Joey Chernov

Pics for Virtual Reconstruction

Here are some pics of Paul's newest project, the New York City Building. He also redesigned his sim in order to fit this in. Currently, space in both structures are being leased out as meeting rooms for third parties.Let it be noted too, that this copy of the Theme Centre and the NYC building are to showcase the actual reconstructed fair. The counterparts in the fair itself will be more detailed, and WONT be used for meetings. FYI - not all the textures were loaded when I took these pics, so some surfaces may appear fuzzy or hazy.

post-4303-125061310938_thumb.png

post-4303-125061307677_thumb.png

post-4303-125061288061_thumb.png

For now, they just connect the two sims together, but the structure on the centre bridge is a segment of the covered walkway and lights on the boardwalk from the main gate to the parking lot. These are Introductory Sims at the moment - keep in mind this is not part of the fair itself. As it stands, we have not yet purchased the four sims its needed to house the Theme Center and NYC building - but they are the next on our list once were done with the four were working on now. Were running out of volunteers and time to work on the project.

Heres early Halloween wishes to everyone from all of us on the Reconstruction Project!! I will keep it up until around 1st November (Yes I am aware it was only shown one day, but since we only get one or two visitors a day I thought a little extra time would not hurt)

post-4303-125625591015_thumb.png

Hi Joey,

That was inded most thoughtful. I post a new photo in my collection. This lighting scheme was actually used from October 28-31, 1939. The photo is a glossy 8x10, Ex-Warner collection, that shows the test of this projection. The reverse is signed several times by Warner and has repro marks from when it was used for the 1979/80 QM Show "Dawn of a New Day" - it is reproduced in the catalog larger than the original print and takes up a whole page.

OCT28.jpg

Happy Halloween everyone :)

Best wishes,

MB

Hi Afikoman,

This is one of the threads about Reaction Grid. I just waded through it and saw the things I was blasting about have now been either corrected or added as most were missing in the first place (.25 for You World of Tomorrow (T&P program cost omission) etc.). The credit problems remain though.

Best,

Eric

Hi All,

From the Van Dort site :

"Admission to the exhibit was 25¢, I am not certain if the 24-page brochure explaining how the community would be designed was included with the cost of admission or was sold separately. However, today the booklet is rather hard to find."

I have been advocating the use of the simple guidebook for years where you can read about this program and the other books offered. This was part of the "book program" of the fair and was sold separately. I believe you could even order it through the mail

I was mistaken before myself. Much remains uncorrected at this site. Much wrong information. I am seeing so much repeated incorrect data I now recall why I did not assist them to the degree requested in the first place. It is perfectly possible to go above and beyond the call in research and materials and still have inaccurate misinformed garbage published, I know, believe me, but this does not appear to be the case here.

How do you write all that about the New York City Building including after the fair and never mention the U.N.? On and on. "Steinetz Hall" remains. 2011 and the Heinz dome with Goddess of Perfection has stumped them until this year?? GM booklet 1939? Nope - look at the date in the book. Ponce statue in Florida only just identified? It is in the guidebook I believe as well as the Applebaum. Weren't the first View Master reels gold and quite memorable in appearance, not the later buff? Ugh.....on and on. These mistakes will cause others and perpetuate yet more.

Eric

Did the Trylon really sit "behind" the Peri like that, and in front of the NYCP? I thought it sat with the Trylon to the right, or closer to where, today, the NYSP sits....

Did the Trylon really sit "behind" the Peri like that, and in front of the NYCP? I thought it sat with the Trylon to the right, or closer to where, today, the NYSP sits....

Hi there :)

You are speaking of the layout in the Reaction Grid? I suggested the layout reflect reality but that was not feasible it seems. As I have already posted my own obituary, I thought it would be fun to contradict myself (deliberately this time ;) ) and post a huge construction image. :) This image is from a slide I have and should answer your question re placement of Trylon. Enjoy!!

A fun thing would be to list all the stuff that indicates this is construction. It is quickly identified as not being demolition (the place is a mess) by the color of the Gas Pylons (red in 1940), or the lack of the Goddess of Perfection on Heinz etc..

For starters:

No Astronomer

No Washington

No Moods of Time

Only 1 Freedom

No Crosley Building

No GE Lightning Bolt

No plane(s) in front of the Aviation Building

The Four Elements are covered in scaffolding

Various fountains and reflecting pools are empty

?

