JOHNNY AT THE FAIR

Getting ready for the U.S. Open

Just flip on the tube and watch some of the network coverage of the open-- they were featuring the Unisphere and its mighty fountains all weekend long, virtually every time they went to, or came back from a station break.

unisphere-usopen.jpg

It looks almost "Fair-like"!! So beautiful!!

Just flip on the tube and watch some of the network coverage of the open-- they were featuring the Unisphere and its mighty fountains all weekend long, virtually every time they went to, or came back from a station break.

unisphere-usopen.jpg

Man i wish i had a time machine, What a beatiful place and time.

You and me both....but the US open picture is "fairly" recent (Last open maybe?).

unisphere-usopen.jpg

Hey, the Sky-Streak is still sitting on the tower. Is this photo recent?

Wasn't it taken down last week, 8/21/2008?

In a Fair Grounds that staged a World's Fair with a transportation area so focused on the "BIG 3" U.S. Automakers, see how many domestic vehicles you find in this recent parkinglot pic from the 1st post.

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=1760

unisphere-usopen.jpg

I doubt the network coverage would ever show the Fountains of the Fairs, unless one of the cameramen decided to "take a walk". Therefore, I doubt the Parks Dept does anything to get them going, since they are out of camera range from upstairs at Arthur Ashe Stadium. I would be nice if I'm wrong though.

In a Fair Grounds that staged a World's Fair with a transportation area so focused on the "BIG 3" U.S. Automakers, see how many domestic vehicles you find in this recent parkinglot pic from the 1st post.

So much for the power of the once-vaunted Unions. There were stories not that long ago of people in Detroit getting their tires slashed by union operatives if they weren't driving an American make.

Hey, the Sky-Streak is still sitting on the tower. Is this photo recent?

If the Chinese can digitally "enhance" the fireworks in the sky for Olympic network television, anything is possible! :D

It would be nice if hologram projectors could 'shoot' a Skystreak elevator onto the tracks, and even have it going up and down. Carrying the ghost of Robert Moses of course.

And as long as they're doing that, they could add blue globes at all the right places too.

Just a NOTE:

Anyboy planning to take the LIRR to visit during the US Open.

DEMAND a receipt and do not throw ANYTHING away.

The MTA has a scam going placing people exiting trains and placing hem in cattle pens. If you do not keep your expired ticket and receipt you will be forced to pay the full fare plus a $4 service charge to enter te park.

THEY DO NOT ANNOUNCE THIS ON THE TRAIN

If you are not a US Open VIP ticket holder be prepared to be treated like sh*t + be denied acess to certain paths and parts of the park by very nasty NYPD new-bee's.

If you have a pro SLR camera or tripod they may also try to take it on you.

They have a small police city set up

I was repeated harassed by NYPD and almost ended up arrested last year cutting threw the park to get to King of Corona.

My crime ?

Taking a photo of a fountain without a USTC press, tripod, photo permit.

The took my Sandisk 2 Gig media card

What happened to our PUBLIC PARK ?

Just a NOTE:

The MTA has a scam going placing people exiting trains and placing them in cattle pens. If you do not keep your expired ticket and receipt you will be forced to pay the full fare plus a $4 service charge to enter the park.

If you are not a US Open VIP ticket holder be prepared to be treated like sh*t + be denied access to certain paths and parts of the park by very nasty NYPD new-bee's.

I was repeated harassed by NYPD and almost ended up arrested last year cutting threw the park to get to King of Corona.

My crime ?

They took my Sandisk 2 Gig media card

Obviously the SD card was a cleverly molded quantity of C4 capable of taking down the NYSP and that was your plan. :P

Seriously, they do have to be careful with all the whack-jobs out there but they do need to use their heads to.

TO PROTECT AND SERVE....doesn't say anything about "thinking" or being rational does it?

Are the hospitality suites up on the fairgrounds? They tend to take over the park every year.

The USTC takes over just about EVERYTHING including most the paths and police we pay for

See my other post on the other US Open thread.

Its so wrong how the city cleans up the park for 2 weeks for all these people from Hollywood & Europe then lets it go to hell for New Yorkers who pay for it all.

I was a Securiety Guard (Garrison) for the US Open, the crowds are quite nasty type A's

All day long "Let me through I dont need a pass" "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM" "Ill get you fired" "Ill give you $500 to get that racket in the Wilson Booth"

These people were so rude and nasty they belong in cages, yet the NYPD harasses us.

I have the racket McEnrowe used to beat Jimmy Conners, (83-84 ?) he gave it to me but I know NOTHING about tennis.

I finally got caught in a dressing stall & fired for making out with some Czech player I had met ...(I wish I could remember her name, had blond hair and a very short skirt) McEnrow found it funny and gave me the racket.

The US open was OVER, Im Fired ? !!!!!!

I had to walk out CBS Gate shirtless, no pants in a towel, they took my uniform shirt off my back and pants when I wouldnt give the boss the racket.

This is what kind of people your dealing with at the USTA.

I still have the racket and John remembers the incident...Laughs !!

Yeah I remember, We coulnt miss the black shoes and brown pants peeking out the bottom of the curtain !!!

Those guys were a bunch of D**k* !!

I had it on all day yesterday for the Round 1's, and I only saw the Unisphere twice, and both times it was half obscured by text. It's not fair, I need my Unisphere down here. Bad enough we only get Unisphere for two weeks a year, but to interrupt the Unisphere shots to talk about tennis shoes......

The Unisphere really does look great on the HDTV. It's like 50 inches high! Anyone getting any caps?

I had it on all day yesterday for the Round 1's, and I only saw the Unisphere twice, and both times it was half obscured by text. It's not fair, I need my Unisphere down here. Bad enough we only get Unisphere for two weeks a year, but to interrupt the Unisphere shots to talk about tennis shoes......

The Unisphere really does look great on the HDTV. It's like 50 inches high! Anyone getting any caps?

I have an HD Camera I will go if the fountains are on and hit King Of Corona with my GF

Obviously the SD card was a cleverly molded quantity of C4 capable of taking down the NYSP and that was your plan. :P

Seriously, they do have to be careful with all the whack-jobs out there but they do need to use their heads to.

TO PROTECT AND SERVE....doesn't say anything about "thinking" or being rational does it?

These people crack me up, they have even bigger problems with tripods.

Meanwile Cannon Camera billboards are all over the park.

God forbid you get spotted with a Nikon SLR with a $600 USM lens, they come after you like Israeli commandos.

You have to be approved and buy expensive permit for every component thats only good for a couple hours to 1 day.

No police should have that much power to take your harmless stuff, no cause, no warrent, no jury

A tennes racket, sneaker laces are more to be used as a use and toss Weapon not a $1000 camera

These new NYC cops and top brass are jackasses.

Confiscating working SD Cards of fountain .TIFF's is securiety ?

I noticed on the way to and from work today that the LIRR has lots of orange vested personnel on the Woodside Station platform to "assist" the folks going to the US Open.

Just a NOTE:

The MTA has a scam going placing people exiting trains and placing hem in cattle pens. If you do not keep your expired ticket and receipt you will be forced to pay the full fare plus a $4 service charge to enter te park.

If you are not a US Open VIP ticket holder be prepared to be treated like sh*t + be denied acess to certain paths and parts of the park by very nasty NYPD new-bee's.

My crime ?

The took my Sandisk 2 Gig media card

It was nice to see the fountains around the Unisphere working. But beside that I would stay away from the whole place during these few weeks. The traffic is unbearable. The park has car's parked everywhere. And if it's true that you have to be a vip to be treated like a person. The heck with the whole place during this time. Corporate American continues to ruin America is all I can say.