Bill Cotter

Who are these people?

If you were on the way to the Canada Pavilion at Expo 86, and got off at the SkyTrain station, you would have seen this display:

expo86-who.jpg

Does anyone know who any of these people were? I mean the ones in the red shirts - I know Mao is on the back wall but have no idea why!

Well, the third one behind "James Dean" might be Bobby Orr. They certainly must all be Canadian celebs or historically significant folk from the great white north.

The fellow on the motorcycle is musician Corey Hart. Obviously they're all Canadians. Mao might be part of an advertisement on the back wall for something else.

Even one name is a help - thanks! I thought Mao might be part of some guerilla art or protest. If anyone comes up with more names please shout.

Sitting front right is Dr David Suzuki?

Hockey Player far right is Wayne Gretzky?

Far left is Christopher Plummer.

I reckon these three are correct.

However,

The more I look at it though, the more I think they are not all Canuks.

Forward and left of Mao looks like Roman Polanski!

The fellow on Gretzkys shoulder looks like Olympic Decathlete Bruce Jenner.

The chap two back from Plummer looks like Roger Daltry.

The fellow 4th from left with the big beard looks Russian or Eastern European.

Quite the mystery. I know that's not Christopher Plummer from the full-size image, but I don't know he is instead. It would have been nice if they had put names on it. I just got in touch with some of the former senior Expo staff - let's hope they know.

Quite the mystery. I know that's not Christopher Plummer from the full-size image, but I don't know he is instead. It would have been nice if they had put names on it. I just got in touch with some of the former senior Expo staff - let's hope they know.

Really? I would have put money on it!

But, that said, he probably wasnt as gray haired 23 years ago!

Yeah, it's funny that they just assumed that everyone would know who these people were without putting their names on them. True, some are very obvious--and were probably even more obvious to the general population in the mid-80s (Corey Hart for example), but still...

The guy to the left of Corey Hart (who I also thought was James Dean at first--even though it would have been a huge surprise to find out that he was a Canuck!) in the flannel shirt appears to be Bryan Adams (of "Summer of '69" and "Heaven" fame).

It's a bit of a surprise to NOT see William Shatner in there somewhere (unless he's hiding behind someone else or I just can't make him out), considering that they were still making original cast "Star Trek" movies at that time and he was starring in T.J. Hooker.