Eric Paddon

Hydrox Cookies!

Well, if they change the ingredients a bit and call them HydrOxy they will have no problem at all with demand and it will be huge in no time at all! :huh:

MB :rolleyes:

HydrOxy? I'm confused. What does that mean?

Two Hydrox cookies equal HO2, which is necessary for humans to live, and in fact constitutes as much as 70% of the human body. I'll bet you didn't realize you're a walking Hydrox factory did you Jason? Remember that next time you're in the cookie aisle. :P

HO2? That sounds a bit unstable. I'm already turning into the Graf Zeppelin from eating so many Hydrox,

now Randy's got me turning into the Hindenburg.

Hi Jason,

ahh...it was a bad joke about Oxycontin. :o

MB :D

Ah ok. I get it now.

But what about Randy's HO2? I don't think he was joking there. He's on to

something serious. If my body were composed of 70% Hydrox, I would have

every Cookie Monster in the country trying to eat me alive. I would seek refuge in

a garbage can, and probably get beaten up by Oscar the Grouch, then I would

surely need the Oxycontin. Not a pleasant ending says I.

Wait, you’ll love this one. My godson is an Oreo freak. Told him about Hydrox which intrigued him to go to the market to get some. Could not locate them. Went to customer service and they told him to go to isle number XX. Which turned out to be the cleaning products isle, they though he was looking for the generic of Clorox. :blink: :o:unsure:

That's the kind of story that makes the term "customer service" an oxymoron!

I'm no longer seeing them at the local Kings where I first saw them, so I fear the limited run is starting to reach the end. Time to look elsewhere and get them while I still can and make them last to year's end!

They're barely budging off the shelves at Wal Mart, they even lowered the price to 2.50. I was there Saturday when I bought my latest package.

However, Sunday was the Mexican Stampede, so with the lowered price, it is possible the shelf has been cleared and I won't find ANY left the next time I go.

I wonder what the market share of Hydrox was before the company was purchased a decade ago. I know they were marketed as Droxies for a short period of time and then they disappeared. Looking back at that photograph of the Oreos on the shelves makes me realize how we are flooded with advertising and marketing nonsense at virtually every turn. Just how many versions of Coca Cola, Oreos or any other food product do we need?

Sunshine Biscuits the original makers of Hydrox was fighting a long-term losing battle against Nabisco for quite some time in the 50s and 60s and when Nabisco was sold to RJR Tobacco in the mid-60s, enhancing their corporate strength, that was when my grandfather who was CEO of Sunshine at the time (he had worked his way up the corporate ladder, starting at Sunshine in the early 30s) had to negotiate the sale of Sunshine to American Tobacco so he could guarantee the job security of the employees at the main Sunshine Bakery in Long Island (this was about 1967). Then there were just a host of other corporate takeovers that saw the Sunshine product line just neglected more and more so that by the 90s when Keebler took over what was left of Sunshine they just scaled back the Sunshine products to a mere handful. They saw changing the Hydrox name to "Droxies" as kind of the last chance for the old cookie but the problem wasn't so much the name change they did as the fact that they changed the taste of the cookie completely, turning off the old Hydrox constituency.

It also of course didn't help that there was always a glut of Oreo varieties whereas Hydrox has always had just the one basic variety.

The limited Hydrox that we are eating now are supposed to be the original recipe, not the Droxie recipe. But it also says

on the wrapper now with no trans-fat. The original Hydrox, being Kosher, never used animal fats, meaning it was always

a trans fat loaded cookie. Eliminating the Trans fat in the current redux does make the cookie safer to eat, but it is impossible

to call it identical to the original.

The saga continues.....

In our last episode, our hero was awaiting his next visit to Wal Mart, which were stacked with Hydrox on the bottom shelf. (see above photo)Rather than get caught in the Mexican Stampede, he decides to wait it out until the following Monday, when he can shop in peace and replenish his personal Hydrox supply. An entire package is on hand to last the weekend, the Hydrox are plentiful. Then....things start to happen.

Jason arrives home, goes to his Hydrox, and discovers the entire center row of cookies is missing. He wonders how he could possibly have eaten that many cookies in such a short period of time. Then his roomate appears. He declares he ate some of the Hydrox because he was hungry. He tries to compensate by offering a cheap, dollar store Little Debbie creme wafer cookie. Net value of the single wafer cookie- about 12 cents. Net value of the missing Hydrox, about $1.25. Being an even tempered and compassionate soul, our hero brushes off the offense, and brings the rest of the Hydrox to his room for safe keeping.

