Sign in to follow this  
JOHNNY AT THE FAIR

The skystreaks control board

That they got from Ian Fleming and the Secret Service. If there was any trouble in the V.I.P. Lounge. Press the 4 button, Whoose, the riff-raft flies out a special hole in the ceiling and into the Astral Fountain to be carried off by the Pinkerton's

Hi everyone:

It has been awhile since I have communicated with all of you. Can you believe, we are still talking about stabilizing the pavilion, 9 years in the making? I cannot go into all the details, but this time around, it is with those that have the "power" to make things happen at the city level. I thought things would be dropped by now, after some real good attempts on our part (as you know of the past), only to learn that we are constantly being pushed for more solutions. Whenever we walk away, a couple of months later things/interest perk up abit. Suffice to say, this has been one of the most difficult projects, let alone a tooth ache of the sorts, with progress that gets constantly turned on and off. But, there is still hope and that is our motivation.

The building still lives--a miracle in itself.

Moving forward, I don't remember what the #4 button is for, or if it ever functioned.

Shoot me for this one, but wouldn't it make sense if the 1 was for the ground floor, thus 2 would be ViP level, 3 would be cafeteria, and 4 would be the lower deck of tower 3. No?

Jason, you might have it. But even macys has a ground floor in there elevators. But then again you might have solved the puzzel. OR WAS THE FOURTH FLOOR A SECRET GETAWAY FOR R.M.....................Johnny

Yep, NS was Non Stop.(then again, it could also have been to light the No Smoking lamp.)

The 1 has got to be the ground floor. There are no other command buttons to bring the skystreak back down, thus 1 is ground floor, and 4 is Tower 3.( lower deck.)

There must be a manual override though somewhere, otherwise how did they command the capsule to go down into the basement? I'm thinking a key switch and simple up/down buttons.

That historian fella from Otis, the one who wanted to help us solve the old counterweight mystery back in '07 then mysteriously disappeared one foggy night, he would be able to pull up all the tech manuals for the system.

Yep, NS was Non Stop.(then again, it could also have been to light the No Smoking lamp.)

The 1 has got to be the ground floor. There are no other command buttons to bring the skystreak back down, thus 1 is ground floor, and 4 is Tower 3.( lower deck.)

There must be a manual override though somewhere, otherwise how did they command the capsule to go down into the basement? I'm thinking a key switch and simple up/down buttons.

That historian fella from Otis, the one who wanted to help us solve the old counterweight mystery back in '07 then mysteriously disappeared one foggy night, he would be able to pull up all the tech manuals for the system.

Nope, couldn't have been a No Smoking lamp. Back then, everybody smoked whenever and wherever they wanted to. :P

Nope, couldn't have been a No Smoking lamp. Back then, everybody smoked whenever and wherever they wanted to. :P

It might have been a "No Singing" button then. Someone bursts into song while the Elevator is in transit, the operator hits the button and the offending

individual is ejected.

• Like 1

Hi Johnny.

Does the #4 switch and lamp wires have a numbering bands on them and its that a strap of common bus soldered across the lamp sockets

Lamps 1 -2 and 3 (Blue Wires)

Lamps 4 (Yellow) ----This looks odd

Also it looks the the control was a 12 or 24 volt system.

If you post the number of those lamps I can draw you up a simple diagrahm to make that work and light up.

I can even draw up a simple chaiser circuit with a IC timer, stepper and lamp driver transister.

--Joe

Looking at the photo it appears the #4 switch is on a dedicated circuit.

The common's on 1, 2 and 3 are ganged together.

Perhaps a secret switch or key was needed to get the skystreak to the service basement or beacon. (If it even went to the beacon)

There should be position switched on the track of the floor that corrispond to #4.

Its looks like #4 uses a molmantary contact switch like the others

(This means it wouldnt be used for a fan or lamp)

-Joe

post-3769-1241592697_thumb.jpgpost-3769-1241480856_thumb.jpgpost-3769-1241480856_thumb.jpgpost-3769-1241480881_thumb.jpgpost-3769-1241480928_thumb.jpgpost-3769-1241480978_thumb.jpg[attachmen

t

=3260:IMG_5925.JPG]post-3769-1241481059_thumb.jpgpost-3769-1241481176_thumb.jpg[

a

ttachment=3263:IMG_5928.JPG]post-3769-1241481277_thumb.jpgJoe, the number 4 button has the number 71 on the band, the three has 72. I pluged the wire that comes off the bus bar and the neutral wire for each light and they all lit. If the 4 button is a dedicated wire that brings up more questions. Hope the photos help...........Johnny

post-3769-1241481030_thumb.jpg

post-3769-1241481214_thumb.jpg

71 and 72

Yep #4 was a floor, if the corrisponding button 4 is a molmantary contact type like the others it confirms this.

There must be a hidden button, switch, key, terminal strip jumper that completed the circuit to activate #4 when needed.

The lamp wireing would be like the others

I’m wondering if both levels of deck #3 had elevator access.

I kind of remember going up then walking down some scary high steps looking down at all these colors as a kid.

Come now I'm almost positive full cars of people were dropped off at the top of deck of #3 walked down and entered an empty car & braught back down on the Lower deck of tower 3.

Its more efficient to maximize capacity and keep order somewhat when it was busy

......Ill ask if my father if he remembers

That would make 4 levels with the service basement acess operated manual via some switch or relay in the the basement?

Im pretty sure Amusemant park elevators dont have service basement acess from the cars ?

Chas may know if that makes sense.

Problem is nobody remembers LOL

-Joe

:IMG_2646.JPG] Here is a picture of what was left of the skystreak in the basement., but theres no indication of a call button. Maybe they used a phone to call the cab operator and the person pressed the D button.

post-3769-1242274388_thumb.jpg

:IMG_2646.JPG] Here is a picture of what was left of the skystreak in the basement., but theres no indication of a call button. Maybe they used a phone to call the cab operator and the person pressed the D button.

That is a sad picture. I don't know why on Earth they decided to put it there at the end of the fair; its almost like the willingly let it be destroyed. Have you any other pictures from a different angle?

Sad, people have no regard for their past :( ....The lift thats parked half-way up is lucky, its only rusting away, while the lower one is being ripped and destroyed into oblivion. Thanks for the Repost.