National Building Museum World's Fair Exhibit

31 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

That's October of next year. I believe that is the show Eric has been working on.

Posted · Report post

opps Sorry about that I thought we were in 2010

Posted · Report post

Bill

Is there a delay sometimes when you post a new topic? That is why I posted this twice thinking that the first did not post. Who is Eric?

Thanks

Ed

Posted · Report post

Posts that go into the Commercial Events category require approval for a new topic so we don't get non-WF stuff driving people away. That will lead to a delay until a moderator can approve the first entry. I'll go delete the duplicate topic.

Eric posts kere as magikbilly. I'm sure he pass this way again soon!

Posted · Report post

Hi Ed,

Yes, the National Building Museum show has been delayed. No further info at this time :(

I was honored to be selected to help choose and then color correct/restore 1939-40 Kodachrome slides and b/w prints from my own collection to illustrate the 39-40 NY section of the social essay/college text, published by Yale University Press, which will accompany the exhibit in Washington. Among the images I supplied were a stunning image of the Theme Center, a great photo of the Democracity, Petroleum in color, Wonderbread (Cont. Baking) in color and several others. There will be no additional catalog. I may also lend a glass section of a pavilion wall. Others in here may be contributing as well - dunno.

Best wishes,

Eric

Posted · Report post

Hi All,

Sorry I have been away so long. I wanted to post and say that the show at the National Building Museum is indeed on this year. The book will be published by Yale in September. All of the restored illustrations I selected and submitted (Theme Center in daytime in b/w, Theme Center at night in color, Democracity showing both balconies, the Aviation Building at night in b/w, Wonderbread in daytime in color, Petroleum at night in color, the Pan American Union in daytime in b/w, the Maritime Building in daytime in color) will be reproduced and I am working out the loan of 12 Pittsburgh/Owens-Corning 12"x12" glass blocks recovered from the demolition site in 1941 which will be reassembled and lit in that blue-green (I know at least one PTU'er who has another), if all goes as planned. The show will have it's opening in October. I will be there. If that might be the 27th I can't say. The 1938 candid photo below shows the early 1939 NYWF logo in a flower bed or something like that which was removed at some point prior to opening. I hope you like the photograph. I tried to find something I did not post. Don't recall posting this one.

Best wishes to all,

Eric

post-434-126891423962_thumb.jpg

Posted · Report post

With the statue of liberty logo in flowers, does it mean this photo is about 1937?

Posted · Report post

Dear Randy,

Perhaps I am getting rusty. I have this in my head as early 1938. I could find the date if my life were not exploding like frogs in a dynamite pond... :blink:

Best wishes,

Eric

Posted · Report post

Hi All,

Show opens October 2, 2010 :)

Exhibition update:

Essay Book:

More to come,

Eric

Posted · Report post

Hi All,

That is apparently not the cover of the book but a mock-up.

Best,

Eric

Posted · Report post

For those who may not know, the National Building Museum (housed in the Pension Building, a magnificent structure that was built to handle pension claims of Civil War Veterans) is one of the "hidden" treasures of Washington, DC. (Since it occupies an entire city block, it's not exactly hidden, but it is off the usual tourist track.) It is NOT part of the Smithsonian Institution. While housing several permanent exhibits (including a comprehensive history of the creation and evolution of Washington, DC and a permanent exhibit of art that focuses on tools as art) it also displays a marvelous variety of temporary exhibits. Some past exhibits that come to mind are a wonderful retrospective of Disney theme parks (some of the items now on display at the Disney Hollywood Studio theme park in Orlando were part of this exhibit, including the famous "dancing man" an early attempt at audio-animatronics for which Buddy Ebsen provided a filmed movement reference film), and the history of how Americans started to drive around the country for vacations and the places in which they stayd...including a reconstruction of the first Holiday Inn room (if you've ever complained about your room at a Holiday Inn, get a load of what they looked like originally...including steel furniture bolted to the floor.)

The Museum also houses one of the best museum gift shops in the city. As are many of you, I am eagerly awaiting the opening of the World's Fair Exhibit.

Posted · Report post

For those who may not know...

George,

I want to thank you for that post.

That is exactly the kind of information I like to hear from this board. Like-minded people have similar predilections beyond the focus of WFs.

I travel to DC yearly with a few hours on my hands and will store your info in my head... or iPod. Even if I were not already traveling there, that kind of input about any location may inspire a dedicated trip and a pleasurable learning experience.

Posted · Report post

Hi there,

they also have a superb collection of bricks! Really a super place :)

National Building Museum upcoming exhibitions link.

Here is a link to a PDF of the exhibit prospectus:

Exhibit prospectus shown on the NBM page on line - CHECK IT OUT!!!!!

Best,

Eric

Posted · Report post

Hi All,

a peek at one part of a little something heading to Washington....

Best,

Eric

post-434-127561513399_thumb.jpg

Posted · Report post

Hi All,

Some new links for the upcoming World's Fair architecture exhibit in Washington (opening October 2):

The UK Yale site for Designing Tomorrow (still showing the old cover design):

http://www.yalebooks.co.uk/yale/display.asp?K=9780300149579&sf1=editor&st1=Robert%20W%20Rydell&m=1&dc=1

A press release from the National Building Museum about the exhibit in D.C.:

http://www.nbm.org/about-us/publications-news/press-releases/designing-tomorrow-press-release.html

Here is a preview of one of my more challenging restorations from the the book:

post-434-020931100 1281717184_thumb.jpg

The Aviation Building at night NYWF 1940 Restored Digital File ©EKL 2008

Best wishes - hope to meet you in Washington!

Eric

Posted · Report post

Hi All,

Is anyone planning to visit this show? I will be there for the opening night party, the show opens to the public a few days later on October 2. I intend to try and go a few times. I hope to meet some of you there :)

Best,

Eric

Posted · Report post

I hope to get back there sometime during the run, Eric. I supplied them with some photos and would like to see how they turned out - as well as see yours and the rest of the exhibition. Let us know how the opening goes!

Posted · Report post

As I work down the block from the museum I plan to attend.

Kevin

Posted · Report post

Hi All,

I am just getting ready to leave for Washington and see this show open on Thursday. I will let you all know how it looks when I return. I will take some photographs as well :)

Best,

Eric

Posted · Report post

Have fun!!

Posted · Report post

Safe travels, Eric-- enjoy!

Posted · Report post

I'm planning to be there tomorrow morning...and looking forward to it very much.

Posted · Report post

Too bad I won't be able to go, but the book sounds interesting. How much is in it, and is it possible to buy it online? Or is it a special printing for the exhibition only? It sounds very interesting and i wouldn't mind a copy myself if the price is right.