Sign in to follow this  
Randy Treadway

World's Fair architecture where you'd least expect it

This made me think a bit more. If one thinks about it, most banks--especially in downtown areas--were built to reflect security, strength, importance (with columns, domes, porticoes etc.). The idea of a bank with a resemblance to a beach ball makes no sense to me.

There was a book called "The Bank Shot" by Donald Westlake (made into a horrible film with George C. Scott) where the thieves make off with an entire bank branch so they can loot it at leisure. In that case it was a temporary branch in a trailer and they towed it away. This one they could have just rolled downhill.

Indeed.

The town next to mine, Freeport, had a circular bank full of glass walls, making it really stand out in the middle of Long Island. My mom's son got a college loan there, and about two years later decided to join the Coast Guard instead. He and his mom went to the bank to pay off the loan before he left for the service. They couldn't find a record of it and asked where he had filed the paperwork. He told them it was right there and they asked if he was sure it was that branch. Like anyone could mistake that branch for any other one. It's still there - ans still the only circular glass walled building I can think of on Long Island.

I don't think he ever did have to pay off that loan. When it came time for my daughter to get a loan for law school I was tempted to head back to Freeport and ask them for the money.

We also had one of those space ship buildings in Adelaide. It moved to various blocks of land in the 70s before finding its way to the coast as a holiday home.

Here is a pic of it when it was on the city fringe.

Sapceship house

I am glad the postcards of the Glass House restaurants I posted were of use! Just now noticed this forum and the post!

The Glass House Restaurants were a chain. Vinita (the overpass) was their biggest. I am still trying to find information on when it went out of business.

http://www.flickr.co...ace/3325849190/

http://www.flickr.co...ace/4259217531/