Just for reference.

post-1405-1217996427_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mo !

Now I can speak a common language with the 39-40 WF fans.

And to get you to the world of tomorrow in style :

The caption states it's a world's fair trolley on Harding and Rodman dated 1938 on a test run.

Was there a special model of trolley car specifically for the WF ? I'm assuming it was running on what is today College Pt Blvd following the present day Q-58 bus route.

DC

Nice Map! The underpass up by Kodak labeled World's Fair Boulevard still exists I believe. We walked under it during the SIP. The difference in construction from the Van Wyck and LIE is quite noticeable.

So the Original Schaefer center is where Kodak would be in 64, and the original Kodak is where the FNCB and Garden of Medication was in 64. Very interesting!!

Hi,

Yup - 1940. There are a ton of differences between this and a 1939 Fair map. Way to many to list here in one shot. When I have the energy I'll start a list. Well, I'll start it now...Trey? I'm sure you have stuff to add...

For starters:

1) The Parachute Jump has been moved

2) Home Improvements is renamed

3) The Netherlands Building is closed

4) Operations is closed/unidentified

5) The Maritime Building is closed

6) Heinz is altered (Goddess of Perfection has been added)

7) Consumers is now Fashion

8) Coca-Cola is where a Food building was

9) Contemporay Art is replaced wuth American Art Today

Will add more when I can

MB :)

Dream of Venus is gone, replaced by ???

Oh while we are here, this prooves once and for all that despite rumours, the 1964 Florida Pavilion was NOT built on the pilings from the 1939 Florida Pavilion.

The 1964 Florida Pavilion was built on the pilings of the Terrace Club. That should quash all doubts!!

And my dream of a world's fair special trolley is crushed. It's only a regular old PCC car !

post-1280-1218067719_thumb.png

post-1280-1218067773_thumb.png

Hey, isn't Word's Fair Blvd the renamed Harding Blvd ?

The Frank Goldsmith credited on the first photo, isn't the same Frank Goldsmith who was a Titanic survivor?

I am sure there is already a 1939 map in another tread but I thought it might be fun to have both a 1939 and a 1940 map in the same thread. THANKS for posting the 1940 map!

I think these are close to complete 1939 maps - They are both early maps though and some things may have changed later in the summer.

One from The New Yorker (early 1939) and one is a painting from April 1939 National Geographic

post-3962-1218076427_thumb.jpg

post-3962-1218077290_thumb.jpg

post-3962-1218077304_thumb.jpg

Yeah, nice map! What was Beechnut, a chewing gum pavilion? Too wacky!

I think they made baby food to.

Oh while we are here, this prooves once and for all that despite rumours, the 1964 Florida Pavilion was NOT built on the pilings from the 1939 Florida Pavilion.

The 1964 Florida Pavilion was built on the pilings of the Terrace Club. That should quash all doubts!!

This is where that story came from- the official final report of the Florida World's Fair Authority, published in 1966.

I suppose it is possible that the NYWF Corporation, when digging and leveling for the Meadow Lake Parking Lot near Gate 5, pulled out those old Florida Pavilion pilings, and made them available to the new Florida Pavilion contractor a few feet away.

...or....they could have simply uncovered the Terrace Club pilings and mistakenly thought they were from the old Florida Pavilion.

In either case, it's impressive how well pilings like that stood up after 25 years, situated right next to a moist lake.

Florida_pilings.jpg

I think they said it because it makes interesting press, and most people really didn't know the difference. What was the terrace club anyway?

[color-coded 1940 map, which proved to be erroneous, now removed from this topic along with discussion responses, in order to avoid future confusion.]

[color-coded 1940 map, which proved to be erroneous, now removed from this topic along with discussion responses, in order to avoid future confusion.]

And with that we take you now back to the Terrace Club. Ramon Raquello and his orchestra. :D

What was the terrace club anyway?

"Look at this brochure, sahib. They have a retirement club for us, in a meadow next to a lake!"

osama_in_cave.gif

That's twisted! lol

salvisor dali pavillion renamed 1000 legs under the dea in 1940

sorry for the mess up this is what i wanted to say

the salvidor dali pavillion was renamed 1000 legs under the sea for 1940.he walked away from building because he didn't like the way the exhibit

turned out

salivador dali pavillion renamed 1000 legs under the sea in 1940

Can't find any 1000 legs on the 1940 map. Do you know which building was the Dali/1000 legs?

Gibson really ruined the 1940 season. One little fact about Mr. Gibson; he was asleep at the wheel during the 1939 season and is partially to blame for its deficit. When Gibson signed on as head of the finance committee he had it contractually stipulated that the executive committee & board of directors COULD NOT overrule the finance committee. When the fairs financial woes began in early July of 39, Mr. Gibson was on vacation in New Hampshire and refused to return to NYC. He felt it wasn’t his problem. (Go figure?!) Mayor LaGuardia had to threaten him to get him to return. As for the bonds that paid 40-something cents on the dollar, most were bought by business/corporations and they anticipated the loss and eventually wrote it off.

(Interesting how the Time article refers to the May 1940 European and Asian conflicts, prior to America's entry, as "World War II."

I wonder when it dawned on America that what they were seeing across the oceans crossed a sufficient threshold to rename the "Great War", "World War I" and identify the breadth and gravity of what they faced as yet a sequel to - the war to end all wars- .

I wonder what exact date that heartbreaking editorial decision was made.)