?

?

and so on....

a few sculptures in the Transportation area are missing...Perylon Hall mural incomplete...I believe it was around this time the Glass Building went up in flames...

Best wishes,

Eric

post-434-0-81630200-1316064770_thumb.jpg

Ah, gotcha. Thanks. Knew it looked off. (And still very impressive... )

Ah, gotcha. Thanks. Knew it looked off. (And still very impressive... )

Hi Epcot,

Perhaps at a glance, but there are some literally huge errors that remain. The Helicline is too short and ends in the wrong spot. The forward base of the Observation Bridge, which is very much the wrong shape, is about 30 feet off the mark as well. Our gifted member Lemog has produced something as well which conveys a more accurate impression - follow this thread to the end. Every time I look I am amazed. And, look at the dates. It seems Lemog did this in a month or so! So, reasonable accuracy can be achieved:

Lemog's BIE T&P Project

Best,

Eric

FYI - Heres a simple model of the T&P I did with SketchUp a few years ago.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=d3b347d34367f0d324eefd10e61c620&prevstart=0

Nowhere near the level of detail that Lemogs model has, but if you open it up in Google Earth, you can see how its original location relates to the park today...

post-387-0-57833200-1316109889_thumb.jpg

FYI - Here’s a simple model of the T&P I did with SketchUp a few years ago.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=d3b347d34367f0d324eefd10e61c620&prevstart=0

Nowhere near the level of detail that Lemog’s model has, but if you open it up in Google Earth, you can see how it’s original location relates to the park today...

post-387-0-57833200-1316109889_thumb.jpg

Hi :)

That looks really good! Well done. Did you post that here before? I don't recall seeing it. You sailed right past the part that has caused at least 2 other models trouble :) Only small suggestions I have.

Thanks for posting it! Nice to see it in today's park. It is tremendous!

Eric

Hi Epcot,

Perhaps at a glance, but there are some literally huge errors that remain. The Helicline is too short and ends in the wrong spot. The forward base of the Observation Bridge, which is very much the wrong shape, is about 30 feet off the mark as well. Our gifted member Lemog has produced something as well which conveys a more accurate impression - follow this thread to the end. Every time I look I am amazed. And, look at the dates. It seems Lemog did this in a month or so! So, reasonable accuracy can be achieved:

Lemog's BIE T&P Project

Best,

Eric

That's AMAZING. Very professional.

I've distanced myself from the reconstruction project due to my personal life becoming much busier, but from time to time I'll have communication with Paul. He, like the others on the project, have been so overwhelmed in our proper lives that we simply do not have time for the Fair Project, website, or other extra things. if it's any consolation, I've noticed many errors in many places, but there just is not time to go in and correct them. However, it has been noted and corrected every time I verbally or physically describe/show someone the fair. Maybe one of these days we will have enough time to correct the numerous errors that remain. I, for one, am not able to do so, with a heavy college load and the like, partly causing my many-month absence from this site.

Here's a view of the exit steps from the Perisphere:

39-exiting-perisphere.jpg

A few comments based on that.

1) It looks like your image is reversed. I don't think mine was reversed but will check it again as soon as I can pull the full-size image.

2) The steps entered onto a much wider platform than what is shown in your image. There should be a walkway area on either side of the steps.

Hi Bill,

I want to thank you for posting this. I know it is in the book I helped with but that super volume is under glass blocks and stupid paperwork from that affair. I really needed to see this exact photo - and here it is. I have located an 8x10 of an "EXIT" sign ...there is a vertical divider - a sort of door frame with a certain odd pointy curve and a dark trim kickguard at the bottom. Some folks in the wind holding hats. See extreme right of your photo...on the edge. ;) This new 8x10 is the only image I have even see ONE of in 23 years apart from other things like tinted or unusual stuff which is often so specific as to be useless. Yours, very very scarce, is looking back to Perisphere before entering the Trylon again. Mine is looking out towards the Helicline from INSIDE the Trylon. Will post a scan soon!!!!! I am taking the liberty I rarely take and using your image to show what mine is - I hope you do pot mind Bill. See new post!!!

Best wishes,

Eric