Sign in to follow this  
Larry L

Urban Ruins - Interesting website!

Includes pictures of the Fair.

Appoligies if this has been already posted here someplace.

<a href="http://www.streetfossils.com/ruins/fair/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.streetfossils.com/ruins/fair/index.html</a>

Larry, you have won our heartfelt thanks for being the 500th post under the GENERAL Forum.

What? You were expecting maybe an all-expense paid trip to the Fair?

HeHeHe biggrin.gif

Bill

OH NO! Larry Lief, THAT'S NOT ALL...

As Our Special Thank You for Playing PTU...

Don Pardo? Tell him will 'ya?!

(audience ooh - ahhs, reveal prize,)

"Here is a promotional record put out by the Travelers Insurance Companies, for the 1964-65 World's Fair. The record is on Red Wax and pressed by RCA. The Vinyl is in excellent shape, usually this item is found and the vinyl is beat. This disc plays at 33 1/3 rpm, and talks of the exhibit,"The Triumph of Man". The record is a summation andrememberance of the exhibit. The narration is by Peter Thomas, script by Robert P. Davis, and music performed by the Hartford Symphony Orchesta, under the direction of Fritz Mahler. The fold out sleeve is in very good condition without any tears, and only minor wear. Money orders and personal checks are the only forms of payment I accept...OOPS I MEAN IT'S YOURS! for playing here at PTU!!!!!

Oct.'65, over thirty-five years ago.

I miss driving that bus, the sound of the airbrakes...

Actually, though, I think I had more fun the first year, '64, when I was driving the Glide-a-Ride. I got to give my funny improvised guided tour, and right out in the open like that, driving slowly through the crowds I got to meet more people, including old chums from grade school who I hadn't seen for years, and have never seen since.

I'm really lucky I didn't get fired (I came pretty close a time or two). Don't tell any ol' Greyhound bosses who may be lurking around here, or Pinkerton Guards (my nemeses), but I remember tooling along towards the Lake Amusement Area one balmy evening with two pretty girls sitting on either side of me in my Glide-a-Ride cab.

Then there were those rather unfortunate incidents with the Dempsey Dumpsters (well, they shouldn't have put them there!).

And then there was - uh - that- uh - little problem with my - uh - back door on chaotic opening day '64 (before I got switched to GAR's for '64), while I was totally lost and confused, surrounded by a big parade, guys banging on drums, tooting on trombones, the screams of the injured trapped in the door (I wasn't good at the controls yet)...

P.S. Divine Retribution Dept.:

I was visiting in Edinburgh, Scotland last spring, riding a double decker bus. I didn't know how the rear exit door worked and I managed to get my foot caught in it, and I couldn't get it out! The freakin driver looked like a Pinkerton Guard!

Larry, a million thanks for all of the memories of the Fair you've shared with us! They are always fun, interesting, entertaining. They are exactly the stuff that the Bulletin Board was intended for. Please, keep 'em coming!

Bill

• Like 1

On 1/4/2001 at 6:12 AM, Larry L said:

Oct.'65, over thirty-five years ago.

55 years ago:

Me in Glide a Ride at NYWF.jpg