Sign in to follow this  
JOHNNY AT THE FAIR

Revisions, revisions

post-3769-1222221838_thumb.jpgPut the flag poles there, move them here. Take W-11 lights off the theatarama wait put them back. Lets make the SS a hydraulic lift wait, lets go to cable. Man there must have been a million things going on in that short time frame they had................Johnny

Do it right, do it fast, do it cheap - choose two.

Interesting how this drawing is dated 1966 and revised in 1967, both AFTER the fair closed. Why bother updating drawings for a closed pavilion that would never be used again?

Also note that they were working on the day JFK was assassinated, as evidenced by the 11/22/63 revision date.

I am certain all of us who are old enough clearly remember where we were on that awful day in November of 1963 when we first heard the news.

Interesting how this drawing is dated 1966 and revised in 1967, both AFTER the fair closed. Why bother updating drawings for a closed pavilion that would never be used again?

Also note that they were working on the day JFK was assassinated, as evidenced by the 11/22/63 revision date.

Irv, a lot of work was done to the pavillion in 66 and 67. Thats when they put all the fire boxes in the building and a whole bunch of other stuff was done. Maybe at that time the future of the pavillion looked good.

The assassination didn't happen until 2:30pm Eastern time. That means east coast workers could have gotten in almost a full day's work before getting the news, and they probably wouldn't have heard until an hour or two later anyway, which was almost 'going home' time.

Randy,

It was a Friday and I was in high school at the time and clearly remember hearing about the shooting by 1 PM, EST. However, we didn't learn of Kennedy's actual death until about 2:30.

So for all practical purposes, everyone knew what was going on right after lunch.

You may recall that the presidental motorcade occurred around Noon in Dallas.

Incidentally, that was the day of my senior prom, so it was a doubly horrible turn of events. Our prom's theme was "A Day to Remember".

The shooting took place just seconds after JFK's automobile turned into Dealy Plaza at 12:30 PM CST.

The news of his death was announced at 1:33 PM CST. Millions knew of the shooting almost immediately after

it had happened so the nation was coming to an almost complete standstill before the awful news that he had died.

I would say that JFK's death was the most shocking single moment of my life.

And that includes personal and family crises.

That day was surreal even for a very young kid.

• Like 1

There is a photo of JFK's limousine racing out from under the triple overpass, where the photographer is on the other side of the overpass from Dealey Plaza, and you can see the big digital clock on top of the Texas School Book Depository, and it reads exactly 12:30.

Since Dallas is in the central time zone, that means the shots were fired at 2:30 eastern time.

That photo is kind of creepy to me, not just for the tragic people being carried in the racing car, but up on the 6th floor of that building Oswald has probably already laid down the rifle and is walking toward the stairway to begin his casual walkaway (later interrupted by Officer Tippet).

There is another photo snapped just seconds BEFORE the first shot rang out that shows the open window with one of the book boxes perched in it as a "gun rest" exactly as discovered later...it must have been just a second or two before Oswald stuck the rifle barrel out the window. Several observers saw the rifle barrel and even puffs of smoke as it fired, but to this date no photo has been found of the open window during those seconds when the rifle was visible. Those people who quickly looked up there and saw it were not those who had their eye stuck in a camera viewfinder aimed at the motorcade.

I don't know why I find this stuff intriguing....it's certainly creepy at the same time. I'm not a grassy knoll conspiracy theorist at all. Just interested in history.

It is fascinating to visit the Sixth Floor museum in Dallas and look out the same window where Oswald fired the shots. The window remains open just as Oswald left it, with the book cartons still stacked beneath the sill to act as a gun rest.

Looking down at the intersection below, there is no way you could have fired and missed the target.

Dallas is not proud of its role in the shooting and doesn't publicize the museum much, which is in the former Book Depository building. Only a smalll sign on the building indicates the Sixth Floor museum, with no mention of what it is about. Even on the street below, there is no marker whatsoever indicating what happened on that exact spot. But even to this day, those that remember stop and look up at the building and walk to the Grassy Knoll. Most everone knows exactly where Kennedy's car was on the street at exactly the time of the shooting.

If you never visited this site before, when you first go there you will get a feeling of deja-vu, as the image of the building and Dealy Plaza has been burned into our sub-consciousness.

There is a photo of JFK's limousine racing out from under the triple overpass, where the photographer is on the other side of the overpass from Dealey Plaza, and you can see the big digital clock on top of the Texas School Book Depository, and it reads exactly 12:30.

[color="#FFFF00"]Since Dallas is in the central time zone, that means the shots were fired at 2:30 eastern time.

That photo is kind of creepy to me, not just for the tragic people being carried in the racing car, but up on the 6th floor of that building Oswald has probably already laid down the rifle and is walking toward the stairway to begin his casual walkaway (later interrupted by Officer Tippet).

There is another photo snapped just seconds BEFORE the first shot rang out that shows the open window with one of the book boxes perched in it as a "gun rest" exactly as discovered later...it must have been just a second or two before Oswald stuck the rifle barrel out the window. Several observers saw the rifle barrel and even puffs of smoke as it fired, but to this date no photo has been found of the open window during those seconds when the rifle was visible. Those people who quickly looked up there and saw it were not those who had their eye stuck in a camera viewfinder aimed at the motorcade.

I don't know why I find this stuff intriguing....it's certainly creepy at the same time. I'm not a grassy knoll conspiracy theorist at all. Just interested in history.

Central time is only 1 hour from Eastern Time.

I was in Dallas in March on business. I did visit the plaza but didn't have time for the museum - I wsh that I had. Spots like that alway attract me - yet make me feel uneasy at the same time.

Kennedy was shot at 12:30 pm Dallas time Central Standard Time or 1:30pm Eastern Standard time in New York. The first alarm bells went off on UPI teletypes over the whole country at 12:34. They beat out AP by a couple of minutes. I remember the day well, I was in school on split session meaning I attended only from 8:30 am to 12:30 PM. I was home watching the Gale Storm show, AKA Oh Susanna on TV, on Long Island, when they broke in about twenty minutes to two New York time to report the shooting. Kennedy was pronounced DOA at 1pm Dallas time. So yes, businesses could have very well operated all day. The next big events in that era were the Beatles Feb 1964 visit to New York, appearing on Ed Sullivan, followed by the opening of the NYWF in April 1964. Really a wonderful era as a child to grow up in. I look back with fond memories! I too, hope to get down to Dealy Plaza someday.

post-3769-1222390635_thumb.jpg That had to be one of the worst weekends ever. I remember almost being sick. And to this day i watch and read anything to do with the assassnination, i even have this camera which is a close match to the type zapruder used to film the motorcade on a shelf in my basement.