Eric Paddon

Hydrox Cookies!

Over the past week, this thread has driven me mad. At first, I said, yeah, Hydrox, so what. They were around, then they were gone. I always ate Oreos.

But then I started thinking about it. Do I really remember ever eating a Hydrox cookie? They are older than Oreos, the original. If some of my fellow PTUers are saying they are better than Oreos, perhaps I should investigate. Go to the stores, see if I can find a pack, try them out for myself. I was skeptical.

Better than Oreos? Cmon!!!!!

So I arrive at the Wal-Mart supercenter with my little shopping list, with Hydrox at the top of the page. I go to the cookie section, figuring they would be tough to find. How wrong I was. As soon as I arrived in the cookie aisle, the Hydrox jumped off the shelf and into my waiting arms. They were on the bottom shelf, with the rest of the Sunshine selection, sitting in two neat rows. The various varieties of Oreos were on the upper shelves. The Oreos were actually 60 cents cheaper than the Hydrox, and you got two more ounces with the Oreos, but I didn't care. I was on a mission to find out- are they really better?

I purchased the rest of my groceries, every once in a while checking on the pack of Hydrox in the shopping cart, to make sure they were still really there.

The presence of the package itself was almost surreal. I check out, load the car, go home, unpack the groceries. Now, the moment of truth arrives!!DSCF0001-2.jpg

I pour a glass of milk, and open the Hydrox. I remove one from the bag and examine it. looks like an Oreo, with different designs on the cookie. Actually, the design is more attractive than the Oreo design. More....classic. DSCF0003-2.jpgThe cookie itself seems to be slightly thicker than an oreo too, with a more pronounced cocoa aroma. Now came taste time. mmm. The cookie was good. Another one. And another and another. mmm. They really ARE better than Oreos. My esteemed

colleagues at PTU were right! I also noticed that if you are in the practice of opening and scraping the cookie, like many oreo eaters do, the hydrox creme comes off the cookie in one piece, whereas the oreo creme sticks to the cookie, leaving tooth track marks.

Before I knew it, I had eaten one and a half rows of cookies out of the pack. I was enjoying them immensly. I reached into the package to get another cookie, and this one comes out.

Instead of the normal two cookies with a layer of creme in the middle, this one was a misfire, with three cookies and two layers of creme. At first I thought it was two whole cookies stuck together, then I realized that I had a genuine Hydrox anomaly, that incidently, looks just like the dual platforms on tower 3 of the New York State pavilion. DSCF0004-1.jpg I then took two normal Hydrox to represent towers 1 and 2. All they needed was an edible representation of the concrete columns, and I would have the world's only edible NYSP towers. I was hungry though.....

You could use straws to represent the columns, and a cherry for the red light on top.

But your best trick was getting all three cookies to stand up on end at the same time, to snap the photo. :D

Walmart huh? I have to fly back across the country tomorrow, and there's a Walmart just two blocks from here. Would a package last me four and a half hours coast-to-coast? It's tempting....

P&C Markets in upstate NY has Hydrox. I found them yesterday. I wonder if sales will be so good that Sunshine might consider keeping them on the market.

P&C Markets in upstate NY has Hydrox. I found them yesterday. I wonder if sales will be so good that Sunshine might consider keeping them on the market.

I have been thinking the same thing...and I certainly hope so!!!

Next time I see a Sunshine rep. I'll ask!

I doubt they’ll be around long, Oreo has the market muscle. If they were presented as a cheaper alternative to Oreos maybe. But they cost about the same. Superior product, I agree, but they need marketing green behind them.

I doubt they’ll be around long, Oreo has the market muscle. If they were presented as a cheaper alternative to Oreos maybe. But they cost about the same. Superior product, I agree, but they need marketing green behind them.

They are almost a dollar more a package here than Oreos are, and you get a few ounces less in product weight. But Hot Dang, they are good!

The novelty value might keep em around, or make them a seasonal thing. Depends on how fast this batch disappears. They aren't that hard to make,

especially if they have all the equipment and stuff. I can't see the Sunshine buscuit company executives smashing the molds to make the cookies,

vowing never to produce a hydrox again. I'll be visiting Wal Mart tomorrow to see if I can get some more. They probably survived the Sunday Mexican Stampede, (in which 75% of all the food merchandise flies off the shelves during the wake of the daylight hours) due to the higher price per ounce. The store is usually fully recovered by tuesday, so we shall see!

