The Picturephone

Wow, thank you for posting all the pictures! Looks like a well thought out and balanced exhibit. You should go ahead and post the rest of the pictures, I think it's safe to say that most of us "PTUers" love photos. :)

On the evictions etc., some of that is touched on in the 20th anniversary video I posted in another thread, in case anyone wants more of the story.

I just came from this exhibit at Hemisfair Park. It was very nice. I took 70+ photos of the whole exhibit, someone here asked for pix... I cannot remember who. Obviously I will not be posting them all here, but will chose a few choice images to share when I get the chance to download them off my camera. They had uniforms from various exhibits, and Lady Bird's dress she wore on opening day. They had an IBM Selectric, and a 1964 Bell picturephone there, even credited it to 1964, stopping short of saying it was a hand me down exhibit from NYWF. There were some sad parts too... destroyed neighborhood and displaced residents to build the fair. At least they are acknowledging the darker side of the event, which I am sure they did not do in 1968.

Did you get to catch the dome show that was also created for the exhibit? Being that the ITC and its parking is on the grounds, its a shame that the ITC didn't create a current map of the grounds for visitors to explore/revisit the site.

Did you get to catch the dome show that was also created for the exhibit? Being that the ITC and its parking is on the grounds, its a shame that the ITC didn't create a current map of the grounds for visitors to explore/revisit the site.

I did NOT get to catch the show, which I suspect was a significant portion of the exhibit, but you would not instinctively know that as it was somewhat separate from the main displays. The screens were sort of "invisible" and unmarked when not in use. I arrived at the tail end of the film as it was ending, and had an hour and a half to wait for it to start up again so if you think it is worth another visit just for the film, I will go back again and try to catch it.

I agree re: the map idea, and did leave a comment card to say that if they sold Hemisfair posters in the gift shop, I would have bought one.

I did NOT get to catch the show, which I suspect was a significant portion of the exhibit, but you would not instinctively know that as it was somewhat separate from the main displays. The screens were sort of "invisible" and unmarked when not in use. I arrived at the tail end of the film as it was ending, and had an hour and a half to wait for it to start up again so if you think it is worth another visit just for the film, I will go back again and try to catch it.

The film is approx. 10 minutes long, showing audio clips and video/images from the fair just like the wall projectors in the exhibit and wraps-up with video of San Antonio's tourism industry today. I always enjoy watching it.

Those photographs are wonderful. Many thanks for posting them. What a great tribute to Hemisfair 68.