bagels

the collection or landfill room

Thanks a lot, Bunny! Look forward to seeing your postcards!

Mary Ellen-- the model was a present for my wife a few years ago (we're both T&P nuts) and was made by PTU's famed and favorite modeler Rob Bianco. After all the amazing 64-65 NYWF models he's painstakingly constructed, this was his first T&P-- and it still brings a smile to my face every day. :)

I just remembered that I posted pictures of my collection WAYYY back in 2005 when i first joined this board! So, for now, here are some pictures of my collection... there is SO much more than what is here now, but you get the idea of what I had back then.

122_2238.jpg

122_2242.jpg

Wow... my shelves used to be so "uncluttered!"

Up to date pictures to be posted in a week, i promise :D

Nice collection, Jess.

What's the item in the box on the top shelf in the first photo?

And the DVD case thing on the bottom shelf in the bottom photo?

the item in the box is a bunch of NYWF ivory colored toothpicks (or food picks, whatever you call them haha). unfortunately the box is in cruddy condition, and the plastic container that they should be in is not in the box either... so all it is is a bunch of ivory colored toothpicks with the unisphere on them.

the dvd is a documentary that aired on PBS (i believe)... its a great little video, and the only "documentary" that i had before Curtis and Terry's amazing movie :D It's called : The 1964 NY World's Fair: Relive the Wonder. I cannot remember who made it or when it came out, but I have had it for a long while... maybe since 2003 or 2004.

Totally L-O-V-E the way you have the tickets framed. Very cool.

Here are some pictures of my landfill. I also have two large totes filled, but have limited space. Enjoy

Margaret

post-3631-1236555255_thumb.jpgpost-3631-1236555325_thumb.jpgpost-3631-1236555357_thumb.jpg[atta

chment=3016:023.JPG]post-3631-1236555474_thumb.jpgpost-3631-1236555507_thumb.jpg[attachment

=3019:026.JPG]post-3631-1236555573_thumb.jpgpost-3631-1236555607_thumb.jpgpost-3631-1236555647_thumb.jpgpost-3631-1236555701_thumb.jpgpost-3631-1236555734_thumb.jpgpost-3631-1236555767_thumb.jpgpost-3631-1236555805_thumb.jpg

post-3631-1236556249_thumb.jpgpost-3631-1236555607_thumb.jpgpost-3631-1236555407_thumb.jpg[atta

chment=3022:029.JPG]post-3631-1236557198_thumb.jpg

post-3631-1236555442_thumb.jpg

post-3631-1236555541_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for posting pics of your collections. My stuff is not organized as nicely as yours is so I need to get cracking, I guess!

John

Great collection Margaret!

Curious, what is this? I've not seen one before. Got a spare by any chance? :)

post-1405-1236560348_thumb.jpg

Very nice, Margit. Have you tried the perfume? I hate to imagine what that must be like after 75 years. I really liked the 1939 beer stein.

I used to live near you, over in Watervliet. I hope winter hasn't been too tough!

Yes Jess, we have been talking about getting a better set up for your collection.Dad and I found some cool cabinets but we won't buy anything without your approval. You know how particular I am about housing my PEZ collection. ;)

Molasses, thanks for noticing her tickets. I bought her the children's ticket first, and wanted to frame it but wanted it to be viewable front and back. I found that awesome frame at Linens N Things ( r.i.p.) and thought it would be cool since the ticket floated btwn two pieces of glass. Then I got her the adult ticket many months later and panicked but went back to LNT and found another one in the clearance section. WOW was I lucky. We went to the Antiques Roadshow years back and she brought them to share. The appraiser told her they were awesomely framed. :D

Jess don't read this part : I have another frame that is similar but not as cool in case there is ever anything awesome to add to Bunny's collection.I should have bought all the rest of that other one when they were in clearance. But that was in 2001 or 2002 and we weren't as saavy as we are now that we have all you PTU'rs as friends!!

Meanwhile you all have outstanding collections and many innovative and beautiful ways to display them. Thanks for sharing!!

/ Nancy

What a FUN thread~! Most of mine is packed away....my collection varies from many fairs (1939 NY being my favorite). And soon Trey, I'll have my T&P model too! I def will take pictures when I get it.

For my next model, I would really like one of the 1982 Knoxville U.S. Pavilion. I always loved that building.

Thanks to all who posted pics to create a very enjoyable thread here.

I'll have to go back and look some more!!

Jim

Great collections, Bunny & Margaret! I noticed those ticket frames right away as well, Molasses! Very cool. And Margaret, I love that photo of the train beside the T&P. Beautiful. Look forward to seeing you guys' stuff as well, Jim and John.

Hey-- speaking of tickets-- does anybody know of any good sources if I wanted to one day showcase my World's Fair & Expo ticket collection in some kind of leather bound archival books? I've seen similar books devoted to collectible currency in the past-- but don't know where to look for such custom creations.

