j4sing

Has anyone seen this boat?

There was a ferryboat from the Staten Island Ferry, called the "Miss New York" that retired in the 1970's and became a floating restaurant in Bridgeport, Connecticut. I have been searching the web trying to find it, but have found no luck. Does anyone know if it is still there?

Here is what it looked like when it was in service- the windows are unmistakable...

post-3703-1240406861_thumb.jpg

There were 3 boats of that class; the Miss New York, the Gold Star Mother, and the Mary Murray.

Gold Star Mother was scrapped, MNY went to Bridgeport to become a restaurant, and the Mary Murray went to New Jersey

to also become a restaurant. Unfortunately, the Murray sat and rotted for 30 years,never to become anything, and was finally scrapped just last summer.

post-3703-1240407014_thumb.jpg

There was a ferryboat from the Staten Island Ferry, called the "Miss New York" that retired in the 1970's and became a floating restaurant in Bridgeport, Connecticut. I have been searching the web trying to find it, but have found no luck. Does anyone know if it is still there?

Here is what it looked like when it was in service- the windows are unmistakable...

post-3703-1240406861_thumb.jpg

There were 3 boats of that class; the Miss New York, the Gold Star Mother, and the Mary Murray.

Gold Star Mother was scrapped, MNY went to Bridgeport to become a restaurant, and the Mary Murray went to New Jersey

to also become a restaurant. Unfortunately, the Murray sat and rotted for 30 years,never to become anything, and was finally scrapped just last summer.

post-3703-1240407014_thumb.jpg

Jason-

We live basically one town over from Bridgeport. I will try and do a little detective work and see what I can find.

I will let you know what I uncover. Just be patient, I've been crazy busy. Our daughters ( yes Specialbunny and her sis) are graduating from college in just a few weeks, and Jess's sister Mell just had the opening of her Senior Art show in Mass. Wednesday night. Its all very exciting.

Hope all is well with you.

/ Nancy

Thank you Nancy, that is very kind. I plan on visiting the New Haven Trolley Museum this summer,

so if the Miss New York is still there in Bridgeport, that would be a nice place to go eat. I really appreciate your detective work! :D

Congratulations with Mel's art show, that sounds very exciting! Is there a web site for it? Best always, Jason

Hello Jason. I don't know exactly how accurate this is, but I did manage to find something that describes the fate of the Miss New York. Everything else seems to indicate that she was refitted as a restaurant in 1982, but this story says that she served as a restaurant in Bridgeport and then was moved in the 1970s. Like I said, I don't know how accurate this is, but it's something at least.

This comes from here: http://talk.nycsubway.org/perl/read?subtalk=584313

Re: Which Ferry Boat? (Mary Murray class)

Posted by CC 8TH AVE. LOCAL on Wed Oct 15 21:43:45 2003, in response to Re: Which Ferry Boat?,

posted by Wayne-MrSlantR40 on Wed Oct 15 21:28:01 2003.

The Marry Murray, Miss New York, and Gold Star Mother, lasted until the early 70s. These art-deco, late 1930s boats were the last built with the traditional open promenade around the upper-deck cabins. They were popular with captains but not with the engine-room fellows, as, partially due to the short stacks, the boiler room temps could be excessive. These were large boats, carrying both vehicles and passengers. After retirement, the Gold Star Mother was used as a floating drug rehabilitation center, nicknamed "Gold Star Methadone". She was later scrapped. Miss New York, for a time, served as a floating restuarant in Bridgeport, Conn, then, in the 70s, was brought down to Edgewater, NJ, to become a NEW resturant near the ex-EL "Binghamton" . She sat there for years and finally sunk when ice punctured her hull during the early 90s. She, too, was scrapped. The Marry Murray (the last I heard) was beached high and dry on the flats of the Raritan River, near New Brunswick. Sad ends for fine old craft.

All gone. Sad.

Hi Jason

I don't know if this helps any but here in forgotten-ny is a piece about the Staten Is. boatyard where there are hulks of ferries: http://www.forgotten-ny.com/SLICES/boatyard/boatyard.html and a link to a site where there are more photos of the boatyard: http://www.undercity.org/photos/Ship_graveyard1/index.htm

Nah, that's the Rossville boat graveyard, I used to live near there for a while. Thanks anyway, Don.

