Eric Paddon

Hydrox Cookies!

The original, and greatest of all sandwich cookies (okay, I'm biased because of my family connections with Sunshine Biscuits) is back for a limited time!

http://www.hydroxcookies.com/

Back around 1998, when what was left of Sunshine was taken over by Keebler they changed the cookies to the less good "Droxies" and then those disappeared altogether around 2003. Now in response to internet petitions and phone calls, Kelloggs (which took over Keebler) has brought them back for the cookie's 100th anniversary in their original Sunshine packaging and design.

http://www.hydroxcookies.com/pdf/packaging.pdf

Needless to say we bought four packages when we first saw them in our local Kings supermarket. :)

How can they be superior to the OREO? I really can't remember Hydrox, although I am sure I've had them. Aren't the cookie layers slightly thicker, with a lighter, more brownish color? Hydrox...sounds like a nerve gas.

Choosey mothers chose Hydrox. I remember as a kid, everytime I asked Mom to pick up some Oreos when she did the weekly shopping, she'd come home with Hydrox instead. I always asked her why and she always said they look the same, taste the same and were less expensive than Oreos.

I always thought the name Hydrox was very unappealing, sounded like something from a chemistry lab. But I ate them!

I can't explain it well either but I always wanted Hydrox over Oreo. The filling tasted better. The Oreo filling has a waxy feel to it and the filling in Hydrox just melted in one's mouth. I have missed them and have not yet seen their return.

interesting.. i will have to look for these.

although i am a superfan of the Swiss Cookie... anyone have those? far superior to the chocolate cookie with creme filling :)

Their rollout looks to be limited like their return overall. I've found all of my packs at one Kings Supermarket nearby though other Kings markets haven't carried them. I need to make sure the family has enough to last until spring! :)

I'd like to see Burry's Fudgetown and Gauchos return, I miss them!

I'd like to see Burry's Fudgetown and Gauchos return, I miss them!

post-3701-1221062828_thumb.jpg

post-3701-1221062841_thumb.jpg

FudgeTown's were one of my very favorite cookies that were store bought. I rarely ever had store bought Chocolate Chip cookies of any kind being they never came close to what could be made at home.

I am eating my recently re-released Hydrox as we speak (these are better than Oreos!). Times have changed, these were MORE EXPENSIVE than the Oreos in my store ($3.19 vs $2.77). Maybe Sunshine really wants them to be temporary.

Does Wal Mart have them, or do you have to go to the higher end supermarkets to find them?

I can't find any in the NYC area!!!!!! I shall keep looking.

I wonder if any northeast chains like Price Chopper or Hanaford's has them yet?

Let me know if they are and I'll check it out too.

Yes, if anyone in NYS sees them in Wegmans, P & C, Price Chopper etc., please post here. I would like to find a package.

Thanks for the info Elizabeth! I got mine today at a pathmark in Brooklyn!

I'm a late 80s child so I hadn't heard of these cookies and I must say the creme is much better than Oreo and the cookie holds up better in milk and abosrbs milk better.

I think oreo has a better chocolaty taste.

I'm giving people in my dorm the Hydrox challenge....blindfolding them and having them eat a hydrox and oreo......so far....these 80s and 90s kids prefer hydrox over oreo, especially when using it in milk.

Hey I saw Hydrox at the market today. Never even heard of them before this thread. Bought a bag ($2.49) and I think they ARE better than Oreos. The cookie part is not as hard and absorbed milk much better. Thumbs up from me. :)

I agree that the Hydrox does perform better in Milk...glad you mentioned that.

No Wal-mart in my area stocks these, but then again no Wal-mart in my area stocks ANYTHING by Sunshine. But our local supermarkets do.

I noticed a post that mentioned getting Hydrox for $1.88! Thats a great price, one of the great things about competition, But unfortunately there is no competeion here, only one store has them stocked, and for $3.19!! The funny thing is Sunshine has a little hang tag in font of them stating the $3.19 is a TPR (Temporary Price Reduction)..so I guess they need to market these here as The SIX DOLLAR cookie for $3.19.... :D

Ohio is moderately priced to down right cheap. Generally we get new products first and are still heavily used for test marketing, which dates back to Proctor & Gamble (Cincinnati) in the 1920s. Major downside, often I’ve liked a product only to have it disappear, never to be heard of or seen again. :unsure: :( :angry: