Just like today, what the media chooses to call things is based to a large degree on the political motivations of the editorial staff, and not much else. When exactly 'another European War' became recognized as 'World War II' is an interesting question, and which newspaper starting using the term first?

Today's examples of editorial political spinning is so numerous it's hard to even know where to start.

So Israel's measured, responsive strikes become 'incursions'. That's just one of many. 'Liberating' becomes 'Occupying'.

I thought it pretty cool that the fireworks show featured sinking submarines and battleships, and Westinghouse's Microvivarium (kills germs with sterilizing rays) [sounds like a Microwave] was renamed Micro-blitzkrieg. I wonder where they got that from" B)

Who said the Joymans weren't at the World's Fair? They practically took over the place!

That Battle of Emotions even sounds like the Gestapo, with Kraut Frauleins tempting the best of American Youth, who are hooked up to an electronic truth serum. Who knows what national secrets were spilled, right there at the World's Fair.

I did a historical proquest search on the New York Times - "World War II" is mentioned at least as early as Feb 18 1940. The article is about if FDR should run for a 3rd term. World War II is mentioned in quite a few articles soon after that too.

I have had fun searching for World's Fair articles in the New York Times in the past. I found a lot of interesting stuff...

Just for reference.

post-1405-1217996427_thumb.jpg

I found these 2 aerial photos in a search result from an auction site. Can't remember where, but both photos sold. Hope no one minds me adding them here, for use with the map.

post-4043-1218327353_thumb.jpgpost-4043-1218327373_thumb.jpg

Hi Coronation Scot,

nice photographs - both 1939. I did find a truly fabulous color slide, actually a portrait, of the engine you are interested in. Once I am past this current deadline (tonight! :) ) I will scan and post a small sman.

Best,

MB

The map originally appeared in The New Yorker magazine. They also published a 1939 version. That 1939 version appears in the Time-Life series, This Fabulous Century, in the section entitled, "The Big Fair." It can be used as a reference for the changes made between 1939 and 1940. The Great White Way, for example, was a 1940 change. It had been the Amusement Zone in 1939.

Here's another 1940 NYWF map I just received this week: Railroads on Parade.

(the blur is just 2 layers because it was scanned in 2 halves).

post-4043-1220478533_thumb.jpg

The red loco "LMS 6220 Coronation", as in my avatar, was on the far left of the map, in the bottom lefthand corner, with 8 carriages.