The mystery is solved. The Miss New York went to Bridgeport, became a restaurant in the 80's, which was when I remember last seeing that story in the newspaper.

A few years after that, it was sold and went down to New Jersey to continue as a restaurant, but inproper maintenence resulted in it sinking. The restaurant, along with the food, was lost.

The Miss New York was subsequently raised and blowtorched to scrap.

The Mary Murray was scrapped last year. I actually saw it one final time driving on the NJ Turnpike to Great Adventure.

Here is a great photo story by someone who visited the old ferryboat via rowboat and boarded it. Very haunting photography, great stuff.

http://www.marielorenz.com/inprogress/?p=1078

Great article on the Mary Murray. I saw that boat for years off the NJ Turnpike. It looked so lost. The past 5-8 years it really declined. I never knew what it was until now.

I vaguely remember riding on the Mary Murray when I was a kid. It really is a shame that the boat was not saved, and it is a shocker that the Miss New York restaurant sank!

Here is an article from the Staten Island Advance-apparantly the Mary Murray's owner passed away the same time the final pieces were being scrapped and hauled away.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/...ten_island.html

An unfortunate end to a search, but a thread with some very interesting reading (not to mention haunting photos of decaying ferries).

I'd like to go on a little tangent here though if I may. By coincidence, Jason started this thread just a couple of days after I had watched the pilot episode of the TV series "The Equalizer" o DVD. In that episode Robert McCall (The Equalizer) arranges to meet some bad guys on what he refers to as a "derelict ferry" at 10th Street (I believe). The scene actually does take place on a ferry. It doesn't appear particularly "derelict" or anything though.

After reading Jason's post I was wondering what ferry I had seen in that episode. While creative license can cause any number of inaccuracies in the information given in the show, the scene in question definitely took place on a ferry, and the show was actually filmed in NYC so one would assume that the ferry was a Staten Island ferry. The show premiered in September of 1985, so figuring that it was filmed at least a few months earlier I was thinking...maybe the scene was actually filmed on the Mary Murray! Figuring that she was only a few years out of service and had only been tied up (to eventually decompose and die a slow death) for a few years, she was probably still in pretty good shape at the time, physically. It would seem like the perfect opportunity to make use of an actual "derelict ferry".

I searched online to find any mention of what ferry was used in the episode, to no effect. There were references to the fact that McCall met the bad guys on a derelict ferry, but nothing further. Wikipedia even has a section on its Staten Island Ferry page detailing the ferries' appearances in movies and TV shows--nothing there either.

Finally I decided to watch the scene again to look for more clues. Armed with the information I had found (or not found for that matter) up to that point I noticed a few things I hadn't on the first viewing. The ship appeared to be in VERY good condition for a derelict vessel. It also appears to be filmed at the Staten Island ferry terminal at the southern tip of Manhattan (judging by the distinctive docking arch structures), not at some remote place where a derelict ferry would be tied up. AND another ferry clearly passes by while McCall is fighting with one of the bad guys on the deck. The last piece of the puzzle finally fell into place when I saw part of the name of the Ferry on the bridge as the action unfolded--"???rt H. Lehman". A little further search revealed that the "derelict ferry" was in fact the Gov. Herbert H. Lehman, an active ferry at the time that wasn't decommisioned until 2007! Mystery solved.

Thanks Jason for inspiring me to figure this little puzzle out rather than simply leaving it and not knowing...

An unfortunate end to a search, but a thread with some very interesting reading (not to mention haunting photos of decaying ferries).

I'd like to go on a little tangent here though if I may. By coincidence, Jason started this thread just a couple of days after I had watched the pilot episode of the TV series "The Equalizer" o DVD. In that episode Robert McCall (The Equalizer) arranges to meet some bad guys on what he refers to as a "derelict ferry" at 10th Street (I believe). The scene actually does take place on a ferry. It doesn't appear particularly "derelict" or anything though.

