molassesonassis

1937 Great Lakes Expo Windshield Sticker

post-1405-1217999806_thumb.jpg

I know you did and I'm grateful. Much, much more to come too!

When I was a teenager I gave a talk to a local antiques club on world’s fairs. A couple in their 80s came and she was a Yeomanette at the GLE. She came wearing her hat, exactly like the one on the sticker. Long story short, she met her husband at the expo when she fished him out of Lake Erie when he mis-stepped exiting the boat. Cute couple & sweet story.

Stories like that are not uncommon, although 'fishing him out of the water' is cute.

I met a couple who met at the 1939-40 GGIE on Treasure Island.

He worked there as a "runner" for the official Fair photographer, Gabriel Moulin. Gabe Moulin would shoot photos of visiting VIPs, have the runner run the plates or film back to the photographer's on-site lab and have prints made immediately, then run the prints back before the VIP even left the premises. A interesting job!

Anyway "she" worked at one of the pavilions doing something or other- I don't remember. And they met there at the Fair, ended up getting married, and are still married today! They both still think their jobs there at the Fair in 1939 and 1940 were the best jobs they ever had. They are retired, but travel much of the year from town to town selling picture postcards (including from the GGIE- which they can explain every view on every postcard, since many were shot by Moulin, and this guy was his runner!)

Over the last few years we've also probably found five or six couples who met while working at the NYWF in '64-65, and ended up getting married.

And sadly, one case where "meeting somebody at the Fair" ended up breaking up a marriage.

I don't think we've found anybody yet who got married after working in the same pavilion. Too much familiarity isn't the greatest stimulus for romance I guess.

What I want to know is- did the guy fall in the drink on purpose hoping this gal would pull him out? :D If he did, would he admit it after all these years?

:lol: Wish I knew. The talk I gave was back in (gasp) 1985 so sadly I deduce the couple is no longer with us.