• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ernie O

Ernie O

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:31 PM

After 10 years of looking for information on the 1,000 accordion band that performed at the San Francisco World's Fair in either 1939 or 1940. I was just told about this world's fair forum, so I hope that there may be someone out there that was there or knows something about it.

I was about 10 years old when I was in that band and I remember my mother had a photograph of the band. When she died I got all of her photos but the band one was not there. I would really like to see that photograph again to show my family and prove that It wasn't all a dream.

Thank you, Ernie O.

#2 Joey Chernov

Joey Chernov

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:45 AM

At first glance I don't see anything; why don't you try looking in the main GGIE section? Heres the link: http://www.worldsfai...p?showforum=118
Welcome to PTU! :)

#3 Marc Williams

Marc Williams

Really Loves World's Fairs

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:55 PM

Welcome Ernie! We only recently expanded to include San Francisco's Golden Gate International Exposition. If you post something in that section I am sure someone will respond.

#4 Ernie O

Ernie O

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:03 PM

To Bill Cotter,

Beautiful pictures you posted of the fair. Seeing the General Sherman Tree display brought back a memory of having seen that tree section, so I wasn't dreaming about the 1,000 accordion band after all. That just might be me in the photo.

The Moulin Photography Studios in San Francisco were the official photograpers for the fair. I have conversed with them about the 1,000 accordion band picture that I am seeking. They said they probably have it but they need a specific date and location of the performance in order to find it in their archives. Hence, the reason I am searhing for information.

I noticed on one of the replies to the forum that there was an airial veiw of Treasure Island. I wonder if an outdoor stadium big enough to hold 1,000 accordions with people attached would be visable in that photograph.

Thank you, Ernie Ogren

#5 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,591 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:36 PM

Thanks, Ernie. I'm glad that you enjoyed the photos. Good luck on your hunt. Amazing that the official photographer is still around after all these years. I bet they have some great images indeed, but it sounds like they need a cataloger.

#6 Joey Chernov

Joey Chernov

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:42 AM

According to the Official Map, I see two laces where they could play. There was the Athletic Stadium and the California Coliseum. As for śrial's, I only can see them in low-rez photos of mine.

#7 Ernie O

Ernie O

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:39 PM

According to the Official Map, I see two laces where they could play. There was the Athletic Stadium and the California Coliseum. As for śrial's, I only can see them in low-rez photos of mine.

#8 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,286 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:09 PM

After 10 years of looking for information on the 1,000 accordion band that performed at the San Francisco World's Fair in either 1939 or 1940. I was just told about this world's fair forum, so I hope that there may be someone out there that was there or knows something about it.

I was about 10 years old when I was in that band and I remember my mother had a photograph of the band. When she died I got all of her photos but the band one was not there. I would really like to see that photograph again to show my family and prove that It wasn't all a dream.

Thank you, Ernie O.

Was it directed by Guido Deiro?

http://www.guidodeir...ordionband.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users