

Looks like the "View New Content" issue is a known bug:

http://community.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-16592-view-new-content-not-working/

which makes it even more annoying that the developers of this software haven't fixed it. That thread was started 3 months ago and it hasn't been fixed.

At least there's a work around.

What's next?

Posted · Report post

Things that have been done:

Turned off features people aren't using.

Reported to the IP.Board developers that I risk losing members if they continue to ignore this bug in "View New Content." (though, really?)

Done side-by-side comparisons of this version and the previous version of IP.Board and the layout is pretty much the same for reading topics.

---

And to MB, we are not here to curse the darkness; we are here to light a candle. What have you done to make the community a place you want to be?

Posted · Report post

Well said, Marc. I know I'm not going anywhere.

Things were livelier in the beginning because we didn't know anything, and everything was new information.

Now we know a lot more, and new information is becoming more scarce.

I think it's a completely natural situation for a board like this.

$0.02

Posted · Report post

<<And to MB, we are not here to curse the darkness; we are here to light a candle. What have you done to make the community a place you want to be?>>

Hi Marc,

Good to hear from you as well. Greetings are free by the way :)

Well, at least you are aware it is dark in here.

To answer the question you asked. Hmm...I seem to recall something about reformatting/reorganizing the 1939/40 section basing it on the guidebook, Zones and so on, and providing a template for the organization of the rest of the site so it would make sense and people would know where to post information. Capturing The Rainbow, After the Gates Closed...all those forums and sub forums when the place had more life. As I recall there was not even a Theme Center forum. Who writes who for opinions about the Community Guidelines, or how to deal with these arguing members or that problem about a explosive thread, walk, post or topic? Who writes to alert who to a potential problem or thread? I'm sure you know what I am talking about.

Now, I'll ask you a question. Why then do I hear these complaints, about the site having "died", from so very many people off board? Several people I hear from, not minor members either, don't even check the site for weeks or months on end anymore because of a change in the atmosphere of the site, let alone whatever changes people are having with the tech side of things - and that is a shame. :(

Best wishes always,

Eric

Posted · Report post

Below is the URL I'm currently using as my home page.

I think it's the one Bill suggested, and it lets you change the day/week/month, etc. in the bottom right hand corner.

I assume it's giving the list of topic that I'm requesting! Never thought to test it to see if it isn't.

http://www.worldsfaircommunity.org/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=active&search_filter_app[]=1

Same URL, just clickable:

=1"]PTU Topics Link

Posted · Report post

Some of the people who are not here may not be here as they were suspended or had posts deleted for attacking other members. If they can't play nice they can't stay in the sandbox. I think there has been a lot of latitude in dealing with some of these situations, but sometimes a line gets crossed and things have to be done.

MB, have you asked all of these vanished folks what their reasons are for going in a different direction? I don't set the posting categories myself so there is absolutely zero "pride of ownership" issue here, but it's hard to believe that someone would leave as they were being asked to post in the five 1939/40 sections there are and couldn't unless there was a "Distribution Zone" section, for example. Maybe that is indeed the case, but if they don't speak up Marc isn't going to be able to do anything about it. Also, just so I can understand, how many is "so very many people"?

The board software drives me crazy at times (the broken "View New Content", the capitalization of topic titles, etc.) but the price for admission ain't too bad so I put up with it. With those annoyances aside, can you give an example of the "change in atmosphere" you refer to?

To me, the fact that we have been studying some of these fairs for years longer than it took to build and operate them is probably a big reason that things have slowed down. Things will thus get quiet between new discoveries, and people do drift away when nothing is going on. I don't know how to combat that, but would love to see suggestions.

Bill

Posted · Report post

...The board software drives me crazy at times (the broken "View New Content", the capitalization of topic titles, etc...

Bill

The capitalization may be fixed. I turned off "stop shouting [all caps] in post titles" and that may change how titles appear in the future.