bobster1985

Standing on top of the Perisphere

"Show me one of someone standing on top of the Trylon and I'll really be impressed."

I couldn't resist:

1938TRYLONcopyrightEKL.jpg

Trylon Light Installation 1938, © EKL 2008

MB B)

Hi All,

I have one of these Kodak Photogarden slides from 1939 - this is not a great scan but it does not look too bad. Enjoy :)

PTUKODAK.jpg

Kodak Photogarden candid souvenir 35mm Kodachrome slide, 1939 NYWF © EKL 2008

Best,

Eric MB

Hi Alll,

while I have just the one slide of the Kodak Photogarden I have many b/w prints of this popular area with all sorts of people; men, women, young guys and girls, children and some of the seldom photographed Salvador Dali Kodak installation as well. This one shows a more complex Theme Center mock-up than usual.

:) Enjoy.

PTUkodakgirl.jpg

Souvenir Kodak Photogarden photographic print, 1940 NYWF, © EKL 2008

Best,

MB

Great shots, MB-- especially the bulb changer-- what a view that guy must've enjoyed, eh? :o

And funny how the lady chose to pose behind the Perisphere. Must not have liked her dress! :P

??? can't see any of MB's pix

39-kodak-perisphere.jpg

Married, or not married? ....may the speculation begin! What are the telltale signs? :D

Would anybody but a henpecked husband wear a fluted handerchief like that in his breast pocket?

Or was he dressed to the nines to impress his girl, and nobody who's already walked the aisle would go to that much trouble?

And what about her? She looks like she might be a bit older than him. Maybe in her mid-30's?

You could zoom in with your high def scanner to look for wedding rings, but it looks like she's wearing gloves, and he's hiding both of his ring fingers.

Lastly, I assume this was a pay-a-photographer operation, as was typical at most Fairs of the first half of the century.

Would a married couple be more willing to pay their depression-era money for a souvenir posed photo than would a dating couple?

I can't detect anything in their pose, or in their facial expressions, that give any clues.

Although now that I look at it, although he has extended a 'courtesy arm' behind her, he seems to be leaning slightly away from her, toward the Trylon.

That nails it for me. They're married. :P

Here's another Kodak picture spot - letting folks pretend they were on the Parachute Jump:

nywf39-kodak-parachute.jpg

Looks thrilled, doesn't he? :P

No wonder he's thrilled..... .....gives a whole new perspective on a shady character wearing a trenchcoat.... :D

66057_F_For_the_Biggest_Thrill-_Come_Down_to_the_Worlds_Fair.jpg

Hi All,

there were instructors there at Kodak to give all manner of advice, but these photographs (we all must have several) were do-it-yourself.

MB

Show me one of someone standing on top of the Trylon and I'll really be impressed.

MB's Trylon photo is gone :(

Here is one for Bill and one for everyone :)

post-4303-124476846223_thumb.png

post-4303-124476850884_thumb.png

Isn't there a Richard Wurts photograph in the Stanley Applebaum book showing Wurts hanging out of the top of the unfinished Trylon and snapping a picture of the Fairgrounds below?

post-434-124482103455_thumb.jpg

1938 Trylon Bulb installation taken by Fair Employee througn a Big Bertha lens.© EKL 2009

Sorry for small image Joey - all I have at the moment. :( And I had one heck of a time attaching it. Image archives seem to non-functional as well. This will be my last photo attachment.

Best,

Eric

Bill, I think there is another famous photograph of Margaret Bourke White on one of the massive aluminum gargoyles of the Chrysler Building and she is holding a huge camera and taking shots of the city below. I cannot even imagine being in such a position!

Jim

Glad to see I can attach photos on this thread. This is an image from the new NYPL Fair additions, showing the construction of the Theme Center framework, with the inset being a worker installing the Trylons light!