Some inaccuracies & one fellow even quotes from the Robert Moses play book. Yet fun stuff.

The railroad track led to and from the L&N Main Station- the building is still right there at the north end of the the World's Fair grounds.

My dad caught a train out of that station in 1951 to leave home to join the military during the Korean War, just a couple of weeks out of high school. He grew up in Knoxville and knows all the streets like the back of his hand.

Today

1015bjthumb10_t600.jpg

Wow, what a fun look at the coming Fair. Kind of like a 1982 version of the 1964 progress report programs. I thought it was odd that in the beginning, when they were mentioning World's Fairs through history, they didn't mention Seattle in 1962 or New York in 1964-65. True, it was just a quick glance before introducing the Knoxville Fair, and not meant to be an all-inclusive history of World's Fairs (and true, 1964-65 wasn't an officially sanctioned event--and I'm sure the people behind the 1982 Fair were quick to point out that they WERE an officially sanctioned Fair), but I stilll was surprised that those two Fairs weren't mentioned--as many people who visited either or both of them would be likely targets of the effort to bring people to Knoxville.

Thanks for posting it molassesonassis!

It is surprising the narrator jumped over the two most recent US world's fairs (Seattle and NYC) but it was a very generic opening statement, I suppose. The narrator referred to every event as a world's fair including Expo which distinctly did not use that terminology. No big deal. However, the statement that Knoxville had more international participation than any fair since NYC in 1939 is just wrong. Even if he meant US fairs, the statement is wrong. And if he meant all fairs, then whoever wrote the script must not have heard of the expostions in Montreal or Osaka a decade earlier.