Sign in to follow this  
ImageCat

Unidentified building at Expo

Welcome to the forum!

I couldn't find a match for that mural, but the building itself looks like it may be the Yugoslavia pavilion. If you have others in the same set can you ID the ones before and after this one in the original shooting sequence?

Bill

Welcome Sue!

Bill - I don't have any maps for Expo '58 so I can't tell you which pavilion is which, but I believe I've spotted the mural through the windows of the building on the right-hand side of this photo from your Expo '58 Photo CD 1, Set 002, Image 005:

post-387-1240613412_thumb.jpg

© Bill Cotter – worldsfairphotos.com

Hope this helps!

Kevin

According to the "Official Guide; Brussels World Exhibition 1958" and based on its position in relation to the Civil Engineering Pavilion (the concrete building with the long arm) in the photo posted by Yadda Yadda, this is the Glass, Ceramic and Terracotta Industries Pavilion. Also known as the "Fire Arts Pavilion," the mural shown is described as a "brick bas-relief."

Wow, you guys are great! I didn't have any adjacent slides, sadly, just a few random ones of the Atomium. This image is from a batch donated to our collection, and the donor seems to have culled a number of them. I'll see if I can identify the mural artist.

By the way, the image is open access; please just credit the photographer "Louis Redstone".

Thanks for your help! Now I'll dig through more of this site, it's a great resource!

Sue

It's a university visual resources collection (once known as a slide collection ;) ). A few former professors have donated their slides, and allowed "world access" to the images. (All others are restricted to the university community, so 'outsiders' should only get thumbnails.) The interface needs some work, but you're certainly welcome to check it out (PM me if you have questions). The Montreal Expo is well-represented.

Sue

Are any of these Brussels Expo 58 buildings still left on the grounds (aside from the Atomium)?

Guess this picture kinda answers my question...

459716.jpg

Along with this mention from the current Brussels Expo website:

Brussels Expo is home to 12 impressive halls, including five, which date back to the 1935 World Expo. The other halls were constructed between 1958, the year of the second World Exhibition, and 1998. All halls have been equipped with the very latest technology.

Brussels Expo Website

But I wonder which ones, exactly? Is that giant concrete Civil Engineering Pavilion still there? That tiered wedding cake of a building opposite the Atomium in the above pic looks more true to the 1935 period.

Accch... here I go answering my own questions again.

According to the website linked below - most of the 200 original Expo 58 Pavilions were razed - and the Civil Engineering concrete "arrow" was finally felled in the 70's to make way for new exhibit halls.

Expo 58 Relics

The "tiered wedding cake" structure was indeed built for the 1935 exhibition as were the halls on its immediate right and left and the two smaller buildings on either side of the reflecting pool. For 1958, the statuary at the top of the four columns on the "wedding cake" structure was temporarily removed and the front of the building covered with a large blue parabolic facade with the Expo 58 logo. This was removed at the close of Expo 58. The two rectangular halls at the extreme left and right of the photo were permanent 1958 additions.

As mentioned, the Civil Engineering pavilion was razed to make way for an enormous and architecturally hideous Trade Mart in the 1970s. A few 1958 structures dot the grounds, most notably the foundation and adjacent buildings of the US Pavilion, now in use as a radio station facility. The restaurant portion of the Czechoslovakia Pavilion was recently renovated and reopened as an eatery. Some buildings were removed from the site and reerected elsewhere in Belgium and throughout Europe.

The recent thread with the Civil Engineering pavilion at the Brussels World's Fair sent me looking for more information and this film popped up 
(scroll down).  Great tour of a wonderful fair.  Thailand's entry in Brussels is at about 1:50.

They sure got locked in to an architectural style for exposition road shows in the 50s and 60s.