Sign in to follow this  
Park Bench

What WF foods or drinks do you remember fondly?

Did you know that Cotton Candy was developed for the 1904 World's Fair?

Yup! it was a hit! Cotton candy, then known as fairy floss, did make its debut at that fair....

(...I am now going to let that 'fairy floss' factoid just sit there as I slowly back away :rolleyes: )

1904 also was the birthplace of the crisp waffle type ice cream cone, and gave America it's appetite for iced tea, hot dogs, hamburgers, the club sandwich and peanut butter (though they were developed elsewhere)!

So, what do you fondly recall from World's Fair 1964? What food or drink did you wait on lines for again & again?

What delicacies came about or were made popular at all the other Fairs or Expos???

Help me and the Pine Restaurant of Queens create a custom menu for our World's Fair Show & Sale ?

I have invited the Pine's owner/ manager to read this thread.

Buon Apetit!

daBench

post-2-1215988024_thumb.png

Hi Bench,

I thought Fairy Floss was first introduced in 1900 at the Paris Exposition?

MB

Perhaps Eric. I know you to be a scholar of expos. If you say so - I will do further research. Thank you for the heads up.

dB

Hi Bench,

there is some data below about this being a myth, and there is a lot online as well, including it's appearance at Paris. Some have its invention going back to 1857! I think the website is correct in saying it was "popularized" at St. Louis.

1904 St. Louis WF Myths

Best,

MB

Thanks again Eric.

When I post here I want to be current and accurate.

I am asking folks for snacks they associate with World's Fairs.

I planned a festive - social gathering next Sunday.

I don't mind mind "Fairy Floss" being disputed - but listed on the party menu.

Trusting you will partner in my next, 1939 centered event,

I remain Yours Truly.

daBench

Hi Bench,

Well, call me crazy, but I never really associated food with any Fair - beyond the architectural brilliance of Wonderbread in '39 and related structures, but Wonderbread might be a little bland for the Pine Restaurant! ;) I am too caught up in light, color, architecture and all.

I'll not be able to be a part of your 1939 event, especially if next year, as I am embarking on a 16 month odyssey I'll reveal at a later date that will have me occupied completely. In fact, after the current books and articles I have been honored to be a part of are published/completed, I am stopping all painting/digital commissions, liner related research, writing and restorations! :o

Best wishes as always,

MB

wasn't the waffle cone introduced at a world's fair as well?

i wish i could make this event, but i am going to be away that weekend....

but if i could mention any foods that remind me of fairs it would be the Belgian Waffle... since i have been home from london, i crave a belgian waffle from the little belgian waffle stand down the street from my dorm.

hope you get enough responses to make for a diverse menu... but at the very least, you'll have one hell of a desert spread!