• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 1853crystalpalace

1853crystalpalace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:22 AM

The Dublin Crystal Palace of 1853 is another World's Fair that is lost in history. It had to compete against the success of the London Crystal Palace and the stronger international representation at the NY Crystal Palace. Interior color views of the Dublin Palace show a predominent shade of blue which was quite beautiful. There were 2 refreshment saloons 1st & 2nd class. I think this was the only Worlds fair that served alcohol . There were a few American exhibits- Colt, Singer. Colt sold 40 pitols to the Irish prison system. It was the first Worlds Fair to exhibit fine arts paintings. The architect was knighted by the Queen, who visited the Dublin Crystal palace. Part of the roof blew off during a storm on Christmas Eve, the year before opening. Anyone else have some info about the Dublin Crystal Palace. Just felt that it deserves a topic started about it

#2 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:56 AM

I have just learned something new. I never knew about this exposition. I wonder, however, how it would have been embraced by the Irish who were so oppressed by the British at that time and who were just coming out of the infamous potato famine of the 1840's which killed one third of the population. Another third emigrated to the US and Canada in the 1850's. This as a terrible time for the Irish and those years left Ireland as the poorest nation in Europe until the 1980's.

It is hard to imagine this version of the Crystal Palace as much more than a symbol of British imperialism in 1853 and, therefore, shunned by many Irish people.

#3 1853crystalpalace

1853crystalpalace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:11 AM

Jim

A very keen observation. The only thing that saved it in the eyes of the Irish is that it was entirely funded by William Dargan, head and developer of the Irish Railroad. The intent of the exhibition was to try and introduce the industrial revolution to Ireland, who was far behind all other european countries. It was not successful in doing so because, other that the upper classes, the common Irish country person could not identify with any of the technology of the time. Some limited Irish furniture industry was shown and of course the linen and lace industry was shown, which the Irish could identify with. Also Bog wood carvings and Celtic artifacts were showcased, but none of this insspired new Irish Industry. British exhibits were limited to those companies who were looking for in markets in Ireland, with little success. Actually during most of the fair season it was a venue for the upper & middle class to gather at the crystal palace to be seen and to listen to the daily organ recitals, but you ar right, the average irish citizen missed out. It was only during the last month of the that Dargan convinced railroads to offer very inexpensive excursions rate and combined with an admission ticket for almost nothing, did some of the general irish public get to see the crystal palace in Dublin. thanks Jim

#4 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:50 AM

You have already provided me with good info that I never knew and I thank you. I would love to learn more about this event. And welcome to this site. This is why I keep returning. I learn from people like you!
Jim

#5 1853crystalpalace

1853crystalpalace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:16 AM

Jim
I plan on starting a few topics on early fairs Paris 1855, 1867 and London 1862 sometime soon. They all are fascinating stories in themsleves. Back to the Dublin Crystal Palace and its foreign representation. It amounted to Belgium, France, Austria, Prussia and the Zollverin. There were 3 courts - China, Japan and India. A great deal of the Indian Court was furnished by Queen Victoria herself along with items from the East India Museum. The Chinese court was organized by British importers and the Japanese court was the collection of the King of Holland.(The Dutch had done early trading with Japan before she closed her ports to Westerners). All three sections proved to be very popular

#6 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:17 AM

Very interesting. Japan was not yet open to the world in 1853. The Tokugawa Shogunate had yet to experience the arrival and demands of Commodore Perry to open their doors to trade with the US. I think that came in 1854. In any event, it does sound very much like a British impeirial exhibit more than anything else.

#7 1853crystalpalace

1853crystalpalace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:33 AM

Has anyone ever seen a color image of the outside of the Dublin Crystal Palace?

#8 Joey Chernov

Joey Chernov

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:38 AM

Iv'e heard a little about this Fair, but not very much; im loving the new information! May I ask how you know so much?

#9 1853crystalpalace

1853crystalpalace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:05 AM

Thanks. I have a passion for World's Fairs and have been studying them for 45 years. I also love history which is important because you can connect the dots. I have a nice library of primary and secondary sources and love doing research. I especially like pieces of pop culture info that everyone can relate to - food products at fairs and technologies that were seen by the general public for the first time. I go off on tangets and intensively study certain fairs. I love them all. I learn something new every day. I especially like the neglected fairs. 1853 NY, 1853 Dublin, 1867 Paris, 1884-5 New Orleans. A little more about the Dublin Crystal Palace. There were 2 color lithographs shown at the NYCP. Would love to see what they look like. There are several views of the interior which are quite beautiful. I am having problems attaching pics that I have on my computer and would love to share those with everybody (I just found a view of the exterior of the DCP I have never seen before) Anyway, thanks for asking

#10 Joey Chernov

Joey Chernov

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:20 AM

No problem! Its how we learn information! I have issues attaching pictures too

#11 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,736 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:26 AM

What issues are you guys having?

#12 1853crystalpalace

1853crystalpalace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:35 AM

Bill

I do not know how to insert or attach images I have on my computer. In some areas I am computer challanged. When I go to attach and I pull up a picture from my files, it says "No file selected"

#13 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,736 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:18 AM

I don't use attachments much myself as I host my images on my own server, but let's see if I can walk you through the steps.

As I type this reply there's a section just underneath this text box that says "Attachments". It has a field to enter a file name, a button with the word "Browse" and one that says "Clear Selection".

If you know the path to where your file is on your hard drive that you want to attach you can enter it in that first box.

Likewise you can use the "Browse" button to find it on your hard drive. Using either method, you need to select the file so the FULL path name shows up in the box on the left. If a picture is in a directory you need to include the whole path, starting with the drive letter, etc. Browsing and selecting will get that for you.

You then need to click the button "Attach This File". There may be a slight pause as the file is located and attached. In this case I have attached a file called "_EAT-1.jpg", then continued to type this message. I can now go and attach my second file following the same steps.

Under this text box and under the word "Attachments" you should now see a thumbnail of your attachments, the file names, and their sizes.

Once you've attached all of the files for the message you can click the "Add Reply" or "Preview Post" buttons. A preview will show a larger thumbnail of each image as part of your message.

Give that a try and let me know what happens. Remember - if you cannot see the whole path name to the file in that first box the system will not find your image to attach it.

This message should now have two attachments that were selected as described.

Bill

Attached Files

#14 Joey Chernov

Joey Chernov

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:45 AM

I'm missing the box that says upload file.

#15 1853crystalpalace

1853crystalpalace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:30 PM

Bill
Some files were too large that is why I couldn't attach them
ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users