23 replies to this topic

#1 Marc Williams

Marc Williams

Really Loves World's Fairs

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:43 AM

Found this while researching fairs in Florida. Wish they had a catalog!

http://www.hmsf.org/...ns-interama.htm

http://www.hmsf.org/...es/2001-513.htm

#2 Joey Chernov

Joey Chernov

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:21 AM

All I can say is WOW. This would have been a great fair had it been completed. I find it interesting that they wanted to make it a permanent exhibition and cultural centre.

#3 Joey Chernov

Joey Chernov

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:25 AM

Here is all the information on Paul Rudolph's site, one of the architects who helped design a phase of the Interama:

http://prudolph.lib....h/node/interama

#4 Joey Chernov

Joey Chernov

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:59 AM

Here is the site considered for the 1960's phase of the Interama in 2008, now the location of Oleta State park and Florida International University's Biscayne Campus:

Attached File  Interamasite2008.jpg   549.92KB   10 downloads

And the same site with the groundplan of the Interama:
Attached File  GroundPlan.jpg   66.98KB   8 downloads

Interama a few years later in 1972:
Attached File  Third Century U.S.A. Model of Interama. 1970s.jpg   50.56KB   12 downloads

#5 expoboy

expoboy

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:32 PM

I had read about Interama during the 1960s and remember that it was to be a permanent exposition a la EPCOT. Thanks, Joey for the great links... I've always wondered what it would have looked like had the project been realized. Another "would-have-been" world's fair was planned for Long Beach, CA to run from October 1966 to April of 1967. It was titled Planet of Man Exposition. The Long Beach Public Library has a couple volumes that were assembled by the corporation planning the event and a sculpture outside City Hall is purported to be a model of the proposed theme structure. I've not found anything online about this event; anybody know of anything?

#6 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,282 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:50 PM

I have a few news clippings somewhere about the Long Beach attempt and another one in Ontario, CA in the mid-late 70s. The usual hype at the start and finger pointing at the end.

#7 Joey Chernov

Joey Chernov

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:12 PM

I cant find any pictures of City Hall other than from midpoint up. Do you recall what it looked like? It would have been cool if both California and Ontario pulled off permanent expositions!

BTW Bill - every time I open a page other than the main page I get the a worse than low-fi version of the site. No borders, few images, no colours ect. I'm using a Mac again, do you know what could be causing this?

#8 Joey Chernov

Joey Chernov

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:14 PM

The Tower of Freedom in the '70's version reminds ya of the Trylon doesn't it :)

#9 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,282 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:37 PM

Sorry, Joey, I don't have a Mac these days so I can't duplicate the "experience."

#10 Joey Chernov

Joey Chernov

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:28 AM

Weird. Now I get the normal borders, colours ect, but none of the smaller images pop up.

#11 expoboy

expoboy

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:43 AM

I cant find any pictures of City Hall other than from midpoint up. Do you recall what it looked like? It would have been cool if both California and Ontario pulled off permanent expositions!

BTW Bill - every time I open a page other than the main page I get the a worse than low-fi version of the site. No borders, few images, no colours ect. I'm using a Mac again, do you know what could be causing this?

The sculpture actually sits a little east of Long Beach City Hall closer to the Main Library. In some ways, it resembles the Trylon and Perisphere... imagine a very large Perisphere with a shorter, wider Trylon and no bridge inbetween. I'll try to snap a photo next time I'm there and post it.

By the way, the Ontario fair Bill Cotter mentioned was planned for Ontario, CA, not the Province of Ontario, Canada and neither was planned as a permanent exposition as far as I know.

#12 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,067 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:28 AM

Somewhere at home I'm pretty sure I have a brochure from about 1966, promoting the Long Beach Expo.

#13 Marc Williams

Marc Williams

Really Loves World's Fairs

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:58 AM

Weird. Now I get the normal borders, colours ect, but none of the smaller images pop up.

When something doesn't look right refreshing your browser cache will often fix things.

Usually this can be done by pressing the Ctrl key and the F5 key (Ctrl+F5).

You can find instructions for most browsers in this Wikipedia article on bypassing the browser cache.

#14 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:56 PM

Still kind of amazed that Los Angeles--nor its environs-- have ever pulled off a World's Fair. Especially when San Francisco and San Diego have both done it TWICE!

You'd think it would've happened at the appropriately named EXPOSITION PARK-- where the Coliseum, and Natural History and Science Museums are located downtown:

Exposition Park

#15 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,282 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:11 PM

With our current "leaders" I don't think Los Angeles could pull off a lemonade stand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users