Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FutureBoy

Ssangyong Pavilion Concept Art

12 posts in this topic

I recently acquired this beautiful piece of concept art for the Ssangyong pavilion at the Expo '93 in Taejon. It was painted by artist Eric Heschong. I don't know much about the pavilion itself, but I believe it housed a motion simulator of some sort. Hope you enjoy it!

post-4386-1239784074_thumb.jpg

Very nice. Do you have a picture of the finished product?

Bill

It looks as if the whole Expo grounds were preserved. Amazing.

This picture was taken in October 2006.

The yellow circle plots the Ssangyong pavilion mentioned above.

post-57-1239826482_thumb.jpg

Yeah, the majority of it appears to still be there - just as it was from '93 (albeit with a little wear and tear.) It now operates under the name Expo Park and still has a few of the pavilions up and running. I've become very interested in another one of them in particular called StarQuest which was operated by Samsung during the Expo '93. It was also a motion simulator, which if you remember, was all the rage back in 1993 and the years prior.

I've uploaded some of the concept art for that one (also by Eric Heschong) along with a photo of what the pavilion actually looks like today to my site. You can see it here:

http://thefutureview.ning.com/photo/albums...ion-dajeon-expo

If you're a member of MouseBits.com, someone was kind enough to upload the entire soundtrack in FLAC format. It's very well done!!!

That pavilion is going to look awesome in Gary Holmes' back yard someday!

Here's a thread about the saga of Gary rescuing a skylight from the 1964 Christian Science Church pavilion. Unfortunately, the photo links have been lost. Maybe Gary will upload a few again for us.

Gary Holmes moves 1964 pavilion to his back yard....

Hi Doug, just saw this note! The C.S. Pav skylight rebuilding is still aborning (all due to a series of delays and problems, some relating to the piece itself , some relating to workman delays, some relating to personal probs - well not probs really - probs with time and WAY too much on my 'to do' plate), although it will be up and lit sooner than later. I was hoping for last summer, but now am hoping by fall, before the snow flies. Will put pics back on the C.S. Pavilion thread and certainly will keep PTUers abreast of news and pics when the rebuilding happens. And remember, Doug, this is the 40th Anniversary of Woodstock!

post-4386-1239784074_thumb.jpg

The Fountain to the left of the pavilion bears a strong resemblance to the Spiral fountain of the 1939-40 NYWF. What ever happened to that anyway? I doubt anyone'd just scrap it?

My name is Bob Dennis and I was the Senior Art Director for Landmark Entertainment Group at Expo 93. Yes the painting is by Eric Heschong but not the design. We did two pavilions, Samsung's StarQuest Pavilion and Ssangyong. Greg Damron designed Ssangyong and Charles Cancilier designed Starquest. The motion simulator was x4 in the StarQuest attraction not The one pictured. That was a theater with nature theme. Eric also painted the concept paintings for StarQuest Building art directed by Kathy Kimball. Eric was one illustrator working with a hugely talented group of designers and artists. Those were heady days. I was Project Art Director for StarQuest Pavilion. I hope that clears it all up.

Thanks for the info, Bob, and welcome! What other projects have you worked on?

Before Expo 93 I directed the construction of Harmonyland Theme Park in Japan, I also directed the design and construction of Enchanted Kingdom Theme Park in the Philippines, I was creative director for Paramount Parks, and I also art directed a portion of Universal Studios Japan. Currently I am developing HyperTheater technology for the theaters of tomorrow soon to be at an EXPO near you. HyperTheaters use both digital and mechanical means to create a fully immersive experience. You are not required to interact but you can't help but being involved.

Sounds like an exciting career, Bob. Please keep us posted in your projects.

I only wish there was "an Expo near you"...