• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 1853crystalpalace

1853crystalpalace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:08 PM

It is if the spire is included but not if you only go by occupied floors.

Marc
just wanted to say how much I am enjoying The World's Fair Community. You've done a great job. I think the fairs that never got off the groung is a great idea and I have a collection of newspaper clippings about some of those fairs plus a complete proposal for the 1989 NY World's Fair. Will have to pull in info out. Are you the Marc who worked at the Queens Museum?

#17 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,871 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:22 PM

Ed, some Crystal Palace images for you.

First, a view of the Walt Disney World version:
Posted Image

and an interior view:
Posted Image

and an angle not usually seen, as it was taken from the penthouse level of Cinderella Castle, which is closed to the public:
Posted Image

There's also another version at Tokyo Disneyland (a lousy scan, need to find the film and fix it but here it is for now):
Posted Image

There was a small tribute to it at the US Pavilion at the 1982 World's Fair:
Posted Image

Hope you like them.

Bill

#18 maclilus

maclilus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:53 PM

Ed, welcome.

Of the items you have collected about the 1853 Fair at NYC, have you come across any photographs or lithographs depicting the people responsible for making it happen? Also, have you checked the New York Public Library which has a special collection devoted to the Fair and Crystal Palace?

Did you know that Walt Whitman's poem, the Exposition, was inspired by the 1853 Fair?

Til then.

JMcK

#19 1853crystalpalace

1853crystalpalace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:16 PM

Ed, welcome.

Of the items you have collected about the 1853 Fair at NYC, have you come across any photographs or lithographs depicting the people responsible for making it happen? Also, have you checked the New York Public Library which has a special collection devoted to the Fair and Crystal Palace?

Did you know that Walt Whitman's poem, the Exposition, was inspired by the 1853 Fair?

Til then.

JMcK

JMcK
Song of the Exposition certainly had to be inspired by Whitmans visits to the Crystal Palace. He was paid to write & read it 1871 for the 40th Fair of the American Institute which was an industrial fair started in NYC in 1831. He spent many hours at the fair and befriended many policemen there. He wrote about he Crystal Palace in 1857 while he was editor of the Brooklyn Eagle . Other literary personalties who were influenced by the CP were 17 year old Mark Twain (one of his first examples of his writing is a letter to his sister describing the palace), Henry James who saw it as a boy and later wrote about it in "A Small Boy & Others", Steven Foster, Ann S. Stephens (wrote the "Old Homstead" and the first dime novel), and William Cullen Bryant who wrote an ode for the opening of the CP and who Bryant Park is named after (1884). It is ironic that the Crystal Palace burned down during the Fair of the American Institute in 1858. There is a daguerreotype of Theodore Sedwick, president of the Cp and there are lithographs of the architects Carstensen & Gildemeister. I do not know of any other photos. A grand banquent was given for Chief engineer C.E. Detmold on 9/13/1853 at the Astor Hotel. I am not aware of a special collection at the NY public library except for a collection of trade cards in the Dunwyck (? spelling) collection which was recently found after being lost for some time (I have not seen it). The New York Historical Society holds the papers of the Crystal Palace Association and is quite extensive. A lot of this is in my book. I could go on and on. Thanks for your interest

Ed

#20 Joey Chernov

Joey Chernov

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:54 AM

Wow, thanks for the massive info! I remember Disney World's Crystal Palace, as I ate there last time I went!

#21 1853crystalpalace

1853crystalpalace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:26 AM

Just a little more "Lost History" In july of 1853 the New York Herald published "A walking tour of the outside area of the Crystal Palace". I quoted the whole article in my book because it proves that the NYCP was the first world's fair to have an amusement area. It was very extensive and included the Latting Observatory, Mt. Croton formal gardens, Views of the Universe, Model of San Francisco and Califonia, 25 cent Dagguerreotype gallery, largest crocodile ever captured, giant Camera Obscura, a dance hall that carried passengers around on a miniature RR while they ate and drank(the ride was free if they kept drinking). a "Temple of Refreshment", Circus, a wax doll exhibit that rang bells and moved their heads, the wild man of Borneo, scores of unusual animals, a Temperence tent and many other exhibits. These were located on 42nd street all the way to 43rd street, along 6th avenue from 42nd to 40th St and on 40th street between 5th & 6th.

