Eric Paddon

Hydrox Cookies!

I'd like to try them, but don't know where to find them in the Chicago area.

I used to be an Oreo fan, but found the quality somewhat variable. I have stopped buying them in favor of vanilla wafers, animal crakcers, ginger snaps and other lower-fat treats. But how much harm could there be in sampling a few Hydrox, I ask you?

post-848-1225069305_thumb.jpg

That's a picture of me with the Hydrox cookies at the Local Supermarket! (Mom took this picture, she and my father came to visit this weekend).

so now, for my opinion on these cookies: They taste like Oreos to me? I am not a big chocolate cookie eater, but these are mighty tasty. I will have to try not to eat them all in one or two sittings hehe

post-848-1225069305_thumb.jpg

That's a picture of me with the Hydrox cookies at the Local Supermarket! (Mom took this picture, she and my father came to visit this weekend).

so now, for my opinion on these cookies: They taste like Oreos to me? I am not a big chocolate cookie eater, but these are mighty tasty. I will have to try not to eat them all in one or two sittings hehe

What a great pic!! You should be on the Price Is Right! :lol:

Baby formula and cookies on the same aisle.

There was a local store here once that had the baby needs sharing the ailse with pet needs. I always thought that was interesting. Pets are alot like children.

Besides the Hydrox, I've got the Nilla wafers spotted on the top shelf. Might have to take home six or seven boxes to tide me over 'til the next trip. The Hydrox, on the other hand, don't count against any diet quotas since they're 'special'. :D

By the way, in the next 'special portable display' down the aisle, there are Oreos on top, but right underneath that is a box that appears to be labeled 'Morning Sucks'. Now that's my kind of snack. Completely honest and forthright! :P

Randy

Proponent of the 9 to 5 shift (not a morning person)

post-1026-1227144290_thumb.jpg

Did a little shopping today, look what I found!!! :lol: The store is Stew Leonards. It has a definite Disney feel there with the audio-animatronics and a great attention to detail and characters and carefully planned traffic flow.

Here is a wiki article about the place. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stew_Leonard's . Make sure you read all about the tax fraud, it was quite the scandal. We used to live near the original store and shopped there all the time, but we moved in 1999. I go there now for special occasions and when I am in the area.

Anyhow. glad to do my part by keeping this thread alive ;)

/ Nancy

Years ago Stew Leonard Jr was invited to address the IT staff leadership at Time Warner as part of an effort to improve how to deal with our clients. He gave a wonderful speech and was very proud of how he and his father had grown the business so dramatically. The bloom sure came off that rose when the tax fraud was revealed. I remember thinking how most businesses could grow like that if they just didn't have to pay those pesky taxes. I've been by the store after that but never felt like stopping in as the two-faced speech still sticks with me. Customer service indeed.

Hey Nancy, we have relatives in Norwalk, is that the original store?

Been in there several times.....

Hi Mike!! We lived in Norwalk for years, but we moved 9 years ago. I will be @ Stews for the annual Thanksgiving shopping either Monday or Tuesday. It is a good store, and they always did so much for the community. But I agree with Bill when he says they spoke out of both sides of their mouths. The tax scandal was wicked. They had false walls and books that were hollowed out ( allegedly) and people would run cash down to the islands on a semi regular schedule. Supposedly someone got lazy and brought more cash than allowed if you want to fly under the radar and I guess that blew the lids off of things. Stew SR. took the fall and tried getting out of his incarceration by claiming health issues, but the jail was more than happy to provide him with heart healthy diabetic meals. He was sent away for 52 months and was also fined and forced to pay the cost of his own incarceration.( which I thought was a brilliant move by the judge). The family has had its own share of sadness when Stew Jr's son Stewie drowned at age 2 at a family pool. Stew Jr and his wife have given of themselves to raise awareness of water safety for children and work very hard. My girls were the same age at the time and it really drove home the sadness they must have been experiencing. Even after all of these years their commitment to this public cause has never wavered.

They are still in business, they still have a wonderful business plan and are visited by businessmen/women from all over the globe. I think they learned some from their misteps and certainly paid the price both in fines, jail time and reputation. When you see how many stores are closing because of the economy you have to admit that Stews is doing something right. But we old timers will always remember the sting we felt when we found out we'd been used, even tho time has replaced that with bigger larger nastier scandals in our world.

Oh well..

/ Nancy

Hydrox continues to linger in the local Kings supermarket in our area, so the "limited" release is lasting longer than I first anticipated in terms of how long I'll be able to keep enjoying these. (though this is the time of year when enjoyment of Hydrox must take a backseat to the great Christmas cookies my mother produces!) :)

It's been a year since we were talking about the Hydrox revival.

Anybody seen any lately? I'm having a Hydrox craving this afternoon. :blink:

All gone now alas. Our family stocked up with a few dozen packs last December and we stretched them out all the way to mid-July. And then we carefully preserved the last bag so that after emptying the contents we resealed it and placed the Hydrox box on the shelf with all our other vintage Sunshine memorabilia.

It's too bad the anniversary couldn't have led to a permanent revival of the cookie, but it was nice to have them back for a while.