Sign in to follow this  
gary h

Expo 2010 forum

Good link. I can't wait for the scale model pictured here to be filled in with actual pavilion designs as they become available. The following link is mentioned several times and is worth visiting:

http://www.vilagkiallitas.hu

Check out the 104 page PDF attachment showing proposed designs for the Pavilion of Finland. They have enough there to fill an entire word's fair site with exciting buildings. Maybe the U.S. can borrow one of the discarded designs? Any news on U.S. participation? Google searches produce nothing.

Good link. I can't wait for the scale model pictured here to be filled in with actual pavilion designs as they become available. The following link is mentioned several times and is worth visiting:

<a href="http://www.vilagkiallitas.hu" target="_blank">http://www.vilagkiallitas.hu</a>

Check out the 104 page PDF attachment showing proposed designs for the Pavilion of Finland. They have enough there to fill an entire word's fair site with exciting buildings. Maybe the U.S. can borrow one of the discarded designs? Any news on U.S. participation? Google searches produce nothing.

If you check the www.vilagkiallitas.hu English version >> there is some news about the US pavilion. Not so good news, but there is a glimmer of hope. :rolleyes:

If it's any consolation, I saw in the paper this morning that General Motors is reducing their presence at the big L.A. Auto Show this winter to a mere "booth" and they're asking local dealers to pay for that. They were going to debut two new cars at this show, but have cancelled those plans as well. The paper says G.M. is also reviewing how much they want to do at the Detroit Auto Show, the biggest one of all.

Kind of sad when you think of their pavilion at the '64-65 World's Fair, but then when you're asking for Federal bailout money, you don't want to do what the Wall Street firms did and continue to send their customers and big time finance analysts out on swanky soirees at resorts, implying that taxpayers are paying for arrogant rich life styles for companies that "just don't get it".

Many people think the entire U.S. economy and government is in a world of financial hurt that's not much better than General Motors, and lavish spending on a World's Fair Pavilion would appear to be thumbing its nose at financial reality. (you and I know that the most expensive pavilion in the world wouldn't even be a grain of salt on the U.S. economy's balance sheet, but the news media and much of the public doesn't understand that. The public believes what the news media would tell them. I can just see a daily "count" of how many foreclosed "victimized" sub-prime homeowners are being kicked out of their homes, relative to the price tag on a World's Fair pavilion in Shanghai- just like they "count" the military casualties in Iraq for political purposes.)

BUT....now the incoming administration is talking about "make work" projects Roosevelt-style. Why not quickly gather up a couple of thousand unemployed U.S. citizen construction workers, ship them to Shanghai and have them put up a pavilion in record time?

Then DOUBLE the jobs created by sending another couple thousand workers to Shanghai next fall, to tear it down in record time? :D Cast it as a jobs creation initiative, not a fat cow project.

Attending the L.A. Auto Show has been an annual ritual of mine for the past 25 years. It is hard to fathom G.M. reducing their participation to a "booth," especially in a car-crazy culture like Southern California. I'm sure the logistics of mounting an exhibit at a major car show results in a large sum of money spent however this can be written-off as advertising. In addition, I'd think all the props, lighting, etc. from previous shows could be reused. It will be interesting to see what G.M., Ford and Chrysler end up sending to Los Angeles.

Their problem isn't writeoffs, it's cash flow. Rumor is that G.M. will run out of cash by the end of December and not be able to make payroll (or delay payments to suppliers). In either case they'd have to file for Chapter 11 in order to buy themselves some time. That alone might force some suppliers to file for Chapter 11 themselves.

Still, I expect that G.M. will have more than just a "booth" in L.A.- including a decent selection of their current vehicle offerings, but not very splashy compared to previous years, and no major news media splashes.

G.M. even made a point of announcing that their CEO who was going to unveil a new Cadillac CTS model, and one of their VP's who was going to unveil another new one (a Buick), will not even be traveling to L.A. at all, in the name of cash outlay savings. They said they are going to unveil the new Buick at the Detroit Show instead, partly because the Chinese news media will be in heavy attendance at Detroit, and Buick is selling wildly well in China right now. At least it had been until this year's economic downtown, with lots of Chinese layoffs driving up their unemployment.

I would have thought the Chinese would heavily attend the L.A. Show, given that it's a Pacific rim city.

Hey Expoboy, where are you? I'm in Lakewood near the 605 Freeway, a couple of residential blocks behind the Lakewood Equestrian Center (which is across the street from the Long Beach Towne Center).

Yeah - advertising isn't a "Write Off"....it's an expense - true it's a justafiable one...but when it comes to budget crunch advertising is, usually, the first to get the ax.

Their problem isn't writeoffs, it's cash flow. Rumor is that G.M. will run out of cash by the end of December and not be able to make payroll (or delay payments to suppliers). In either case they'd have to file for Chapter 11 in order to buy themselves some time. That alone might force some suppliers to file for Chapter 11 themselves.

Still, I expect that G.M. will have more than just a "booth" in L.A.- including a decent selection of their current vehicle offerings, but not very splashy compared to previous years, and no major news media splashes.

G.M. even made a point of announcing that their CEO who was going to unveil a new Cadillac CTS model, and one of their VP's who was going to unveil another new one (a Buick), will not even be traveling to L.A. at all, in the name of cash outlay savings. They said they are going to unveil the new Buick at the Detroit Show instead, partly because the Chinese news media will be in heavy attendance at Detroit, and Buick is selling wildly well in China right now. At least it had been until this year's economic downtown, with lots of Chinese layoffs driving up their unemployment.

I would have thought the Chinese would heavily attend the L.A. Show, given that it's a Pacific rim city.

Hey Expoboy, where are you? I'm in Lakewood near the 605 Freeway, a couple of residential blocks behind the Lakewood Equestrian Center (which is across the street from the Long Beach Towne Center).

I'm in Long Beach, Bluff Heights area near 3rd and Redondo.