The Lost History of the New York Crystal Palace

45 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I had always assumed that DW's Crystal Palace was loosely based on the one in London that burned in 1936.

But that statement from the architectural firm is pretty definitive. Thanks for educating me. Next time I go to DW I'll pay more attention and not walk by so quickly.

Posted · Report post

The Japan exhibit at the 1853 Doublin Crystal Crystal palace came from a private collection from the king of the Netherlands which had a presence in Japan from 1609 to 1857. The second year of the New York Crystal palace (1854) some of the items from Dublin were sent to NY. There are illustrations of these items in an issue of the 1854 Gleason's Pictorial. Stephen Foster was living in New York at the time and wrote that he visited the Crystal Palace, but I do not know if there is a connection

i bet you there may have been. Did he not write about what intrigued him the most? and where did he write about it? thanks!

Posted · Report post

i bet you there may have been. Did he not write about what intrigued him the most? and where did he write about it? thanks!

He wrote about his visit tto the Crystal Palace in a letter to a friend, which I found reference to when doing research for my Crystal Palace book. He was recently seperated or divorced from his wife and moved to NYC.

Posted · Report post

Hello everybody. My name is Ed Witkowski. I been wanting to join the World's Fair Commmunity for quite some time. I chose to sign up during "The Lost Weekend" So glad I am finally on. Been collecting for 45 years (all World's Fairs), but my favorite is the 1853 NY Crystal Palace. I think I am the only one in the world. Just wrote a book "The Lost History of the New York Crystal Palace - America's First World's Fair" the first book ever written on the subject. Anyway it will be interesting to see if anyone is interested in this poor forgotten fair.

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-History-1853-Crystal-Palace/dp/1598991426/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261493623&sr=8-1

That sounds intriguing to me. I have read about the NY Crystal place, and seen a picture of it, and know where it was located, but the details did seem to be lost, like what was inside?

Posted · Report post

Just a little more "Lost History" In july of 1853 the New York Herald published "A walking tour of the outside area of the Crystal Palace". I quoted the whole article in my book because it proves that the NYCP was the first world's fair to have an amusement area. It was very extensive and included the Latting Observatory, Mt. Croton formal gardens, Views of the Universe, Model of San Francisco and Califonia, 25 cent Dagguerreotype gallery, largest crocodile ever captured, giant Camera Obscura, a dance hall that carried passengers around on a miniature RR while they ate and drank(the ride was free if they kept drinking). a "Temple of Refreshment", Circus, a wax doll exhibit that rang bells and moved their heads, the wild man of Borneo, scores of unusual animals, a Temperence tent and many other exhibits. These were located on 42nd street all the way to 43rd street, along 6th avenue from 42nd to 40th St and on 40th street between 5th & 6th.

Were any artifacts from the place saved, and maybe still existing?

Posted · Report post

"wax doll exhibit that rang bells and moved their heads..."

There's a museum in San Francisco that has a collection of those old fashioned clockwork dolls that used to be at fairs and amusement parks and store windows (you can see some in a store window Christmas display in "A Christmas Carol" (1951).

Posted · Report post

Were any artifacts from the place saved, and maybe still existing?

There are some carved furnishings on display at the Metropolitan Museum several years ago, a French Chandelier at a South? Carolina University, a small carved crypt in a Pennsylvania cemetary, Powers Greek Slave statue. Some Bennington Pottery that was shown at the Crystal Palace is on display at the Bennington Museum in Vermont.

Posted · Report post

How can I get a copy of Ed's book?

Posted · Report post

I've sent Ed a note asking for the ordering details and will pass it along when I hear back from him.

Welcome to the group!

Bill

Posted · Report post

Sent via PM

Posted · Report post

On the lost history of the crystal palace, were you able to find a portrait or group picture of the architects and engineers who built it? I am trying to find an image of the engineer who was responsible for constructing the Dome.

Posted · Report post

I've become very interested in your discussion. I've been intrigued by Bryson's book, 'At Home' where he touches on London's Crystal Palace of 1851 and Larson's description in 'The Devil and the White City', of the 1892 Chicago's World Columbian Exposition. I have in my possession two family letters where one relative visited the Crystal Palace at London's Great Exhibition of 1851 and an other where a visit was made to NYC Crystal Palace in 1853. He does make a few descriptions about the NYC site and I am therefore very interested to discover where I might get a copy of Ed Witkowski's book 'The Lost History of the 1853 New York Crystal Palace: America's First World's Fair'. I understand it's out of print.

Posted · Report post

Ed's a member of this board and stops by from time to time. If he doesn't reply in a few days please remind me and I'll track him down for you. It's a good book and you'll enjoy it.

Posted · Report post

Bill,

I haven't heard from Ed concerning my inquiry of Nov. 24, 2011 and would still very much like to. Could you make inquiries for me?

Thanks.

Posted · Report post

I sent you his address just now. Please say hi to Ed and tell him to come back for a visit!

Posted · Report post

Ed, would you happen to have any information about the police force of Crystal Palace? One of their badges is on display in the NYPD museum and I once came across a period article describing their uniforms (which I no longer have). That's all I've encountered.

TIA,

Ned S.

Posted · Report post

Was Bryant Park the site of that reservoir that once existed in mid-town? I have seen prints of it and recall reading it was built on the site of the first fair. Is the NYC Public Library now on the site?

Posted · Report post

Hello everyone,

I am doing my PhD research about the structure of the NY Crystal Palace and I would love to have Ed's book. Does anyone know where I can find it?

I really appreciate it.

G.

Posted · Report post

Try sending him a message through the board. It should alert him via e-mail.