• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Sapi Lealaitafea

Sapi Lealaitafea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

OMG this is so amazing how lucky that 1 out of the 2 pictures u posted is my dad. My father is the man dancing alone with 2 fireknives, the one you labeled as published by United Airlines. I can't THANK YOU enough we are so happy to have found even if its just this one photo we are so grateful to you, Faafetai faafetai tele lava!!! :D (Thank you very much in the Samoan language)
  • Otila Massaro likes this

#17 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

Reason Number 1,000,0001 I love this site! :)

#18 Mike Kraus

Mike Kraus

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

Indeed. That'll bring a smile to your face.

#19 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,397 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

Faafetai faafetai tele lava!!! :D (Thank you very much in the Samoan language)

Fa'afetai fo'i ! (you're welcome) :D
  • Sapi Lealaitafea likes this

#20 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,397 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

Bill, you have the United set don't you? Maybe you can get a nice digital scan & restoration of this slide to send to Sapi. My digital copy is lower resolution and has that strong reddish tint.

#21 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

Randy, I have two sets of slides from United but I don't see that one. Do you happen to know the set number or slide number?

#22 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,397 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

In my notes, it's a United set that you scanned for Bradd Schiffman, or at least that you got from Bradd. That may have been in 2004. The file name for this one is UALHawaii13, but I have no way of knowing whether 13 is printed on the slide mount.

#23 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

I don't see a copy on my hard drive. I may have it offline and will look.

Hey, Bradd - you have it full size?

#24 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,397 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:44 PM

film footage of one of the Fire dancers at 2:48

In spite of the 1965 title on this footage, the view of the Chrysler Pavilion shows it to be painted in the 1964 paint scheme.
  • Sapi Lealaitafea and Otila Massaro like this

#25 Otila Massaro

Otila Massaro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

My mother, Otila Folole Kiliona, is Samoan and came with the group from Hawaii to dance. She said that she actually performed Tahitian more than anything & I can't say for sure if that is her in the video dancing by herself. I posted the video to her FB page. I'll let you know! I have been searching for the past few years to find anything with my Mother's photo. This is a great start! Thank You!

#26 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,397 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:19 PM

Welcome Otila! Even if it's not your mom in the video, it would be great if you can share her story here.... how she got the job (did she have to audition?)... where did she live during the Fair's two-year run? I'm sure people assume she wore regular clothes while riding the train to the Fairgrounds everyday, and then changed to a Polynesian costume in the pavilion's dressing room--- is that right? Did she meet anybody famous at the Fair? Did her show ever go wrong? What happened? ALL STORIES are welcome!

#27 Sapi Lealaitafea

Sapi Lealaitafea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

It has been a while since I last wrote, my father recently visited me from American Samoa and asked me to look up this site again to look at the pictures again and I just want to say RANDY TREADWAY you are so AWESOME!!!! That footage above with the fireknife dancer is none other than my Father (High Chief Fagasoaia Foa Lealaitafea) We are beyond excited and grateful to you and the person who uploaded it on YouTube. Thank you again!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users