Aside from the souveniers available for purchase at many of the pavillion gift shops, does anyone have actual fragments of the buildings themselves?

Now THAT would be my idea of a collection!

I have a fist sized chunk of concrete from the top of one of the NYSP columns. I picked it up off the ground about 4 years ago. I snapped a photo of the location I think it fell from. I know where the chunk is but the photo will take some searching. Near the base of the towers I picked up a large piece of the kalwall roof and near the tennis center a broken fiberglass slat from a bench. All meaningless junk to most and destined for the trash but it means something to me.

When I found the roof section and bench piece there were Parks Dept employees around. I told them where I found them and asked if I could have them. They looked at me like I was nuts for even asking.

Great collection Margaret!

Curious, what is this? I've not seen one before. Got a spare by any chance? :)

post-1405-1236560348_thumb.jpg

This is a sugar packet from Borden's Dairy World of Tomorrow. The sugar is still in it. I don't have a spare, but I will keep my eye out for one for you in my antique travels.

Hey, Marg and Trey, are those bridge tables you have hanging on your walls? (The dark, wood grain square with the T&P)

Very nice, Margit. Have you tried the perfume? I hate to imagine what that must be like after 75 years. I really liked the 1939 beer stein.

I used to live near you, over in Watervliet. I hope winter hasn't been too tough!

Never opened the perfume, it's still selaed. The beer stein is one of my favorites along with the 1939 enamel top table.

Winter was horrible here in upstate NY. Lots of ice that destroyed the trees. How long did you live in Watervliet?

Hey, Marg and Trey, are those bridge tables you have hanging on your walls? (The dark, wood grain square with the T&P)

Hi Doug, it's a card table of some sort. I also have a blue card tablecloth that goes over it.

Beautiful stuff Margitradley! Thank you for sharing. The Heiniken stein definitely stands out. And, obviously the enamel top table is a genuine treasure. Now that I've seen both your and Trey's T&P card tables on your walls I might have to consider pulling mine out of the attic and hanging it too!

I also see you have your Mets giveaway replica jersey (discussed in another thread) proudly displayed along with the rest of your memorabilia.

Beautiful stuff Margitradley! Thank you for sharing. The Heiniken stein definitely stands out. And, obviously the enamel top table is a genuine treasure. Now that I've seen both your and Trey's T&P card tables on your walls I might have to consider pulling mine out of the attic and hanging it too!

I also see you have your Mets giveaway replica jersey (discussed in another thread) proudly displayed along with the rest of your memorabilia.

Thanks Glen, I have been collecting since I was in high school. Back then stuff was hard to find. I am proud to say that 99% of the things I have were not purchased on ebay. Don't get me wrong I love ebay, but it took some of the excitement out of finding things.

My family have been life long Met fans. We were all born in Queens.

Margaret

I am proud to say that 99% of the things I have were not purchased on ebay. Don't get me wrong I love ebay, but it took some of the excitement out of finding things.

That is great Margaret. It does mean more that you had to actually hunt down all the stuff. I only got into World's Fairs within the past decade or so, and I live in Massachusetts, so I would have to say that probably close to 90% of my collection IS from eBay. Like you said, it's a great resource, but it would be nice to be able to purchase more of it first hand and really experience the hunt. I enjoy searching at antique stores and flea markets (especially Brimfield) for landfill, but it's such a specialized niche that you never know what, if anything, you'll find (which of course is part of the fun too!).

That is great Margaret. It does mean more that you had to actually hunt down all the stuff. I only got into World's Fairs within the past decade or so, and I live in Massachusetts, so I would have to say that probably close to 90% of my collection IS from eBay. Like you said, it's a great resource, but it would be nice to be able to purchase more of it first hand and really experience the hunt. I enjoy searching at antique stores and flea markets (especially Brimfield) for landfill, but it's such a specialized niche that you never know what, if anything, you'll find (which of course is part of the fun too!).

Glen, I live in upstate NY and go to Brimfield every year in May!!!! I love it there. We usually leave on Friday morning and come home late Saturday evening. Always rains too, but who cares. That's where I purchased my enamel top table from the 1939 fair. It's always a great time.

Margaret- nice display. Do you love this stuff or do you LOVE this stuff! I love this stuff...

P.S. Mostly ebay for my collection. Most flea markets have closed up over the years and the existing usually have a few common items for too much $$. There's a decent one in Stormville NY several times over the summer but Brimfield is the best.

Margaret- nice display. Do you love this stuff or do you LOVE this stuff! I love this stuff...

P.S. Mostly ebay for my collection. Most flea markets have closed up over the years and the existing usually have a few common items for too much $$. There's a decent one in Stormville NY several times over the summer but Brimfield is the best.

Thanks, I wish I had more room to display the rest of my things and YES, ILOVE THIS STUFF!! I haven't been to Stormville in years. Is it worth checking out?