waynebretl

Spruce it up with paint - and haul out that trash!

Why Gas Energy ad - 8 pages NYWF examples aimed at architects/construction

Why Gas Energy ad.pdf

Schrafft's Walking Guide (to Manhattan , not the Fair) - "a special service from Schrafft's for World's Fair Visitors"

Schraffts walking guide.pdf

Kodak "Fair times" tie-in ad

I see that people had already identified the 'tire eating dinosaur' opportunity in the summer of 1964, and labeled it as such.

Kodak "Fair times" tie-in ad

A great color photo opportunity like a Belgian Waffle with red strawberries on it, and Kodak goes with a hot dog instead? What could they have been thinking! :blink:

Spanish Pavilion - Medusa Cement ad

And those panels appear to have held up quite well in the post-Fair move to St. Louis, and all the decades since. No cracks that I could see in my visits when I've done a walk-around. The only modifications that I could see were the addition of anti-birdnest spikes on the top of the panels. I have photos of those spikes.

100_0253.JPG

Denmark - Koppers company ad

Nice interior view. A little bit more revealing than the similar Denmark Pavilion postcard view. This one shows an exhibit of a hand-cranked mimeographed machine. Remember those? Every school in America had them. And talk about ink all over your hands! hahahaha

Why Gas Energy ad - 8 pages NYWF examples aimed at architects/construction

I always look at newly discovered pamphlets like these to see if the pictures reveal anything we haven't seen or noticed before.

That first picture of the patio tables at the Morocco Pavilion (although not advertised as such) looks nice--- a great inlaid/mosaic pattern in the tables that is clearly a Moroccan look.

Of course I'd want to restore the full color to the picture. Something like this. :P

Gas_2.jpg

Is that a large-scale model of an SST in the window of the T&T Pavilion? If so, that's a new discovery.

Gas_1.jpg

That SST has me stumped- I just had to go back and look at T&T Pavilion photos. It now looks like TWA had exhibit space in BOTH corners of the building facing GM- one on the corner nearest Greyhound (and we have an interior photo of that exhibit space), and another in the corner nearest the bridge over the GCP.

But a TWA SST? I'm still looking.

Apparently TWA ordered six Concordes in 1965, orders later cancelled. Here is what it would have looked like.

twa.gif

Early TWA had placed informal commitments to a Lockheed SST. Here is what that might have looked like.

L2000SST_TWAStarstream.jpg

738-img_0773.jpg

But the one we see in the T&T window looks like it has rear engines, something like we saw in some of the Boeing designs:

DSC01500.jpg

Seven up - 3 million served ad

Thanks for that, Wayne!

I have a couple of those dolls in the mailer boxes, but never knew the details of the program.

I thought they were available for purchase through a Fair sign-up, but now I see they were prizes

for a lucky recipient. Nice!

But the one we see in the T&T window looks like it has rear engines, something like we saw in some of the Boeing designs:

http://i38.photobuck...ls/DSC01500.jpg

Here's an extreme blowup of the window.

post-419-12733765574_thumb.jpg

From April 1964 the Moroccan Pavilion, shortly after the fair opened, with some landscaping in progress still evident. Great looking gift shop - American Express accepted (not sure about the other card), Lamb and Beef on the menu for $1.00? :

861847932_kBr2U-L.jpg

861848002_Azrej-L.jpg

861848164_6bo9d-L.jpg

The $1.00 was for a Kafta Steak shishkabob sandwich.

You could also get a hamburger for 50 cents, or a hot dog for 40 cents.

(from an October '64 photo)

The prices remained the same in '65 photos.

Mike Kraus, your picture T10P56 might reveal the other credit card decal if you zoom in.

That TWA SST discovery is very cool!

Funny... now almost 50 years later and we really aren't much closer to supersonic travel for the general public than we were then. The Concorde came and went, and now air travel is pretty much back to where we were in 1958, except without the comfort, polite people, complimentary mini travel bag or meals.

The Boeing 707 was introduced in 1958 it flew 147 passengers at around 500 mph. That's almost EXACTLY the same specs as a typical flight from Boston to Florida today.

The Concorde came and went, and now air travel is pretty much back to where we were in 1958, except without the comfort, polite people, complimentary mini travel bag or meals.

You still get a complimentary barf bag. :rolleyes:

The Boeing 707 was introduced in 1958 it flew 147 passengers at around 500 mph. That's almost EXACTLY the same specs as a typical flight from Boston to Florida today.

About the only difference is that the '58 707 probably used a lot more fuel.

According to Wikipedia, Between 1960 and 2000 there was a 55% overall fuel efficiency gain (if one were to exclude the inefficient and limited fleet of the DH Comet 4 and to consider the Boeing 707 as the base case).

Fly Delta Jets to New York and the World's Fair --

I especially like the info on p.2 (of this pdf):

Parking costs up to $6:00/Day!

Free food and no tipping on board!

Is that a 707 interior with the fabric window curtains?

deltajets.pdf

"40 pounds of luggage free."

Boy, those were the days.

All the airplane photos are of DC-8's. Delta was a major customer for Douglas Aircraft, and was the first airline to launch DC-8 passenger service in 1959.

American Arilines single-fold with stylized Unisphere and approximate NYWF colors

AAbestbuytours.pdf