He manages to stretch the package out to compensate the loss, and finishes off the pack in time for Monday's shopping trip.

Monday arrives. Our hero arrives at Wal Mart, ready to buy more Hydrox.He knows that their time on earth is limited. He is cool and confident, knowing that the Hydrox are stowed beneath the dominant Oreo selection. He arrives at the cookie aisle and starts to smile, when suddenly reality hits hard.

They are GONE!!!! Every single package! GONE GONE GONE!!!The Mexican Stampede? Is it possible? A shelf stocker clerk is spotted up the aisle, peacefully arranging boxes of Famous Amos. His peace is abruptly shattered by a bald, red faced, bulging eyed, teeth baring lunatic, demanding to know the whereabouts of the Hydrox.

The terrified teen manages to answer that the Hydrox were taken off the shelf, because of low sales. In a flash, our hero's outrage is replaced with grief.

In vain, he visits all the supermarkets in town, not a single Hydrox to be found. He branches out the search, Orlando, Kissimmee,Clermont, Umatilla. None.

All gone. He resigns himself to his fate, and buys a pack of Golden Oreos. It was far too soon to go back to regular Oreos after the all too brief return of the Hydrox.

Two days later. The roomate appears, asking if he can have a couple of the Golden Oreos. Being a gentleman, our hero says sure, but inside he is still seething over the center row of Hydrox that were taken oh way too soon. Had the roomate not taken them without asking, they could have been rationed and the pack might have lasted an extra day or two or three.

So life goes on. Another week passes, and the Hydrox begin to fade into history.

Monday- October 6. En route to visit Ma's place, Jason stops at the Deland Publix to get a sandwich for lunch, and a pack of cookies to bring to Ma's.

He is ready to buy regular Oreos again. It had to happen sometime. He arrives at the cookie aisle, Oreo section.

Suddenly, out of corner of eye, is spotted a flash of blue celophane wrapper. No. It can't be. A quick double take reveals the sweet truth-

The Hydrox!!!!!! This particular Publix not only still has them, but has the same sized stack as Wal mart did in the above photo.

OOO Gahhhh! Wiping a tear from eye, our hero picks up the Hydrox, gives it a kiss, and hoists it up in the air in triumph!

And, knowing that there is no Mexican Stampede at the Deland Publix, along with the assurances of store management that they were not going to take the Hydrox off the shelf, peace and joy are restored, and our Hero rides off with his Hydrox to visit Ma.

To be continued...........??

If you peel off the Publix price sticker, does it have a Walmart sticker underneath? :D

...nah, they wouldn't do that.

..............would they?

If you peel off the Publix price sticker, does it have a Walmart sticker underneath? :D

...nah, they wouldn't do that.

..............would they?

nope, the cookies are safe in that respect. Neither Publix nor WalMart here uses stickers, it's all bar code.

Sometimes the price is on the shelf edge itself. I'm heading back to Orlando tomorrow and driving past the Publix again.

Anyone want me to pick them up a pack? I'll be happy to do it, but the shipping won't be cheap. These babies are fragile!

Better have your car's alignment checked Jason....I think it has the infamous Hydrox pull to the right or left whenever it nears a Publix....

any good mechanic will take a look at it and in three seconds say "you too? I've had three dozen customers with the same symptoms in the last two weeks. But for some curious reason it only takes place near a Publix. A month ago it was happening around Walmart."

Well, they're disappearing now in my neck of the woods too. I've got six packs on hand which I intend to stretch out until Thanksgiving at least!

I have noticed that they are disappearing in Upstate NY as well. It is probably OK, however. I have to stop eating them. They have the power to take over one's life.

They are still around in my neck of the woods. As a matter of fact, I just returned 2 packages because I just didn't like the one I opened enough to eat any more!!

As a result of this brief reunion with an old friend, I will *never* eat a regular Oreo again (I'll be willing to have their unique items like Double Stuff for which there was no Hydrox counterpart). Just like my having a plate of Hojo fried clams in Lake George and Lake Placid made me never want to have another clamstrip platter at the local Friendly's again! :)

I think the Washington report is a scam. Perhaps they were using an old, past dated package of Droxies instead.

I can't see Hydrox getting a 5. They are delicious.

How can a generic store brand get the top rating? Perhaps some well placed bribe money, maybe a NYC parks department representative

flew to Washington to judge the cookies, and knowing that PTUers love Hydrox, they gave it a bad rating. idk

I got a ton of people at work and school on hydrox now after giving them a oreo vs hydrox challenge.

The hydrox cookies right out of the bag taste excellent in my opinion than oreos out of the bag.