Sign in to follow this  
Delia64

Food At The 1964 World'S Fair

Could anyone tell me if they ate breakfast at the World's Fair and if so, where? Also, I've read that many free cuisine samples were given out, if anyone has specifics about what they ate (besides Bel-Gem waffles), I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Delia64

I can't recall any free food, and if there was any, my brothers and I would probably have cleaned them out. I don't see any sample booths in any of my pictures, just lots of places selling food.

I don't recall free samples, and I didn't eat breakfast there. Don't recall if any places had a specific breakfast menu either.

I saw in the guide book that the Minnesota pavilion served a continental breakfast until 10:00am. Unfortunatly I was late for breakfast there by a couple of years. :P

The closest anything came to a breakfast item was ORANGE JULIUS!

And they went under!

I think most people grabbed something at home or on the way to the Fair, so time was spent trying to see the pavilions before the lines built up - and to avoid the Fair prices.

The best place was the all you can eat buffet on top floor of the Better Living Pavilion, where two could eat for the price of one or one could eat twice as much; there was a picture of it posted here by Randy but alas is now a broken link:

I have four pictures of the buffet- they're here on PTU somewhere. Actually, two of the buffet and two of the bar.

That's the one where we were debating whether the butter dishes were butter dishes or ashtrays.

Mike Kraus will tell you we were debating whether the ashtrays were ashtrays or butter dishes.

Here is that topic:

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=1076

This Pavilion also had dixie cup samples from a promo on the benefits of the modern high speed blender.

The only free food samples I remember were virtually insignificant:

• Free soft drinks in the Better Living Center (I seem to remember it being Fresca)
  • Free samples of a frozen dessert made in a demo of a blender in the Better Living Center (the woman who demonstrated it was from Australia and quite a character...I remember her saying something about how Australians were still grateful for American assistance during WWII...)

I found it! Posted by Randy long ago this venue of haute cuisine definetly had ash trays, it was the creme de la creme of gastronomic delights for both breakfast and lunch:

post-3752-125207955961.jpg

post-3752-125207955961_thumb.jpg

I found it! Posted by Randy long ago this venue of haute cuisine definetly had ash trays, it was the creme de la creme of gastronomic delights for both breakfast and lunch:

post-3752-125207955961.jpg

People really did look different than they do today.

It's not just the clothes or hairstyles, it's the faces themselves. It's hard to find anyone with strikingly good looks.

People really did look different than they do today.

It's not just the clothes or hairstyles, it's the faces themselves. It's hard to find anyone with strikingly good looks.

I don't know Irv, the young lady in the blue dress that is getting ready to "flash" the crowd looks pretty good to me. Aside from that it is hard to look attractive when cramming chow in your pie hole. Also, was it a fashion thing to be wearing sunglasses inside back then? There are two people in this picture doing wearing them.

One other question......one that I asked about seven years ago....Does anyone remember having French Fried Ice Cream at the fair? Maybe some of the newer members can recall that being offered.