#31 Larry L

Larry L

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:05 AM

"wax doll exhibit that rang bells and moved their heads..."

There's a museum in San Francisco that has a collection of those old fashioned clockwork dolls that used to be at fairs and amusement parks and store windows (you can see some in a store window Christmas display in "A Christmas Carol" (1951).

#32 1853crystalpalace

1853crystalpalace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:34 AM

Were any artifacts from the place saved, and maybe still existing?

There are some carved furnishings on display at the Metropolitan Museum several years ago, a French Chandelier at a South? Carolina University, a small carved crypt in a Pennsylvania cemetary, Powers Greek Slave statue. Some Bennington Pottery that was shown at the Crystal Palace is on display at the Bennington Museum in Vermont.

#33 knickerbocker

knickerbocker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:40 PM

How can I get a copy of Ed's book?

#34 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,647 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:35 PM

I've sent Ed a note asking for the ordering details and will pass it along when I hear back from him.

Welcome to the group!

Bill

#35 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,647 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:33 PM

Sent via PM

#36 maclilus

maclilus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:57 PM

On the lost history of the crystal palace, were you able to find a portrait or group picture of the architects and engineers who built it? I am trying to find an image of the engineer who was responsible for constructing the Dome.

#37 Susan Enns

Susan Enns

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:52 PM

I've become very interested in your discussion. I've been intrigued by Bryson's book, 'At Home' where he touches on London's Crystal Palace of 1851 and Larson's description in 'The Devil and the White City', of the 1892 Chicago's World Columbian Exposition. I have in my possession two family letters where one relative visited the Crystal Palace at London's Great Exhibition of 1851 and an other where a visit was made to NYC Crystal Palace in 1853. He does make a few descriptions about the NYC site and I am therefore very interested to discover where I might get a copy of Ed Witkowski's book 'The Lost History of the 1853 New York Crystal Palace: America's First World's Fair'. I understand it's out of print.

#38 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,647 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:21 PM

Ed's a member of this board and stops by from time to time. If he doesn't reply in a few days please remind me and I'll track him down for you. It's a good book and you'll enjoy it.

#39 Susan Enns

Susan Enns

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:29 PM

Bill,
I haven't heard from Ed concerning my inquiry of Nov. 24, 2011 and would still very much like to. Could you make inquiries for me?
Thanks.

#40 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,647 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:33 PM

I sent you his address just now. Please say hi to Ed and tell him to come back for a visit!

#41 Ned

Ned

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:28 PM

Ed, would you happen to have any information about the police force of Crystal Palace? One of their badges is on display in the NYPD museum and I once came across a period article describing their uniforms (which I no longer have). That's all I've encountered.

TIA,

Ned S.

#42 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

Was Bryant Park the site of that reservoir that once existed in mid-town? I have seen prints of it and recall reading it was built on the site of the first fair. Is the NYC Public Library now on the site?

#43 Lorenzo Hill

Lorenzo Hill

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

My great grand father worked in the customs office at the Crystal Palace Exhibition and in 1856 he emigrated to South America. Look here: http://www.geni.com/...00002987951317.
I wonder if there is any information arround him and/or his job.
Regards, Lorenzo

#44 Gabi

Gabi

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

Hello everyone,

I am doing my PhD research about the structure of the NY Crystal Palace and I would love to have Ed's book. Does anyone know where I can find it?

I really appreciate it.

G.

#45 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,647 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

Try sending him a message through the board. It should alert him via e-mail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users