After reading Jason's post I was wondering what ferry I had seen in that episode. While creative license can cause any number of inaccuracies in the information given in the show, the scene in question definitely took place on a ferry, and the show was actually filmed in NYC so one would assume that the ferry was a Staten Island ferry. The show premiered in September of 1985, so figuring that it was filmed at least a few months earlier I was thinking...maybe the scene was actually filmed on the Mary Murray! Figuring that she was only a few years out of service and had only been tied up (to eventually decompose and die a slow death) for a few years, she was probably still in pretty good shape at the time, physically. It would seem like the perfect opportunity to make use of an actual "derelict ferry".

I searched online to find any mention of what ferry was used in the episode, to no effect. There were references to the fact that McCall met the bad guys on a derelict ferry, but nothing further. Wikipedia even has a section on its Staten Island Ferry page detailing the ferries' appearances in movies and TV shows--nothing there either.

Finally I decided to watch the scene again to look for more clues. Armed with the information I had found (or not found for that matter) up to that point I noticed a few things I hadn't on the first viewing. The ship appeared to be in VERY good condition for a derelict vessel. It also appears to be filmed at the Staten Island ferry terminal at the southern tip of Manhattan (judging by the distinctive docking arch structures), not at some remote place where a derelict ferry would be tied up. AND another ferry clearly passes by while McCall is fighting with one of the bad guys on the deck. The last piece of the puzzle finally fell into place when I saw part of the name of the Ferry on the bridge as the action unfolded--"???rt H. Lehman". A little further search revealed that the "derelict ferry" was in fact the Gov. Herbert H. Lehman, an active ferry at the time that wasn't decommisioned until 2007! Mystery solved.

Thanks Jason for inspiring me to figure this little puzzle out rather than simply leaving it and not knowing...

Interesting story! I thought you were going to say it was the "Verazanno", which was decomissioned in the early 80's when the Barberi and Newhouse came into service, and sat derilect on the ferry maintenence pier for almost 20 years. The Verazanno was from the class of ferryboats that came right after the Mary Murry, (early 1950's)and right before the Lehman. The 2 sister ships to the Verazanno, the Cornelius Kolph and the Joseph Merril, were brought to Rikers Island and served as prison annexes for decades. They were only scrapped recently, along with the derelict Verazanno.

The Lehman, I remember riding on frequently. It was a Kennedy Class ferryboat, and came into service in 1964. Today, the John F. Kennedy is the only survivor from that fleet, the Lehman and the American Legion are gone.

Here is a nice gallery of Mary Murray pictures...http://www.silive.com/news/advance/photos/...y.ata?g_id=5066

Hi, If anyone is interested in the old Staten Island Ferryboats drop me a line at islandersb at aol dot com and I'd be glad to share them with you. They are all color shots taken in the 1950's and even one color shot taken during World War II when she was relegated to battleship gray due to paint rationing and harbor safety concerns.

Thanks,

John from Bay Ridge, Brooklyn

Oh well I tried. I thought since I saw a post here about the old SI Ferryboats Miss New York and Mary Murray that someone would like to see some really nice photos of them in their earlier days. Take care everyone.

I'd love to see the pics. Can you post them here please?

A lot of people who previously posted in this thread I know are no longer active or as active on the board and will not see your offer.

Bill, that new terminal is swank!

I rode those boats when they made some horrorshow slams into those pilings. I always saw it as a highly cost effective boat ride. To lots of folks it's a mere commute and probably would not notice.

Pre 9-11, one of the best views of the city was that jumble of buildings stuck like a fistful of darts into the bull's eye tip of Manhattan, as seen from the bay. Haven't been aboard since the new tower went up.

I joined this group specifically so I could know if you found the Miss New York. I was a waitress the one summer it was in Bridgeport. I started in the Spring of 1982, I think it was. We all had to wear sailor uniforms, and worked in teams. It was a bit of a disaster, as the kitchen really wasn't set up to accommodate the size of the dining room. I remember being called into work last minute one night because the Governor was coming to dinner, and they had all the extra staff in uniform saluting as he walked in. It was a great venue though. Would love to know what happened, but the rumor we heard was the Greek family that owned it ran into tax problems and towed it away (to New Jersey?) in the middle of the night.

Yes, Meg, the story we're hearing is that down in New Jersey it sank after the hull was punctured by winter ice, and rather than attempt [probably very expensive] repairs, they scrapped it.