molassesonassis

Last Expo '74 Butterfly To Be Restored

Last Expo '74 Butterfly To Be Restored

KXLY.com

Aug 24, 2008

SPOKANE - One of the remaining symbols of Expo '74, the butterfly at the north entrance of Riverfront Park, will be restored, thanks to a local group hoping to bring awareness to those suffering from lupus.

The butterfly is the last one remaining in the park. During the World's Fair in 1974, a number of the steel and fabric butterflies were around the fair grounds.

The Spokane Lupus Support Group has taken on the task of restoring the Expo symbol. They hope that the restoration of the butterfly will create better awareness of the disease and help with outreach to those battling lupus.

The group is hoping to fund the restoration through grants and private donations. They will have a booth at Pig Out at the Park next week to kick off their campaign.

Spokesperson Jocelyn Whitfield-Babcock says the group hopes to start work on the butterfly on June 1, 2009 and have it finished by October. She says the project will cost about $50,000.

Link to video story:

http://www.kxly.com/Global/story.asp?S=8892162

Is it me or does this reporter look to be about 15?

Here's one of the butterflies back in 1974:

expo74-butterfly.jpg

I spotted about 4 in different colors in my files. Nice to see another fair legacy being restored (but $50,000?)

Thanks Bill! Let's just hope the restoration has longevity for that much money.

Yeah, especially considering it looks as if the thing is decorated with plastic garbage bags.

What was the purpose of these things?  It's not exactly what I would describe as attractive. 

They had colored cloth inserts to match the themed zones. That way people who came in the Red Gate could spot the Red Butterfly and find their way out. They were BIG and it worked!

I'm guessing that in the intervening 8 years since the restoration, people lost interest in maintaining it again.

The city probably didn't let them put the panels back on. During Expo there was a staff to secure them in high winds but today they might pose a liability.