Picture of inside Dublin Crystal Palace

Attached Files

#17 fluffmonster

fluffmonster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:05 PM

The Dublin Crystal Palace of 1853 is another World's Fair that is lost in history. It had to compete against the success of the London Crystal Palace and the stronger international representation at the NY Crystal Palace. Interior color views of the Dublin Palace show a predominent shade of blue which was quite beautiful. There were 2 refreshment saloons 1st & 2nd class. I think this was the only Worlds fair that served alcohol . There were a few American exhibits- Colt, Singer. Colt sold 40 pitols to the Irish prison system. It was the first Worlds Fair to exhibit fine arts paintings. The architect was knighted by the Queen, who visited the Dublin Crystal palace. Part of the roof blew off during a storm on Christmas Eve, the year before opening. Anyone else have some info about the Dublin Crystal Palace. Just felt that it deserves a topic started about it

Hi!

I'm from Dublin and this is the first time I've ever heard there was a World Fair there, I saw a picture of the Crystal Palace in Dublin in relation to the fair and I'm wondering if it's now the George's Street Arcade, it looks like it might be. Do you know?

Thank you for your incredible wealth of information, are there any books or literature out there that you would recommend on the Dublin Fair?

Thanks!

#18 lemog

lemog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

I'm really interested to learn more about this Dublin Crystal Palace too... effectively, it's quiete hard to find documents about all the "other" Crystal Palaces

Fortunetely, I have the great book about the 1853 NY CP (while waiting the 3d version Posted Image)

Here's some pics about Dublin (not so good) on my site :
http://www.lemog.fr/...s.php?album=348

Posted Image

interesting links :
http://two.archiseek...ibition-dublin/

The place was "Merrion Square", not very far from "George's Street Arcade" !

Posted Image
  • Gabi likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users