Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

1939-1940 San Francisco World's Fair On Treasure Island

8 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

After 10 years of looking for information on the 1,000 accordion band that performed at the San Francisco World's Fair in either 1939 or 1940. I was just told about this world's fair forum, so I hope that there may be someone out there that was there or knows something about it.

I was about 10 years old when I was in that band and I remember my mother had a photograph of the band. When she died I got all of her photos but the band one was not there. I would really like to see that photograph again to show my family and prove that It wasn't all a dream.

Thank you, Ernie O.

Posted · Report post

Welcome Ernie! We only recently expanded to include San Francisco's Golden Gate International Exposition. If you post something in that section I am sure someone will respond.

Posted · Report post

To Bill Cotter,

Beautiful pictures you posted of the fair. Seeing the General Sherman Tree display brought back a memory of having seen that tree section, so I wasn't dreaming about the 1,000 accordion band after all. That just might be me in the photo.

The Moulin Photography Studios in San Francisco were the official photograpers for the fair. I have conversed with them about the 1,000 accordion band picture that I am seeking. They said they probably have it but they need a specific date and location of the performance in order to find it in their archives. Hence, the reason I am searhing for information.

I noticed on one of the replies to the forum that there was an airial veiw of Treasure Island. I wonder if an outdoor stadium big enough to hold 1,000 accordions with people attached would be visable in that photograph.

Thank you, Ernie Ogren

Posted · Report post

Thanks, Ernie. I'm glad that you enjoyed the photos. Good luck on your hunt. Amazing that the official photographer is still around after all these years. I bet they have some great images indeed, but it sounds like they need a cataloger.

Posted · Report post

According to the Official Map, I see two laces where they could play. There was the Athletic Stadium and the California Coliseum. As for ærial's, I only can see them in low-rez photos of mine.

Posted · Report post

According to the Official Map, I see two laces where they could play. There was the Athletic Stadium and the California Coliseum. As for ærial's, I only can see them in low-rez photos of mine.

Posted · Report post

After 10 years of looking for information on the 1,000 accordion band that performed at the San Francisco World's Fair in either 1939 or 1940. I was just told about this world's fair forum, so I hope that there may be someone out there that was there or knows something about it.

I was about 10 years old when I was in that band and I remember my mother had a photograph of the band. When she died I got all of her photos but the band one was not there. I would really like to see that photograph again to show my family and prove that It wasn't all a dream.

Thank you, Ernie O.

Was it directed by Guido Deiro?

http://www.guidodeiro.com/1500pieceaccordionband.html