#22 senirupa

senirupa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:12 AM

Dear everyone,
I am hoping that someone can help me here. I am trying to figure out if Japan participated or anything of Japan was shown at the 1853 World's Fair in New York. There is a song by Ryuichi Sakamoto, which remakes Stephen Foster's Jeanie with Light Brown Hair, making it sound like a Japanese/Okinawan song! I am wondering if perhaps Stephen Foster was exposed to Japanese music. Does anyone know if he might have been present? Thanks
--Amir

#23 SonnyTFox

SonnyTFox

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:38 PM

Dear everyone,
I am hoping that someone can help me here. I am trying to figure out if Japan participated or anything of Japan was shown at the 1853 World's Fair in New York. There is a song by Ryuichi Sakamoto, which remakes Stephen Foster's Jeanie with Light Brown Hair, making it sound like a Japanese/Okinawan song! I am wondering if perhaps Stephen Foster was exposed to Japanese music. Does anyone know if he might have been present? Thanks
--Amir

Admiral Perry first steamed into Japan in 1853.Before then Japan had practiced isolationism for centuries.It is doubtful that Japan would have participated in any Western event on such short notice and with so little exposure to the west.

#24 senirupa

senirupa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:51 PM

True, but as someone mentioned that at the Dublin 1853 Exhibition, Japan was featured as courts, which were not represented by Japan herself. Maybe there was something like this in New York as well?

#25 1853crystalpalace

1853crystalpalace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 02:06 PM

True, but as someone mentioned that at the Dublin 1853 Exhibition, Japan was featured as courts, which were not represented by Japan herself. Maybe there was something like this in New York as well?

The Japan exhibit at the 1853 Doublin Crystal Crystal palace came from a private collection from the king of the Netherlands which had a presence in Japan from 1609 to 1857. The second year of the New York Crystal palace (1854) some of the items from Dublin were sent to NY. There are illustrations of these items in an issue of the 1854 Gleason's Pictorial. Stephen Foster was living in New York at the time and wrote that he visited the Crystal Palace, but I do not know if there is a connection

#26 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,396 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:46 PM

I had always assumed that DW's Crystal Palace was loosely based on the one in London that burned in 1936.
But that statement from the architectural firm is pretty definitive. Thanks for educating me. Next time I go to DW I'll pay more attention and not walk by so quickly.

#27 senirupa

senirupa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:34 PM

The Japan exhibit at the 1853 Doublin Crystal Crystal palace came from a private collection from the king of the Netherlands which had a presence in Japan from 1609 to 1857. The second year of the New York Crystal palace (1854) some of the items from Dublin were sent to NY. There are illustrations of these items in an issue of the 1854 Gleason's Pictorial. Stephen Foster was living in New York at the time and wrote that he visited the Crystal Palace, but I do not know if there is a connection

i bet you there may have been. Did he not write about what intrigued him the most? and where did he write about it? thanks!

#28 1853crystalpalace

1853crystalpalace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:57 AM

i bet you there may have been. Did he not write about what intrigued him the most? and where did he write about it? thanks!

He wrote about his visit tto the Crystal Palace in a letter to a friend, which I found reference to when doing research for my Crystal Palace book. He was recently seperated or divorced from his wife and moved to NYC.

#29 Larry L

Larry L

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:57 AM

Hello everybody. My name is Ed Witkowski. I been wanting to join the World's Fair Commmunity for quite some time. I chose to sign up during "The Lost Weekend" So glad I am finally on. Been collecting for 45 years (all World's Fairs), but my favorite is the 1853 NY Crystal Palace. I think I am the only one in the world. Just wrote a book "The Lost History of the New York Crystal Palace - America's First World's Fair" the first book ever written on the subject. Anyway it will be interesting to see if anyone is interested in this poor forgotten fair.

http://www.amazon.co...61493623&sr=8-1

That sounds intriguing to me. I have read about the NY Crystal place, and seen a picture of it, and know where it was located, but the details did seem to be lost, like what was inside?

#30 Larry L

Larry L

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:01 AM

Just a little more "Lost History" In july of 1853 the New York Herald published "A walking tour of the outside area of the Crystal Palace". I quoted the whole article in my book because it proves that the NYCP was the first world's fair to have an amusement area. It was very extensive and included the Latting Observatory, Mt. Croton formal gardens, Views of the Universe, Model of San Francisco and Califonia, 25 cent Dagguerreotype gallery, largest crocodile ever captured, giant Camera Obscura, a dance hall that carried passengers around on a miniature RR while they ate and drank(the ride was free if they kept drinking). a "Temple of Refreshment", Circus, a wax doll exhibit that rang bells and moved their heads, the wild man of Borneo, scores of unusual animals, a Temperence tent and many other exhibits. These were located on 42nd street all the way to 43rd street, along 6th avenue from 42nd to 40th St and on 40th street between 5th & 6th.

Were any artifacts from the place saved, and maybe still existing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users