• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Sean

Sean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:13 AM

This is a short NFB film made during Expo67. Very good quality.

http://www.nfb.ca/fi...ions_of_expo_67

#2 Joey Chernov

Joey Chernov

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:03 PM

That was cool, first general overview of that fair that I have seen. I especially liked the part around 7.30 when the monorail went around the entire fair, then showing the THOUSANDS of people. Awesome, what a great find!

#3 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for sharing the link, Sean-- and welcome to PTU! :)

#4 expoboy

expoboy

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:40 PM

Makes me want to roll the clock back to April of 1967! Amazing quality, both video and audio. There seems to be lots of emphasis on the minirail. The last several world's fairs have had no comparable on-site transportation and from what I can see, Expo 2010 will not either. That's really a shame; it seemed a great way to get around the site while providing some hard-to-beat sightseeing and photo ops.

#5 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 05:29 AM

I have no words to adequately convey my thoughts. I was there in April of 1967 during opening weekend. It was so joyful, so remarkable. This film brought back happy memories. I remember on my first night in Montreal standing in Westmount Park overlooking that beautiful city and the fair in the river. It was breathtaking even to a 14 year old kid.

As I viewed the Mini Train passing through the US Pavilion I saw the massive doors below. I had forgotten about them.

The film is outstanding. What a stunning, proud and successful moment in time for Montreal and all of Canada. What an exciting time in my life. I loved that fair.

#6 ctyankee

ctyankee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:51 AM

Sean, thanks for the link. Much appreciated!

I was 12 in '67 and that video does bring back fond memories.

Just a few to mention:

Both the U.S and Russian pavilions were monuments to the cold war. Quite different but each a force. We met a Czech taxi driver who claimed that one of the photos in the Russian pavilion was actually from Czechoslovakia and had some odd conspiracy theory.

The Canadian pavilion was perhaps a bit underwhelming for a host country but still interesting. I remember they had a bunch of interesting ideas about mass transit.

I do remember that Chinese boat that is in the video but my memory of it would not have been jogged if not for the video.

It is funny what you remember as a kid. I remember going to a gas station and the attendant using a wiper to clean off the windshields. Back in Connecticut, all gas stations used brown paper towels so this was quite different. It's odd what you remember ....

#7 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:56 AM

I remember the Canadian pavilion as enormous in size--vast in its displays. However, the architecture was impressive beyond words. That massive inverted pyramid, the Katimavik, was iconic.

#8 Gilles Mathieu

Gilles Mathieu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:40 PM

This is a short NFB film made during Expo67. Very good quality.

http://www.nfb.ca/fi...ions_of_expo_67

I was 5 year old in 1967. I've made many visit in Expo67 with my parents and older brothers. I returned some year later and despite that some pavilons were dismantled, the remain ones were exciting. The site by itself kept the ''magic" of EXPO67.

This last summer, l've made a Parc-Jean-Drapeau tour, but, as you doubt it, there is noting remain intact from that 1967 world fair. The "Place des Nations" per example is now a total ruin (a shame). I obviously prefer to remember the EXPO67 as i seen it 42 years ago. It still today the most memorable and fantastic event even for me and many persons around me.

#9 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,958 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:17 PM

Welcome, Gilles. Glad you found us. There are quite a few Expo 67 fans here and we're always glad to add to the numbers!

Bill

#10 Allan Oakley

Allan Oakley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:04 PM

I was 14 going on 18 that year. My parents both worked in Montreal and they decided I could be trusted with an annual passport.I basically lived at EXPO 67 from opening day. I skipped many Fridays from school and my passport was used almost 100 times. I never missed one single weekend. Expo was my coming out to adulthood and for my parents was a safe haven that beat the streets of my home town Laval West. I have passport stamps to every single pavillion and autographs from dozens celebrities, politicians, royalty and other VIP's from around the world.Before it was over I knew every trick in the book, had eaten at every restaurant ,rode every ride, had collected every postcard and poster and knew every pavillion inside and out.Many a security guard knew my first name. My parents labelled me Montreal's Un official Ambassador of Youth to the world. When it was all over I had been changed forever. To this day my office walls are line with Expo memorabilia of those glory days when Montreal ,Canada was the centre of the world.

Attached Files

#11 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,432 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:00 PM

Welcome Allan!
How did you find us?

#12 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:37 AM

What a wonderful post. I had a good friend who lived in Westmount who often told me he had similar experiences at Expo during that remarkable year. He walked a block to the new Metro and spent the day on the islands and loved every minute of it. He, too, was 14 at the time. That was my age when I visited Expo on a class trip during the opening weekend. I have never forgotten it and I have loved Montreal ever since.

#13 waynebretl

waynebretl

See Yourself on Color TV!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:23 PM

A common theme in posts here is that early-teen boys appreciate world's fairs more strongly than almost anyone else. My Dad was 16 at the time of the Chicago Century of Progress, and he thought it was the greatest thing he had ever experienced.

#14 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,958 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:31 PM

That's an interesting observation, Wayne. Most of the people posting here are males. I wonder why that is?

#15 waynebretl

waynebretl

See Yourself on Color TV!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:00 PM

My guess is that the whiz-bang technology aspect fills (or filled) an interest that boys couldn't fully satisfy elsewhere. IF that's so, I wonder if it's being replaced by video games and computers. Would be interesting if some of the posters could analyze what things were the strongest attraction (or was it just that everything was out of the ordinary).

I bet Disney has plenty of market research on this topic with respect to Disney World (who likes what, and how strongly), and I also bet they aren't willing to share even a hint of what they know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users