Eric Paddon

Hydrox Cookies!

Hey Trey & Randy, If you can’t find any, I’d be willing to pick you up some & ship them out for actual costs involved.

The first time I came across them at our local Kings, they didn't have them in the regular cookie aisle but in a separate display area that I almost missed. Maybe something to consider for one of the markets that at first glance didn't seem to have them.

Meantime, I picked up two more packs today and made it a Sunshine day further with two varieties of Cheez-It. :D

Maybe, if sales are incredible, Sunshine will keep Hydrox on the market. From what I can tell, here in Upstate NY, they are barely able to keep the shelves stocked.

When you open up the middle of a Hydrox cookie, don't forget to say....Hi Drox!!

I'm on my second bag of the week. I'm gonna audition for this year's Macy*s parade as one of the balloons!

Here is a cell phone picture I took of the Hydrox location in my local Super Wal-Mart. You can see the upper

shelves dominated by the vast selections of the Oreo Empire, while the Hydrox is tucked away on the bottom

shelf. The superior Hydrox is all but obscure, making one last curtain call before fading away once again. EAT THEM NOW!!!!

850A0289.jpg

From this photograph is it tough to tell which company has a virtual monopoly on packaged cookies and crackers in America? How many people would walk by and never even look at that bottom shelf. It is amazing how supermarkets display food items and which products get "top shelf" and which are almost hidden from view.

That's interesting. As I said before both markets I went to had them on the desirable end caps on eye level. You could not miss them turning the corner. I had no intention of buying them but when I saw them I made the connection to this thread.

I said I stopped at Vons,...it was actually a Pavilions, which is like a Super-Vons.

It's odd that they have it on their web site for home delivery for my zip code, if it isn't actually in any stores...... I looked around both Pavilions and Walmart to see if I could find the Hydrox on an unrelated aisle, but being big stores it's hard to look in every nook and cranny.

Jason, your photo now has me salivating for some Nilla wafers in banana pudding. :P

I take the view that Nabisco has to come up with all those variant Oreo flavors (Double stuff etc.) to cover for the fact that their basic Oreo could never stand up in a head-to-head fight. :P

Jason, your photo now has me salivating for some Nilla wafers in banana pudding. :P

And that's exactly what I ordered at the restaurant where I had lunch. Yummmmmm.

Maybe, if sales are incredible, Sunshine will keep Hydrox on the market. From what I can tell, here in Upstate NY, they are barely able to keep the shelves stocked.

I spoke with a keebler rep the other day. He stated from the meeting he just attended, the Hydrox is not doing very well saleswise and may run into a shorter run. OH NO!

I feel though if publicity continues and sales keep rising and they get some of the prices down, there is still hope. But he knows me, so when he hears the Final word that they are discontinuing/stopping Hydrox, production, he will give me a deal on a case or two. But remember these were meant to be a temporary run to begin with.

From this photograph is it tough to tell which company has a virtual monopoly on packaged cookies and crackers in America? How many people would walk by and never even look at that bottom shelf. It is amazing how supermarkets display food items and which products get "top shelf" and which are almost hidden from view.

Money talks, almost all vendor (meaaing a company rep. orders, stocks and fills the shelves) brand products (Coke, Pepsi, Keebler, Frito-lay, Nabisco, Pepperidge Farm...etc...) lease their areas. In their lease it states where, how much and how many displays and endcaps they are entitled to. I have seen vendors fight over a few inch's space...lol The biggest fued I have ever witnessed was Pepsi vs Coke. Big whiners! Pepsi and Nabisco are the worst in taking care of their products around here....so watch those exp. dates!

Well, I finally had a Hydrox yesterday (I must have had them in the past, but who remembers), and I really don't see what is so great about them. I prefer Oreos!! Sorry guys, but I just don't get it!! ;)

I found them yesterday at my local store (P&C) ON SALE - 2 packages for $5.00.

AND they were on the TOP shelf! And yeah, they're yummy...

:D

I really don't see what is so great about them.

Aside from the small details and personal taste, Hydrox are (or were at one time) the only Kosher

sandwich cookie. They don't need double stuff and cakesters and ice cream novelty status, since

they answer to a higher authority.

harveymagila.gif

I know 'm late getting to this discussion, but I've always been an Oreo guy myself. It was never anything against Hydrox, simply the fact that Oreos were always the cookies I've eaten. I always had that common belief (probably endorsed by NaBisCo) that Hydrox cookies were the "poor man's Oreos". I sort of lumped Hydrox cookies into a category with all those cheap, no-name packages of cookies which were inexpensive, but also not very good.

Once again I have been enlightened by PTU (or should I say The World's Fair Community) about a topic I never thought would be covered in a World's Fair community! Thank you everyone once again. Now I have to go out and try to find some Hydrox so I can do an actual taste test for myself (not a bad homework assignment if I say so myself!).

They don't need double stuff and cakesters and ice cream novelty status, since

they answer to a higher authority.

Thank you for reminding me about Oreo ice cream cookies. I remember in the 80s the mother of one of my friends would buy these for him. He never really seemed to care for them, but the rest of us always loved stopping over his house for a couple. Funny, my mother never bought them and I've never bought them. The only place I ever had any of these little confections was at my friend's house.

Funny you mention about Oreo ice cream cookies.

I found a reference that said that Hydrox never really went out of production. It's just that Sunshine/Kelloggs has been breaking them all up to put in ice cream.

Went back to the market yesterday night and the end cap only had one shelf of Hydrox. A few days earlier there were 5 shelves. Ever the investigative journalist I asked around and was told they have been selling very strong and that's all that was left. Sounds promising. ;)

I'm eating some now as I read this thread. mmmm they are so addictive! I keep it up, and I'm going to make

Augustus Gloop look skinny.

I had hoped that if sales went well then the cookie might remain on the market. However, now that I think of it, they are simply on the shelves. There is no advertising campaign etc. to actually get sales moving. Its a nostalgia thing, I suppose, and once its over, they are gone.

I had hoped that if sales went well then the cookie might remain on the market. However, now that I think of it, they are simply on the shelves. There is no advertising campaign etc. to actually get sales moving. Its a nostalgia thing, I suppose, and once its over, they are gone.

No. Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! (running in slow motion through the Wal Mart to get the rest of the Hydrox)

Well, if they change the ingredients a bit and call them HydrOxy they will have no problem at all with demand and it will be huge in no time at all! :huh:

MB :rolleyes: