Sign in to follow this  
bobster1985

The monorail - 1965 film

Good find. The caption questions why monorails never caught on. Let's face it, they are kind of an eyesore what with all the above-ground posts, tracks, etc.

Thanks!

"Please do not get off between stations." Good monorail advice.

Yeah, nice shots of the area. I think I only got on the monorail once briefly. I think the driver or conductor or something gave me a free ride.

I think the driver or conductor or something gave me a free ride.

"Up and above the Dempsey dumpsters. What harm could there be?"

Actually the only on-board employees were the cute hostesses, so Larry was playin' the cards right..... :D

"Hey Larry! Yes, YOU down there driving the Glide-a-Ride. Come on up and I'll make your day!"

amf17.jpg

The invitation to Larry sounds like the monorail version of this ad. It is said that National's reservations went up by 23% in the 12 months after this ad campaign began. :D

fly_me_small.jpg

Which reminds me of the lengths that Southwest Airlines went to, with their flight attendants.

But this was the all-time greatest airline TV commercial ever:

• Like 1

I found a pretty nifty newsreel of the monorail from 1965. It shows the inside of the cab, and the view from the window as it moves around the track. Nice shots of the Belgian Village and and Amusement Area, too. I posted it here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32912172@N00/2844442806/

Isn't this on the BBQ Productions DVD?

Yes it is on our "Cutting Room Floor" disc. We put all the newsreels we could find on that disc. The monorail newsreel was one of my favorites. There was one newsreel we couldn't use (because of money, of course) of the Sinclair Dinos on the barge going to the Fair. We got a screener of it but couldn't afford the price.

There was also some great footage we got of a segment from the Ed Sullivan show showing Ed at the Pieta. It was great but out of our price range.