Yadda Yadda

More photos of Expo '86

Hi All,

A few selected photos from the last World's Fair to take place in North America...

Expo '86 in Vancouver BC!

From the Red Zone:

UFO H20 water sculpture...

post-387-125624031238_thumb.jpg

The "International Traffic Jam" sculpture in the Land Plaza...

post-387-125624033085_thumb.jpg

post-387-1256240337_thumb.jpg

post-387-125624034633_thumb.jpg

post-387-125624035539_thumb.jpg

post-387-125624036217_thumb.jpg

post-387-125624037161_thumb.jpg

From the Pink Zone:

The Air Plaza...

post-387-12562403793_thumb.jpg

post-387-12562403914_thumb.jpg

View of the Expo Centre across False Creek...

post-387-125624040311_thumb.jpg

There's seems to be a universal theme at all World's Fairs of toddlers sleeping in strollers...

post-387-125624041119_thumb.jpg

Or men sleeping on benches...

post-387-125624041972_thumb.jpg

Plaza near the Indonesia Pavilion...

post-387-125624043585_thumb.jpg

Entrance to the Thailand Pavilion...

post-387-125624044444_thumb.jpg

From the Green Zone:

The HMS Bounty was at Expo '86 too (though this was the replica built for the 1984 Mel Gibson movie)...

post-387-125624045382_thumb.jpg

More photos from the Green Zone waterfront...

post-387-125624046269_thumb.jpg

post-387-12562404714_thumb.jpg

"R-O-C-K in the U.S.A. - Oh wait, we're in Canada..."

post-387-12562404825_thumb.jpg

A fanciful flying machine in the Roundhouse...

post-387-12562404897_thumb.jpg

That's it! - I hope you all enjoyed this brief look back to 1986!

The photograph of the sleeping kid is wonderful. I wonder where she is today.

VIVA EXPO 86! Thanks! All my WF negatives are out being digitized, so I'll be adding some EXPO 86 photos too. :)

First time I have seen those whimsical scuptures - made me smile! :D

I thought people might be interested in this monorail construction shot from September 1985:

monorail-work-car.jpg

That's the Roundhouse pavilion in back, the only pre-Expo building that was left

in place and used for the world's fair. I thought it was an interesting mix of

two different type of rail systems.

• Like 1

Thanks for the recent additions Bill - great stuff!

I also noticed that the photos from my original posting weren't working correctly, so I have re-attached them all...

Best Regards,

Kevin

Thanks Kevin.

I've got to do something too. My server provider is going away on the 27th and has offered some kind of move, so I need to find out more about it and make sure I do it before everything disappears on the 27th. I hope the addresses don't change (or that they'll automatically mirror) but I'm afraid they might. I'm sure I'll be able to keep the file/folder structure the same, and only the domain might change.

Good luck, Randy. I'd hate to see all of that great stuff you've uploaded go away. Let me know if you want to park a safety copy on one of my hosts just to be safe.

It must be a trend Randy...

I got a notice from Yahoo! about two weeks ago that my freebie GeoCities accounts will be deleted on Oct. 26th. I didn't post all of my photos on PTU using that method, but there will still quite a few of them that'll disappear...

It would be a rather daunting task to try to go back and fix them all now, so I'll just handle it by replacing the imaqes as I come across the broken links (as I've done with the deleted PTU attachments over the years).

Or, if anybody else should come across an old posting of mine with missing photos, just post a reply to the thread asking for the photos, and I'd be more than happy to re-attach them at that time as well...

Kevin

It's the same with me Kevin- geocities is disappearing.

When they first sent out a notice in July, they said they'd automatically rehost them on yahoo.

Then a few weeks ago I got an email from them that said they'd failed to bill me for over a year, so I would have to take action to verify whether I still want their service or not, and if I did I could either arrange for them to move them for me, or move them myself with FTP. I'd like them to do it for me automatically, but I've got to go figure it out now, what I have to do.

That was right before I had to leave for a business trip to Europe.

So now I'm down to the 11th hour- ha!

I've noticed how the tendancy of recent expos is to asphalt everything that isn't occupied by a building. No grass or flowers. Pictures I saw of Expo 2000 in Hannover were like that too.

Expo 86 was the third and last world's fair I attended (82, 84 and 86). It felt huge, far larger than the Specialized Exhibition it was. The USSR pavilion was the highlight for me since they didn't participate in the previous two fairs in the US.

I think the lack of plantings was made up for by being on the water and the colorful buildings and sculptures. The site was so narrow. Where there wasn't a building it was usually a walkway. On the day we went it was packed. People seemed to fill every available area and the queues were long.

It's the same with me Kevin- geocities is disappearing.

When they first sent out a notice in July, they said they'd automatically rehost them on yahoo.

Then a few weeks ago I got an email from them that said they'd failed to bill me for over a year, so I would have to take action to verify whether I still want their service or not, and if I did I could either arrange for them to move them for me, or move them myself with FTP. I'd like them to do it for me automatically, but I've got to go figure it out now, what I have to do.

That was right before I had to leave for a business trip to Europe.

So now I'm down to the 11th hour- ha!

Update: I downloaded everything just in case, but it appears that nothing is lost.

Actually a couple of years ago I had moved everything off of geocities, onto my own domain. To make it easy, I set it up so that anything addressed to the old geocities domain would automatically mirror over to the new one, seamlessly. So most of my old PTU picture links still worked fine.

That automatic mirror is what is now gone. So the links are broken.

It is very easy to fix by editing a given message posting on this board, but unfortunately we don't have an editor that can do a 'search and replace' through all the PTU postings- at least I don't know of one.

So they have to be edited and fixed one at a time.

SO.....if any of you are reading a topic and want to see a picture I had posted, where it is not now displaying and it appears the link is broken....just let me know which topic it is and I can fix it very easily so the pictures will appear again. If you don't want to wait to see the picture, just copy the old url for the picture into your web browser, then replace www.geocities.com/c318137 with randytreadway.com

(without any www and without the c318137 subdomain)

Simple as that

Example

http://www.geocities.com/c318137/018x.jpg

becomes

018x.jpg

I've noticed how the tendancy of recent expos is to asphalt everything that isn't occupied by a building. No grass or flowers. Pictures I saw of Expo 2000 in Hannover were like that too.

You're right about Expo 2000 was mostly grey, but there was a patch of green, that still looks the same on conference centre website, and also an amount of water to the south (beyond the spot where the US pavilion was supposed to have been!). Ditto Zaragoza - but Aichi had (and it was intended to remain), a large beautiful park

Here's my Expo 2000 schematic plan - imagine everything not blue or green, as asphalt

| xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|

| xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx#xxxxxxx|

| xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|___________

| xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|

---------------------------------------------------------- xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|

............................................................................ | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|

............................................................................ | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|

............................................................................ | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| .

........................................................................... | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|

............................................................................ | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| ..

.......................................................................... | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|

............................................................................ | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| ..

.......................................................................... | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|

--------------------

............................................................................ ~~~~

............................................................................ ~~~~

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2009 at 0:03 AM, Bill Cotter said:

canadian-pacific-skyride.jpg

Canadian Pacific Air Lines Skyride Station

Red Zone

CP Air had just rebranded itself during the fair...it went from the beautiful orange livery on the gondolas to the conservative business blue and red one that you see on the awning.  As they said in the airline's marketing in the 60's and 70's, orange is beautiful!