Alright, dang it-- that's it. I'm stopping by the market on the way home. With any luck, these limited edition Hydrox everybody's raving about will have made it out West as well. Meanwhile, you might want to check out the Official Hydrox Cookie Website:

Hydrox Cookies

Glad to see that old Hydrox fans are finding the new supplies and that new Hydrox fans are being born thanks to this reissue. :)

Kelloggs reps (they took over Keebler, which took over what was left of Sunshine in the late 90s) said that the limited issue will go on for about two months which means roughly through the end of October and the packages have expiration dates through March so there is time to stock up and keep the Hydrox feeling alive into 2009. After that, I would hope they would be open to bringing it back again. The Sunshine brand with the baker logo is still used only on Cheez-It and Krispy Crackers for other products (other sadly defunct Sunshine products include Hi-Ho Crackers and Chip-A-Roos chocolate chip cookies, the counterparts to Nabisco's Ritz and Chips Ahoy).

Alright, dang it-- that's it. I'm stopping by the market on the way home. With any luck, these limited edition Hydrox everybody's raving about will have made it out West as well. Meanwhile, you might want to check out the Official Hydrox Cookie Website:

Hydrox Cookies

Me too. After all, it's Monday Night Football tonight. If not found at Ralphs today, then Vons tomorrow. Then Walmart.

The Sunshine brand with the baker logo is still used only on Cheez-It and Krispy Crackers for other products (other sadly defunct Sunshine products include Hi-Ho Crackers and Chip-A-Roos chocolate chip cookies, the counterparts to Nabisco's Ritz and Chips Ahoy).

Isn't the Sunshine logo still on Oyster Crackers? (these are the best Oyster Crackers by the way....they retain their crispiness in the soup MUCH longer than other brands, which are already getting soggy as they fall from the box before they even hit the soup)

L54TX.jpg

You're right Randy, the Sunshine logo is still on the Oyster crackers but it uses the Krispy name like the Cheez-It name is used on all the other flavor varieties so I should modify my remarks to say that those are the only two names associated with Sunshine left (there's also a wheat version of Krispy saltines that uses the Sunshine logo).

Isn't the Sunshine logo still on Oyster Crackers? (these are the best Oyster Crackers by the way....they retain their crispiness in the soup MUCH longer than other brands, which are already getting soggy as they fall from the box before they even hit the soup)

L54TX.jpg

Here is the current box design, under Kelloggs management. Still has the Sunshine baker logo. I don't like it that they've gotten rid of the ship. That and the drawing of the fisherman with a pocket knife prying open an oyster that they used to have on the side of the box. They replaced the fisherman with nutrition information. We want tradition, not nutrition! :P

Krispy_Oyster.jpg

This feature on Hydrox's return on the CBS Morning News also features a glimpse of a classic Hydrox commercial with their great jingle ("You can open up a cookie, a drox filled coookie, open up and say, Hy-drox!"

Ah, the Krispy Oyster cracker now. Manhattan Clam Chowder. Killing me here.

Me too. After all, it's Monday Night Football tonight. If not found at Ralphs today, then Vons tomorrow. Then Walmart.

Okay, no Hydrox at Ralphs. I'll check Vons tomorrow. But I did bring home a couple of boxes of Sunshine Krispy Oyster Crackers. We're having chili tonight. :D

They are almost a dollar more a package here than Oreos are

I went to a different market tonight, Hydrox-2 for $5 vs. Oreo-2 for $5. Both markets put the Hydrox on the sweet spot of the end cap. Obvious promotion going on.

Jason..at least no one has figured out a way to bring up WO HOPS in this thread, that would really set you into a tail spin.. ;) (me too actually)

You got close when you wished Bogframe a happy bday and showed some of his favorites from this past year.. :lol:

Ok back to the Hydrox issue..went to Stop and Shop here in CT and tried to get some to send in a care package to Jess up in NH but no dice. I looked in Queens last week when I was in Dan's Supreme with my Dad and nothing there either. Oh well...

/ Nancy

Here's Sunshine Bakers' postcard from the 1939 New York World's Fair.

"Acts of magic, tricks and general fun." Well, sign me up! :)

post-1405-1221535250_thumb.jpg post-1405-1221535288_thumb.jpg

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">

I have also found them at P&C and Wegmans in upstate NY. At P&C they are two for $4.59. Good deal.

Don't know about you, Randy-- but I've been to three West Coast stores on my way to work this morning-- Ralph's, Vons, and Gelsons-- but no Hydrox. Maybe just an East Coast cookie?

Don't know about you, Randy-- but I've been to three West Coast stores on my way to work this morning-- Ralph's, Vons, and Gelsons-- but no Hydrox. Maybe just an East Coast cookie?

I am going to stop by my neighborhood Vons today, and perhaps Walmart, but in the meantime go to Safeway's on-line shopping site (Safeway owns Vons) and put in your zip code,

http://shop.safeway.com/superstore/

Go to Cookies

then Sandwich Cookies,

then scroll ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM OF THE LIST past the house brand 'Tuxedos'.

And there they are- described as a 'one-time buy' you can get a package for $2.50 (assuming you're registered as a Club card member). The price is only good through October 21st.