Sign in to follow this  
Dave Kelly

"It's a Small World" Parodies

ROTFL...at my own jokes!

Oh, I'm so funny! C'mon, you radio station managers, make me another offer. I won't lose your card this time.

(Aw, don't be angry with me, Neil and Elizabeth. I'm only kiddin around.)

That softball image is so funny! I'm sorry, but those Small World puppets bring out the worst in me!

Once when we were teenagers we took the long subway ride from Inwood in upper Manhattan to Coney Island. We were trying to knock down some puppets behind a fence with softballs. The puppets were probably the same crew who later got jobs singing "It's a Small World After All" at the Fair and later at Disneyland. Well, we noticed that the puppets had a lot of hairy fur that the softball would just sail right through. But then, even when we smacked the little puppets (heh heh) with the softballs they still wouldn't go down, and consequently we failed to win the very valuable cupie doll prizes. Well we finally got in a big argument with the crooked carny who was running the joint. He made a signal and a pack of carny plug-uglies came marching over, so we left in a hurry, minus small change or cupie dolls.

I'm telling ya, those puppets are a bad bunch. They hang around with a rough crowd. Don't be fooled by their silly song.

Disneys Patriotic Puppet was a sitting duck!

In that fantastic "Persistance of Vision" double issue; "Disney at the Fair", there is the story of mysterious chips in Mr. Lincoln's porcelin teeth and small dents about his face and forehead. They watched more and more damage without a clue, until someone notice an accumulation of shiny ball-brearings on the stage. The Disney people wentby Sinclair and the Tire pleaded with SKF(!) to hand out thier sample ball bearings one-per-kid instead of in handfuls!!!

OK, we've exhausted the "fun" part of this topic, now we should look at "IASW" from the perspective of the wonderment felt by a six year old child seeing and hearing this for the first time in 1964. Surely, we all understand the delight that we hope a child feels upon seeing the many dolls and audio animatronics figures in action. The music and voices of the children of the world is an experience that is certainly well remembered by every visitor, young or old. There's a significant philosophy in the lyrics. That's why it continues thirty-seven years later at every Disney park in the world and has been seen by millions. As I type, I am listening to it on TAPE I and the reality of hearing this reproduced as recorded in the early days of The Fair tells me that it was intended to be everlasting. So, Elizabeth, I do feel the same as you do, all kidding set aside. (No pun intended).

We must put aside our likes and dislikes for the little cretins singing their heads off (if only they did). I am not here to settle the argument. As the mayor of Chicago once said, "I am not here to create disorder I am here to preserve disorder" The real question is a simple question, did anyone ever get any ball bearings from SKF, or anything else?

Also, I have finished my canvassing regarding the two different 1964 guidebooks, the tally stands at six to one. That is one guide that has Moses with the Unisphere behind him on page ten for every six where he is alone, get them while you can. Ebay item numbers 537079222, 540210215 and 540254159 are first issues of the 1964 Official Guide.

After thought; forget the softballs we could have use the baseball bats from the Ford Pavilion.

Elizabeth and Ray - Oh, definitely. You are right. I sure don't want to detract from any happy memories that anyone has. I was just kidding around.

I found this picture on the net. It looks like It's a Small World and the picture was dated 1964. Was there any part of the ride you could stand and pose like this?

<a href=" 1964 Cindy and Stacey" target="_blank"> 1964 Cindy and Stacey</a>

Don't know, Chairman... but it was awfully cruel for that chimp to slip that headgear on that poor girl.

Meanwhile, even though I'm oh, like, five years late to this thread... I'd still like to contribute at least one humorous Small World parody... even though it was slightly insidious.

In the movie SHREK, when Shrek and Donkey first arrive in the Kingdom of Duloc to meet with Lord Farquaad, they are greeted by a series of child-like animatronic figures who sing a very annoyingly familiar little ditty which DreamWorks very obviously designed to be a musical nose-thumbing at their enemies next door in Burbank.

A very funny number which you may now view here, courtesy of You Tube:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3r0_ZlV-2M" target="_blank">"Welcome to Duloc"</a>

-Trey

P.S. - I'll bet you fifty Disney Dollars that "Duloc" is a DreamWorks crafted anagram for some kind of Disney-aimed insult-- but I have no idea what it is... yet.

Since this topic started, we can add the Charlie and The Chocolate Factory parody.

I thought the puppets looked great. Until they caught on fire.

Best, and funniest, part of the movie.

There is an early SNL skit in which a family is stuck in the Small World boat for hours when the ride breaks down (however the music is able to play fine, over and over). Finally Belushi can't take it anymore and jumps overboard.

Family Guy did a parody as well... i'll try and find the link to a video of it.

i remember they sang the song "its a tiny, tiny world" and the charachter Stewie was forced against his will to be a kid in the ride...if i can find a clip you will understand better...