The most memorable feature of the exhibition site was the statue Worker and Kolkhoz Woman (Rabochiy i Kolkhoznitsa), featuring the gigantic figures of a man and woman holding together the famous "hammer and sickle". The sculpture, which reaches 25 meters toward the sky, was created by Vera Mukhina and originally crowned the 35-meter-tall Soviet pavilion at the Exposition Internationale des Arts et Techniques dans la Vie Moderne (1937).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Russia_Ex...1959_Renovation

See 2006 photographs of what's left:

http://community.livejournal.com/ru_sovarc...556.html#cutid1

Great stuff. Thanks for posting. :)

These are absolutely remarkable photographs. THANK YOU for posting the images of the statue as it looks today. Is it undergoing renovation or is being dismantled? I cannot quite determine this.

Jim

To continue a little with this topic of soviet pavilion and statues...

was found in 2004, near Paris at Baillet-en-France, where was a castle (destructed in 80') in a big hole in the ground (old part of castle under the ground to preserve winter ice... don't know the real name in english)... an impressive accumulation of many sculpted pieces in concrete, broken statues (from 2,4 to 3 meters height), heads, members, trunks, medallions...

and these pieces comes from the soviet buildings of the 1937 world's fair (created by Joseph Tchaïkov)

But it's only at the end of april 2009 that these concrete parts were left this hole... (I was here... a great moment you know :mellow:

...40 pallets of broken pieces were recovered.

These statues were discovered by Mr. François Gentili of INRAP (preventive archaeological research).

I hope that soon, we will be able to discover these reconstituted statues.

Few pics...

Enter of the hole, the hole almost empty

some broken parts :

post-4500-12454501784_thumb.jpg

Soviet pavilion and statues :

post-4500-124545018142_thumb.jpg

The Wall Street Journal had an article abut this about two weeks ag. I forgot to mention it then. It might be on their web site. It was very interesting.

Yes Bill, from 2004 at the beginning of 2009, the discovery was secret to limit the theft risk...

but now that all the pieces were left, it's necessary to find the financing to be able to restore them and restick all these pieces...

there thus was enormously communication and of publicity since.

I hope to be soon invited to discover these pieces replaced at the good places... and especially to take good shots.

While waiting, a couple of head I really like :

post-4500-124550670459_thumb.jpg

post-4500-124550670231_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the postcard Randy, of course, it's the good sculpted group, I don't know this type of card before, do you know the editor ?

I will show this card to a friend specialized about expo 1937 postcard... a guy who wrote a very insteresting book about these card of the Paris 1937 world's faire, Pascal Pivard.

post-4500-124550695713_thumb.jpg

I'm actually trying to find plans of the Soviet pavilion... at first view, not very easy... I've tried to contact people in Russia without success.

As I have very good contact with the archeologic people they find the statues, maybe I will do a little project of 3d reconstruction of the soviet pavilion, especially to help to present the sculpted group.

Do we know why/how these sculptures ended up in a hole in the ground outside Paris?

lemog, you might try this website http://www.muar.ru/ve/expo/index.htm in your search for plans for the 1937 Paris Exhibition Soviet pavilion. Others will find this website interesting. It includes plans for the never-built Soviet pavilion for New York 1964-65 and alternate plans for Soviet pavilions at New York 1939-40, Montreal 1967 and Osaka 1970.

Thanks for the link ExpoBoy, I will try to contact them to know if there's more informations about the soviet pavilion...

and more about the statues story :

After Paris exposition of 1937, Stalin decided to offer these statues to the Parisian workmen to thank them for not having struck during the construction of the soviet pavilion.

The statues were given to a trade union communist metallurgist, the CGT.

At this time, CGT recovers a castle and will transform it into vacation centre, one of the two sculpted groups there will be installed.

In 1939, following the Pact germano-Soviet, the french Daladier government requisitions the castle and transforms it into center of administrative internment for Communist militants.

During the German occupation in France, the castle is entrusted to petainists movements. It's them which break these representations of Communism. And we don't know more about the story.

A photo catch when the liberation shows the broken sculptures.

After the war, CGT recovers the castle, which it will preserve until 1972. The sculpted groups are not restored and stored in the hole, perhaps in the 60'.