About three years ago the operating contract for the tower came up for renewal and Landry's restaurants won the contract. Shortly after that the tower was closed for about a year while Landry's carried out an $8M renovation. A friend and I went to the grand re-opening in summer of 2006. Here are some of the photo's I took, including one of the ground work for the new Grand Hyatt hotel that was finally built after 20 years of planning. The indoor pic is one of two banquet rooms up on the main observation level (Pardon the fuzziness).

post-4158-1226687085_thumb.jpg

post-4158-1226687121_thumb.jpg

post-4158-1226687196_thumb.jpg

post-4158-1226687224_thumb.jpg

post-4158-1226687774_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice shots. Looks like the money was well spent. How's attendance? Is the restaurant any good?

Landry's is a chain in Texas. We used to eat at a Landry's a lot in Fort Worth when my family lived there in the late 50's. Good food.

Unfortunately I just checked Landry's home web site. It says the first Landry's opened in 1980. So maybe the one in Fort Worth in the 50's was a different Landry's.

Here's another photo I found from the re-opening. Interesting fact is sometime after the re-opening Landry's changed the name of the restaurant from"The Eye's Over Texas" to Chart House 601". I was told that was due to name recognition, that "Chart House" is their nation wide restaurant brand. Attached is the glass work with the original name.

post-4158-1226947011_thumb.jpg

Nice pictures. Its good to see that the Tower has been restored. Does the Riverwalk extension that was built so that fairgoers could enter the grounds by boat still exist between the Theater and Convention Center?

Landry's is a chain in Texas. We used to eat at a Landry's a lot in Fort Worth when my family lived there in the late 50's. Good food.

Unfortunately I just checked Landry's home web site. It says the first Landry's opened in 1980. So maybe the one in Fort Worth in the 50's was a different Landry's.

I always thought these restaurants were a namesake of the late great Dallas Cowboys coach Tom Landry.

Yep, not only does it still exist, during the last expansion/renovation of the convention center, the lagoon was expanded further into the convention center complex. A pedestrian walkway that goes from the river lagoon under the convention center up into HemisFair park was re-created (Sometime after the fair the original walkway from the lagoon up to the fair grounds was enclosed during an earlier expansion of the convention center). Attached are some recent photo's of the Theater & Convention Center lagoon area, the walkway the now passes under the center up into HemisFair park, an older construction pic of the new Grand Hyatt hotel (Just opened this year) and the two murals commissioned for the fair Juan O'gorman's over the theater and Carlos Madera's in the convention center stair lobby across the lagoon from the theater.

post-4158-1227016826_thumb.jpg

post-4158-1227016860_thumb.jpg

post-4158-1227016933_thumb.jpg

post-4158-1227016968_thumb.jpg

post-4158-1227017313_thumb.jpg

post-4158-1227017504_thumb.jpg

post-4158-1227017592_thumb.jpg