molassesonassis

Expo 86 & World’s Fairs Of The Past

Here’s some photos I took around the Space Tower ride at Expo 86. Nice little nod to previous world’s fairs.

post-1405-1218246243_thumb.jpgpost-1405-1218246284_thumb.jpg

post-1405-1218246264_thumb.jpgpost-1405-1218246306_thumb.jpg

post-1405-1218246325_thumb.jpgpost-1405-1218246363_thumb.jpg

The ride:

post-1405-1218246457_thumb.jpgpost-1405-1218246494_thumb.jpg

Like any world’s fair nut I saved my ticket stub:

post-1405-1218246557_thumb.jpg

I have a ton of Expo 86 stuff and will start digging through it. I wish Arcadia did books on Canadian subjects, as it would be a thrill to cover Expo 67 and Expo 86.

I have a ton of Expo 86 stuff and will start digging through it. I wish Arcadia did books on Canadian subjects, as it would be a thrill to cover Expo 67 and Expo 86.

You could always self-publish at lulu.com :)

Out of the 4 world’s fairs (74,82,84 & 86) I’ve been to, Expo 86 was far and above my favorite. It was just fun, a cool place for a teenager. Loved everything about it. Got to see the Eurythmics and bought the highly coveted “official” Swatch Watch in all 4 colors. Had a great dinner at the Moscow Restaurant. Who could forget the Spirit Lodge? Naturally there’s NO comparison to the 39, 64 or 67 fairs but in its own time and place it was a well executed fair.

On a personal aside, it was the last good time my nuclear family and I had. My Father had a significant brain tumor removed in May that year and our expo trip uncertain, but he made it. We had a wonderful time but after that, as is the case with brain tumors his personality changed and he slowly deteriorated into a radically different person over the intervening years. Nonetheless we’ll always have expo.

From among my souvenirs:

post-1405-1218251418_thumb.jpgpost-1405-1218251557_thumb.jpg

post-1405-1218251373_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

We've talked recently about similarities between World's Fairs and the Olympic Games as an event or spectacle, and if you liked Vancouver in '86, you have a chance to go back two years from now for a repeat performance in the form of the Winter Olympics. I'm very tempted myself, since it's really not that far from us here on the west coast.

Lulu might be a way to go, but I doubt I could sell anywhere as near as many copies as Arcadia. I'm on target to finish the 1984 World's Fair book this weekend, then it will be time to clean up a bit (research material has taken over my office and too much of the rest of the house) before I tackle another one just yet.

For those of you who may wonder whether any Expo 86 facilities will be used for the 2010 Olympics, not directly. The south eastern section of the site just underneath the former Expo Center is being developed for use as part the Olympic Village for the 2010 Winter Olympics.

As far as infrastructure built for Expo 86 and will be used in 2010, the SkyTrain - an elevated rapid transit system- it has been expanded several times and there are plans for another soon.

Canada Place- the Canadian Government pavilion- is now a major downtown convention centre and cruise ship docks. It has seen major use over the years and was expanded to allow for bigger cruise ships to dock in 1999.

It expected that numerous cruise ships will dock for the duration of the Winter Games and serve as floating hotels for visitors.

BC Place- already existing sports stadium used for the opening ceremony for Expo 86. Likewise, it will be used for the Opening and Closing ceremonies for the Olympics, and nightly medal presentation ceremonies (the podium/flag-raising/national anthem thing).

Here's an interesting one.

The Inukshuk that was built for the Northwest Territories Pavilion is now used as a landmark on English Bay beach, but it is also now doubling as the official logo for the 2010 Winter Olympics.

fa6a7850-0b86-4a69-a906-06476281ab3a.jpg

van_2010_logo.jpg

Didn’t know they were hosting the 2010 winter Olympics. I’ve been back a few times as a good buddy took a newspaper job out there. Vancouver is still a very impressive city.

Arcadia has asked if I would be interesting in helping them re-launch in Canada by doing a book on Expo 86. I'm working on the detailed proposal now. Wish me luck!

• Like 1

Arcadia has asked if I would be interesting in helping them re-launch in Canada by doing a book on Expo 86. I'm working on the detailed proposal now. Wish me luck!

Judging from your past work I am sure it will be a success!

I submitted the proposal last Wednesday. I'm happy to say they accepted it and work has begun! I think I have just about everything I'll need in terms of photos in hand, but I'm always looking for volunteers to help with proofreading, obscure fact verification, etc. If anyone is an Expo 86 fan and would like to help out please let me know.

Thanks

Bill

• Like 1

If I remember correctly somewhere near the east gate was a turn-style (sp?) from Expo 67.

I have a picture of it. Just not sure where. <_<

The Expo 86 book is nearing completion. Here's the layout for the cover.

expo86-cover-proof.jpg

If anyone is interested in proofreading or fact checking the manuscript please let me know.

No stopping now, Bill-- you've embarked on a track that practically demands you become the published authority on all World's Fairs and Expos. And I, for one, will happily line up to buy every new volume.

Very impressive that you are able to complete these books Bill. I'll work on some extra money to see if I can purchase them. The only one I have seen is the one about the 1964 New York fair with the Unisphere on the front, and it was very nice to see some photos never seen before! I do plan on buying the one about the 1939 fair when it comes out next month!

Best luck

Jœy

Thanks for the words of encouragement, they're much appreciated. I'm never going to get rich on these things, but they're fun to do. And if they spark interest in future fairs, so much the better.

I do hope they will want one on Expo 67. It remains one of my favorite fairs, and I have a wealth of information on it. I've already started the wheels going on it, and will be putting a detailed proposal together for that very soon. I'll keep you all posted.